Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors >

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Old 10-26-2011, 09:57 PM

13th generation in America on dad's side, close to that on my mom's side. Both sides some how migrated to Janesville Wisconsin, dad's side ended up out west via Oklahoma and Roswell, NM (where I understand the family still owns some "oil" property), Mom's side did the Oregon Trail route, little town of Chesire Oregon is named for my family. Am a multi-g niece to Grover Cleveland. One of my ancestors was the judge deciding on the fate of Mary Queen of Scots life in exile. My son's g-grandmother was a picture bride from Okinawa and his dad was born in relocation camp during WWII.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:18 PM

This is a wonderful thread!

I am most fortunate that my maternal Grandfather was a historical writer and documented our family history back to the arrival in the New World on the Bono Novo in 1620 from England. On board that sailing vessel was William Hampton, who with his wife, settled in Virginia and in 1623 their son Thomas was born who was to become the first American born minister of the Church of England. These were the first of my ancestors to arrive here.

Another branch of the family arrived in the mid 1700's by way of three Hudson brothers from Wales. They were to be the first in a tradition of 3 brothers going to war together... they fought under George Washington in the Continental Army. Later, their decendants, 3 brothers, fought in the Civil War. My grandfather's book recounts a story told to him by his grandmother of the day the Union Soldiers came to the home and ransacked everything. She watched hiden up a nearby tree. My grandfather was born in 1900 and served in WWI with his two brothers, carrying on the family tradition.

After the end of that war, they moved further out West from Texas and he recalls trying to get over the last mountain range to California... The old car couldn't handle it but reverse was apparently more powerful so they crossed the full span of the Sierra Nevadas driving backwards in reverse in their old car circa 1920! (This backwards thing explains a lot...)

Writers ran in the family and he started newpapers everwhere they lived, from Irving, Tx to Elsinore, Ca. We still have newspapers over 100 years old from Irving, Tx. Unfortunately, they were not properly preserved so many have disintegrated. I did find one newpaper that thankfully has been preserved behind glass recently - it has George Washington's obituary.

More recently, if you call the 1950's recent, my mother went out on a date with Elvis Pressley! She was 16 and had won a padgent of some sort. She was staying in a luxury hotel in Los Angeles and was 'fixed up' with Elvis by the concierge (or doorman, I forget). Elvis was staying at the same hotel while filming Love Me Tender - he was not a big star yet. They went out to dinner, chaparoned by my grandmother, of course, and then came back to the hotel sitting lounge where my mom played the piano and he sang. Elvis wrote his phone number on the movie set, the secret name she was to ask for him by and signed the note. She never had the nerve to call him and never saw him again - heck, she was 16! She did carry the note in her wallet for many years until her purse was stolen in a movie theater in Honolulu in the 1980's. Whomever took it I'm sure never knew what they had & it was certainly thrown away after they took her cash!

Sorry to be long winded, but I had the pleasure of knowing all 8 of my grandparents and learned so much. I'll be briefer on dad's side...

My father's side of the family is LDS and came to the Colonies in 1773. There is much well research history on this side too. They made the jouney West from Ohio & Missouri as many did along the Oregon Trail, settling in Idaho & Utah. My paternal Grandfather, also born in 1900, was a doctor who worked in the mines in Idaho and later became the town doctor in Pleasant Grove, Utah.
It was my paternal Grandmother that started my love of crafting of all kinds (mom had started me sewing at 5). I would come over from Hawaii every summer and spend a month with all of my cousins while she instructed us on making mason jar lid pincusions and styrofoam egg carton roses, etc.

Random fun fact... my DH and I have concluded that about 150 years ago, our ancestors probably lived within 10 miles of each other in Tennessee!
Old 10-27-2011, 12:19 AM

My mothers ancestors (1780-1800 era) are buried at Cades Cove in The Smokey Mountain National Park
Old 10-27-2011, 01:57 AM

Ditto for DH. His Great Grfather was one of the last...maybe the last,Civil War vets in W Va.DH remembered a Gr Grandmother who smoked a corncob pipe. LOL

Originally Posted by cyd
Golly, I am overwhelmed by all the famous ancestors. I have no one like that, but a great grandfather was one of the last living Civil War veterans. Does that count?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:00 AM

My great, great grandmother and FDR's mother were sisters.
My dad was in the Normandy Invasion.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:08 AM

good grief my family is boring! And I thought we were out there on the edge because my Uncle was poisoned by one of his lovers...women fainting everywhere in my grandmother's parlor during the wake.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by sandilee
My mothers ancestors (1780-1800 era) are buried at Cades Cove in The Smokey Mountain National Park
Beautiful spot!
Old 10-27-2011, 03:17 AM

I have a mystery to put out there....in a town about 40 miles from where I live,lives a woman whom I have never met but for years people have told me about her. Apparently we look identical. A few years back I had a bi-lateral masectomy. Before I left the hospital the attending nurse commented on my twin sister who was on her floor 2 weeks ago, who also had a bi-lateral masectomy. I don't have ANY sisters! I wish I could find her.....sigh.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:35 AM

My grandpa was a moonshiner. His brother was a counterfiter and spent time in prison.Another uncle was a murderer. And they wonder why I don't use my real name. heheheh
Old 10-27-2011, 03:44 AM

this has been great reading Thanks for asking the question

My Grt,grt grandfather Alfred Benjamine Whitaker, was married to Eliza(in England) and had 12 children ,then left his wife for a younger woman Rebecca Louise and had another 7 children, My grand father was the 2nd youngest of Eliza .When he married my grand mother Elsie Richards , he changed his surname to Frederick John Hart.
Alfred was to be knighted but died before the ceromony took place.