Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors >

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Old 10-26-2011, 05:13 PM
dd

29 kids and they didn't get a TV show.lol Now that would have been a show. Persia used to be Iran, sorry.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Banned

my Oma, which is my mom's mom...was a German blue blood who married a commoner! My Oma was given the MOTHERS CROSS from Hitler for being a GOOD German mother who had 10 children(14 but only 10 lived past a year)! She was also a WET nurse to many kids during the war years.
Of course 1 of those children along with a nephew were taken from her and sent on the Orphan train to Poland to live in Foster care. My mom has horror stories of that 2 years of her life. My Oma also had 2 more children that were in their teens sent away on trains to Poland. THe last known whereabouts for one of them was Dachau concentration camp!The other one died in Poland.

My Great grandmother on my dad's side was American Indian from a tribe here in OK. She went blind as a teen and was sent off to school. Where she met my Great grand dad and when they married she was not allowed to move back to the reservation because she married a white man!
Old 10-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barb44

My mother grew up in a house that was haunted. My grandmother had a sister who died in the house at the age of 12. They would hear her singing upstairs in German. I got a chance to visit that house in May. It has since been torn down. Wonder what happened to the ghosts?
I grew up in a haunted house! It was built in the late 1800's. During the night, we could here comings and goings and carrying ons of societal party's. If you entered the large formal living area, you could still here faint sounds...no one would be there. I absolutely loved it!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 05:47 PM

My grandfather is originally from China. He came to the US to work and settled in Southern California, where he took a liking to avocados. He later returned to China and brought with him several avocado plants which he planted on his parents' property. At that time no one in China ever heard of avocados and there were certainly no avocado trees to be found. The trees took a long time to grow, and my grandfather moved back to the states. After his parents passed away, relatives lived in the house. They had heard stories about the mysterious avocados my grandfather planted, but since it's not a fruit grown in China, they did not know when the avocados would ripen.

The first few times they plucked the avocados from the tree, they were not yet ripe and the relatives thought "Pitooey...these are hard and bitter." They let the avocados stay on the tree until they ripened and fell to the ground. Unfortunately, by the time the avocados fell to the ground, they were over-ripe. The relatives thought "These are black and mushy." For the life of them, they could not figure out why my grandfather was so enamored with avocados.

A few years ago, several of my cousins went to China to visit the village where my grandfather grew up. They said the ancestral house is still on the property, but the avocado trees had been removed. I guess my Chinese relatives never heard of salsa!
Old 10-26-2011, 05:49 PM

My ancestors on my Dad's side were kicked out of Russia..leave it to my family to piss someone off! :lol:
Old 10-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
On my mother's side, there were Hungrian gypsies! I wanted to find out MORE about them, but she was so ashamed and wouldn't talk about them --- and they were GENERATIONS before her.. I think it sounds intriguing....maybe explaines something about my needing to "explore"
that is like my Grandmother..she never would talk about my Great grandmother being Native Indian because they tried to hide that fact.
Now they are all dead and NOBODY knows who/what/where etc about our native roots.
THe last thing we do know is that in the 90's..like maybe 97'..my grandmother SOLD the last of my great grandmothers land back to the tribe in OK. But we don't know what tribe or where the land was. I wish I knew who my relatives where here in OK!
Old 10-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

A distant uncle founded Colterville, Il. A Great Great Grandfather was in the Civil War. Oldest Daughter Found a bunch of stuff, I can't remember it all.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
Both my grandmother and my husband's grandfather died in the great influenza epidemic of 1918, each leaving 3 little daughters, just about the same ages. My mom was the youngest of her sisters, and DH's mom was the oldest of her sisters. The families lived 500 miles from each other.
My grandpa survived that epidemis of influenza- walked to the hospital, stayed there for a few days. Everyone around him was dying, so he left.

My great- great- great grandma on the other side of the family was a Pueblo. DM said she saw a picture of her once, but does not know where the pic. went, or who had it.

Fun thread- great stories!
Old 10-26-2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by tuesy
My ancestors on my Dad's side were kicked out of Russia..leave it to my family to piss someone off! :lol:
Too funny!
Old 10-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tuesy
LOL!!