Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Teachers - a question about presents >

Teachers - a question about presents

Teachers - a question about presents

Old 12-02-2011, 05:34 AM

I taught for many years, and treasured any gift given to me by a student or parent. Agreed, the child giving the gift is very proud! I also made sure to send a thank you note to the child at home over the Christmas break, to make them feelspecial, and to model for them the importance of sending thank you notes. Any time a student expressed unhappiness that he/she didn't have a gift, I whispered that my favorite student gifts are pictures made by the student. Would you like to make a picture for me? Again, the pride shown when I was given pictures were the real gifts. And of course, those students got personal thank you notes too. Such wonderful memories you brought up!
Old 12-02-2011, 05:59 AM

After teaching for many years, I can tell you what not to give: anything with apples on it!!!! I had mugs, tree ornaments, etc. that had apples everywhere! (Maybe it's just me...as a breast cancer survivor I hate all the pink ribbon stuff. Do I really need a daily reminder when I eat soup or use an ice cream scoop????) What I did appreciate the most were school supplies (need not be expensive: stickers for kids' papers, kleenex, a red pen, post-it notes, large paper clips, etc.). My two favorite gifts: tickets to the local movie theater and a gift card to a book store. My most unusual gift: a lovely silky peignoir that a 2nd grade boy picked out by himself!!!!! I still have it to this day!
Old 12-02-2011, 06:53 AM

I remember making orange spiced tea (instant) for mine. I think it's called "Russian tea" and it's made with Tang.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:31 AM

Best thing is having each room make a wish list. I was a clerk for many years, and some teachers had to ask relatives
to buy needed items for their rooms. With the economy as it is lets do what we can. The list however should be
mentioned, to the classes, not mandatory.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:02 AM

As a retired teacher, I can appreciate your wanting to give/make something the teacher will use & like. Ask around, either other teachers or parents, & find out if the teacher is a tea or coffee drinker. Rather than give another mug, how about a mug rug, cup snug(keeps hands from heat) and a selection or assortment of teas or coffee? I saw that you said there isn't a coffee place in your town, so having teas or coffee available would give her some choices to suit her mood. I saw a pattern for a cup snug that was on the All People Quilt site & it would use up scraps & snips of fabric. Add in your delicious homemade baked good & she'll be a happy teacher!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue View Post
Well, I'm not going for "practical" so much as "appreciated", but I'm also going for "cheap" since there's a VERY big expense coming up in the near future for us, so I don't think I'll buy classroom supplies. I'm handmaking/baking EVERYONE'S presents this year, outside of my kids.
I have been a teacher for 27 years, getting ready to retire. I still have the ornaments that students gave me since my first year of teaching! Such wonderful memories as I decorate the tree and remember all my former students!!! Be sure to put your child's name and year on the ornament. Some of mine do not have that and after all these years, I can't remember who some of them came from. Baked goods were always appreciated also as well as supplies for the classroom. It doesn't have to be a big gift, just something from the heart is always appreciated. Re: the comment about teachers throwing away gifts - I have never seen or heard of such a thing! How sad for that school!
Good luck to you and your daughter as you make cookies for her teacher together - your daughter will be so proud to be able to say "I helped make them!"
Linda
Old 12-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

I am still schocked by the comment about teachers throwing gifts in the trash. I know a lot of teachers and every one of them proudly display, and appreciate gifts received from the kids. I think it says more about the school and the teachers than the gifts.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:01 AM

My 9 year old grandson just made a Mug Rug for his teacher in his school colors. He is so proud. He is going to buy a mug to put in it and some coffee. This board has several cute poems to attatch so the teacher will know what it is.
He thinks she will put it on her desk to set her water bottle on. Good Luck.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by EmbQuilt View Post
I am a bit shell shocked by some of the answers. As a former teacher, I can say that the gifts I received from my students touched me to no end. Maybe because I taught in an extremely poor area and realized how important they felt after giving me something.

One of my most fondest gifts was a baby shower present I received. It was an obviously well used winter baby coat. After checking with the parent that I was supposed to receive this present, I gladly used it with my child. BTW, lol the parent had no clue that the gift

was given. I gave suggestions based on my experience as a parent not as a teacher.
This was a precious gift. Your post brought a tear to my eye. Truly the spirit of Christmas. Thanks for sharing this.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:04 PM

I loved the gifts my students gave me and still have them ... mugs included. It's the thought that counts. My first students are probably in their forties now and still have some of their gifts. I would never think of throwing them in the trash. What ever they can afford, I appreciate. Growing up we never received gifts at Christmas but we had a GREAT time celebrating and enjoying Christmas.