Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors >

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Old 10-27-2011, 10:32 AM

Just found out that in 1762 my gr gr gr---gandfather came to Vermont throught Canada was given 700 acres of land on the side of a mountain. He was a free black man not ever a slave. His son established a saw mill in the early 1800's and built a house on the hill (my grand parents live there until gramps died in 1968). The name of the road was N----- Hill Rd until the 70's then changed to Lincoln Hill Rd. This was all kept hush hush until this year. What ashame all my ancesters are well educated and well respected. I would like to know more about this man.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:44 AM

My Uncle was Harold Stassen, 3 time Governor of Minnesota and ran for President several times.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:52 AM

My Grandfathers' brother ( Jimmy Tamer) is listed in the Nevada 'Black Book'. he was involved in money laundering for the Mob back when the Aladdin Hotel was first built.
We're also related to /Danny Thomas.. :):)
Old 10-27-2011, 10:53 AM

This tidbit doesn't go as far back into history as many of your stories. In the early 1800's my gr gr grandmother was a new bride living in a small cabin high in the Green Mountains of Vermont and missing her friends and family She sent squares of fabrics back to them for them to all sign and return to her She had numbered each square so when they were returned she would have a inventory. With these signed squares the pieced an Album Patch Quilt which is featured in a the book "To Love & To Cherish----Brides Remembered" By Linda Otto Lipsett copyrighted 1997 & 1989. Even though the book is now out of print I was able to locate copies for both my Mother and I last year after I learned of it's existence.

My great grandfather left Vermont in the 1880's and headed west to Denver with his wife and 2 kids. There he and his wife divorced. He then married my great grandmother who was only 15 at the time and he was 39. The later moved to Boise, Idaho and had 12 children. He was a skilled carpenter and worked on one of the wings of the Idaho State Capital Building.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:00 AM

I am a very distant cousin of Alfafa
in the Our Gang/Little Rascal movies.

J J
Old 10-27-2011, 11:01 AM

neokle
Old 10-27-2011, 11:08 AM

My maternal grandmother said she was a descendant of Florence Nightengale. She worked on a family tree for years before she died. I don't know who got that.

I loved to hear her tell about growing up in a large family in central Illinois. Her brother said if she would play some songs on the piano for him, he would take her for a ride in his car (one of the first in that town). She got in the car and it started to go backwards. He swore there was something wrong with it and they speeded thru the dirt roads of town at a whopping 20 miles an hour. She was terrified!
Old 10-27-2011, 11:08 AM

My maternal grandmother said she was a descendant of Florence Nightengale. She worked on a family tree for years before she died. I don't know who got that.

I loved to hear her tell about growing up in a large family in central Illinois. Her brother said if she would play some songs on the piano for him, he would take her for a ride in his car (one of the first in that town). She got in the car and it started to go backwards. He swore there was something wrong with it and they speeded thru the dirt roads of town at a whopping 20 miles an hour. She was terrified!
Old 10-27-2011, 11:14 AM

My grand mother was a Disney/Ealey,related to Walt Disney,way back the family had a falling out and the family split up.No one knows why or where.The Ealey and Disney family's live close by in Taylorville Ill.I heard my Uncle Bill Ealey haunts the basement,he just died 2 years next January.
DH's side,Mother,side they started the Kansas City Star.The Chamberlain family have a homestead in South Dakota around Rapid City.Connie in CO
Old 10-27-2011, 11:23 AM

my dad was born on the indian reservation in ponca city okla. last name baker. BUT THEY SAY HE IS NOT AN INDIAN. everyone on that side of the family has the blackest eyes and hair you ever say. both the parents list 'cauc' as their race, and my dad's race was listed as 'cauc'. but they are not registed with the tribe. LOTS of other Bakers, but not my dad, or grandparents. DNA test possible?
i am related to robert e. lee. i am a descedant from 'the immigrent lee' who had two sons. we are from the side that did not have robert e. lee. but my ggma was a Lee.
soooo robert e. lee was a distant uncle.