Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Super easy ~ wonderful cat or dog bed tutorial

Super easy ~ wonderful cat or dog bed tutorial

This link is how you can make a wonderful fur baby bed. I've made several and it can be done in less than hour. I'll post pictures of my version with our two kitties, Kip-Purr the yellow Tom and Girlie Girl the princess of the house.
    Name:  2011_1221Image0019.JPG
Views: 2604
Size:  668.0 KBName:  2011_1221Image0012.JPG
Views: 2640
Size:  703.2 KB

What I have learned in making several is that when you think you have enough fiber fill, add more and then when you think you've added more, add a little more. They love 'nesting' and pad pawing to make it 'just right'. When it looks like a balloon it's just about right :0)

I've washed these several times and they wash/dry beautifully. Oh my do they love it right out of the dryer! So here's the link hope your fur babies love this super simple/easy bed.
    http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=236744.0
    Last edited by onaemtnest; 02-29-2012 at 11:47 AM.
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

Very cute!! Did you make them out of fleece? What adorable kitties too.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Power Poster
    Your cats look so comfortable! I want one and I don't even own a cat. Thanks for sharing the idea and tutorial because I do know someone who would love one for their cat. A great Christmas idea!

Hi QuiltnLady,Yes I used fleece as the fringe is just tied/knotted, plus it's easy care. Thanks for the compliments on Kip-Purr and Girlie Girl...I hope you try making the beds, several family members and friends all say their kitties love them.

We have a long haired Dachshund mix who though he's far too big, try as he might he cannot fit into them...to funny! I guess I should make Rusty one but he's always hot and I think he'd tire of it quickly! LOL

We did when we were back to Denver at Christmas make a bed for our son's Lab all 90#'s of him and then our son's friend's wanted one for their Lab and so on and so on... :0).Name:  2011_1221Image0014.JPG
Views: 2448
Size:  719.4 KB
    Last edited by onaemtnest; 02-29-2012 at 12:51 PM.
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

Thats the best Pet bed EVER!!!!

Your cats look so comfy. Great looking kitty beds.

Thanks for posting, the beds are so cute. I think I will try one for my kitty, but it will have to be pretty big. I weighed her the other day and she's a little over 16 lbs. May have to put her on a diet. Now, where did I put that fleece I bought a year or so ago.

Blog Entries
    Yep. I love this . Gonna make one for my cat, George. Thanks a bunch.

That's wonderful and looks so easy! Great tute! Thank you! Just the thing for my sister's cat!

ha! I love the group picture ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    How adorable ... Thanks for sharing the link !
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

That is the perfect item to make for fundraisers/craft fairs! I can't wait to make one for my dog. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Oh that looks so cosy! I'm sure my lady of the house would love to have one too
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

super cute, thanks for sharing
    Quilting makes me happy!..

great pet bed, but think my pom, Rusty, would be to hot. Nice job. Barb
    be happy

Love your kitties and it looks like they LOVE these beds! Thank you for posting.

That is so cute and just too easy not to make. My cat will love it, I hope, so she will get out of my chair. I may try one for our dog, but I will have to work on making it bigger. Thanks for sharing.
    It is what it is ...deal with it.

thank you for letting us know about this i am going to try to make one for my dog!! she is a 78 pound rot!!

Blog Entries
    Very Cute! Now tell me how to make them for a Great Dane and a Rottweiler!

Love the bed. Will be making a few of those. To keep and to give as gifts. Thanks so much for sharing this project. It's really great. Your Boston is so cute. I have a Boston Terrier to.

Quote Originally Posted by galvestonangel View Post
    That is so cute and just too easy not to make. My cat will love it, I hope, so she will get out of my chair. I may try one for our dog, but I will have to work on making it bigger. Thanks for sharing.
    This is precisely why I made them so the cats would use them and not lie directly on the furniture. :0) As you can see they prefer the cuddle of the fleece bed wrapping around them.

To make the bed bigger and I have, for our Grand Puppies....90# Labs you just don't fold the fleece and cut the semi-circle....you buy the yardage and layer the fleece. It really isn't an exact science once you make them, its very forgiving it doesn't even have to be a perfect circle. Once you snip the edges and tie ~ it all comes 'together' no matter the shape. I would think you could even make it square. The snipped edges roll the edges inward once you start tying it. So this technique can be used for any size dog.
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
    ha! I love the group picture ;-)
    love that picture too...precious. I will make a cat bed for my cat, Twilight and hopefully make some for the shelter. Thanks for the tut.

Your yellow kitty made me laugh out loud this morning. He looks so proud of himself. Thanks for the link, I have 3 dogs and a step cat so I am going to try to make the beds for everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
    Very Cute! Now tell me how to make them for a Great Dane and a Rottweiler!
    You can do it! :0)

I've made one for our friend who has a Rottie ~ her girl is really a stout big cattle ranch working dog. Just by the yardage, I think, if I remember I bought the widest fleece available 56" ~ layered two pieces ~ cut the circle with a quilt tape ruler the long tape I think it's 108". You can even join pieces easily as fleece is so forgiving. It's going to take a lot of poly fill to fill that big of bed. My girlfriend bought a 5# box of poly fill and we used nearly all of it, if I remember correctly.

My friends Rottie is a cattle dog and I made a fleece coat for her Rottie and lined (stuffed between the layers) with the left over poly fiber fill. Because her dog goes out in sub-zero weather with my friend when it's calving time, she'd get so cold...now she won't even get out of the truck until my friend puts her coat on her. :0)
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

Quote Originally Posted by echoemb View Post
    Your yellow kitty made me laugh out loud this morning. He looks so proud of himself. Thanks for the link, I have 3 dogs and a step cat so I am going to try to make the beds for everybody.
    Isn't the yellow Tom, Kip-Purr a hoot! He's got relaxation down to a fine science :0) Your going to be amazed at how easy and wonderful these beds are to make! Be sure and post pictures! Fleece is so inexpensive especially right now...Poly Fill in 5# boxes with coupon at JoAnn's...
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast