Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Taking it one day at a time.. >

Taking it one day at a time..

Taking it one day at a time..

Old 06-23-2009, 09:48 AM

I am praying for Morgan and your family. Everyone has give you great suggestions, many of which I would have give you too. Don't be afraid to ask for help, many people would just love to be able do something to help your family.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:17 AM

The school would be a terrific place to start too. Her classmate's parents may be able to watch the other children and/or drive you to the hospital. They could get donations of foodstuffs, a cupcake sale, a whole lot of things and I bet they would be more than happy to help her and your family.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:23 AM

school has been closed for more than a week...I tried e-mailing someone at the school who worked with my son, and his learning disabilities...I dont have much time right now, and my brain is certainly mush...so Im just trying to think of little things I can do for right now...My neighbor has been amazing...she is down asking the local paper to write an article on her, and she went to a bank to try and set up a donation account fund for us...Money will be a big issue, escpecially with 3 other kids at home..gas, and food, and just the little things....My 4 yr old asked me for a DS...she told me she is scared, and would like a game to help her relax...I think because I can't get it for her right now, it makes my heart break all the more...
I did call the hospital multiple times today since I am not there, they finaly have her resting calmly...which is all I can really ask for right now/ not being there is so hard. We really don't have a single answer right now to share...because no one has any for me..sorry...
Old 06-23-2009, 10:24 AM

Ask too for Pastoral Care at the hospital. They can be a wonderful resource. Maybe they could be a visitor when you can't be there.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

countrymaid, that's an excellent idea. There are probably candystripers/volunteers, who could drop by once in a while, just to let her know she is not alone.
It's times like these, that being so far from all of you on this board, is hard. I think most of us, would jump in our car, if only we could.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:54 PM

Jaime - my prayers to you and your family. If you don't have a toll-free # to the hospital, make sure that when you call the Social Services person that you ask him to call you right back so he is paying for the call instead of you. Whenever a doctor calls you, tell them that you are still waiting for help and they might be kind enough to give Social Services a kick in the ass! So good that you have a friend that you can "put to work" doing calls and requests and other tasks that you can't possibly be able to do at this point just because of sheer exhaustion and worry. She will be your energy for now. God Bless her! The pastor service could be a very good source for you if they know what your situation is. Can you camp your other children out with friends for the weekend at least so you and your husband can go to the hospital then and not worry about home for a few hours? Bet your friend could make some calls and get that to happen for you, if you don't have family nearby. Please PM me if you have Irving Gas stations near you and include your home address - I have a gas gift card I will gladly mail to you. If you have a toll-free # to the hospital, talk with the charge nurse and sometimes they are the ones with the heart that can make extraordinary things happen, too. You need all the angles (and angels) you can find now, so if you can do the hospital calls and your friend(s) can do other calls, that will help spread the load.
Please let us know if you cannot call the hospital for free, and maybe some of us could send calling cards to you if that's a need.
Our prayers for your strength!
Old 06-23-2009, 05:26 PM

Jamie- definitely call Ronald McDonald house. I build doll house for them to auction off for charity. if they cant help you I would be stunned.

Lisa
Old 06-23-2009, 09:52 PM

Ok.. here are a couple of other suggestions for you.. I used to work at an "Ask a Nurse" line and we had a book of local support groups and assistance services.. if there's something similar there, call and ask them. Check with United Way.. sometimes they can help maybe with phone bill if nothing else. contact the "Pink Ladies" at the hospital.. they may be able to help.. ours have special projects all the time.. and maybe some of those lovely ladies and gentlemen can drop in and visit when you can't be there. Also if you have local Eastern Star Chapter, contact them.. they do all sorts of good works, especially with childrens causes.