Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us what you're reading...

Love to read and LOVE Jamie and Claire! I just finished Dear American Airlines, which is (to way oversimplify) about a grouchy guy stuck in Chicago airport. It was really good. And I usually have an audiobook loaded on my phone and recently got hooked on the Spenser For Hire books. They're from the 70s and they're such a hoot! It's funny to hear him describe what he's wearing - gold and red paisley shirt, red suit jacket, etc. my friend just recommended a scifi that I'm diving into, but it's 3000 pages!!! Eek!

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    I just finished " The Last Runaway" by Tracy Chevalier. Highly recommended book for quilters!

The story deals with a young Quaker woman who emigrates from England to Ohio in the mid 1800s and gets involved in the Underground Railroad. She talks a great deal about quilting and comparing the processes and the styles of English quilting and American quilting of the time. Very interesting! She also compares the animals, flowers, trees, vegetables, etc. of the two countries. The author must have done a great deal of research before writing.

So many wonderful recommendations! Thank you everyone for your input. Loved Devil in the White City. Made me very interested in that worlds fair and what happened to all those beautiful buildings. I also love the free ebooks you can find online. So many great classics out there to enjoy. Keep them coming - I'm making a list to share with my sisters lol.
    Like the moon, and the stars, and the sun - yeah we all shine on.

David Baldacci is one of my favorite authors; another is Dan Brown, another favorite is Tim LaHaye, who wrote the Left Behind series and also a newer series about Revelations....scary! Based on the Bible, so I really wanted to read the series and see what they had to say about everything going on now and how they feel it all ties together...and I haven't been disappointed. And of course, I read the Bible....and the more I read, the more amazed I am. The Bible is my top choice for reading...and I try to read some of it daily. As a Christian, I feel that it is more than just a guide, but rather my life and my lifeline as well.
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Quote Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
    I'm reading the General Chit-Chat forum on the Quilting Board (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)
    Love this. Still smiling.
    What I make with my hands, I give with my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
    I'm reading the General Chit-Chat forum on the Quilting Board (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)
    So funny! Got a good chuckle out of this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
    David Baldacci is one of my favorite authors; another is Dan Brown, another favorite is Tim LaHaye, who wrote the Left Behind series and also a newer series about Revelations....scary! Based on the Bible, so I really wanted to read the series and see what they had to say about everything going on now and how they feel it all ties together...and I haven't been disappointed. And of course, I read the Bible....and the more I read, the more amazed I am. The Bible is my top choice for reading...and I try to read some of it daily. As a Christian, I feel that it is more than just a guide, but rather my life and my lifeline as well.
    You are so right about the bible I read it everyday right now I am reading a bible based book that explains the bible in an easy way to understand then I read the same chapters in the niv bible has helped me to understand the bible better especially Revulations. I read a lot of fiction and non fiction as well. Alsoread this board everyday

Blog Entries
    I read the first book in the Outlander series and really enjoyed it. I picked up the second on several times, but could not connect with it. The funny things is, my dh and ds are both the spitting image of Jamie. Tall men with curly red hair and brilliant blue eyes. In the summer I tend to read romance novels. I buy them for 25 cents each at the Lions Thrift Shop and donate them back when I am done. Sorry my enter key is not working on this website anymore. I generally read murder mysteries Elizabeth George, Anne Perry, Greg Isle, Ken Follet, and many more. I also read historical fiction. I am not sure which category Mary Renault's books fall under, but I have enjoyed the ones I have read.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Just finished Calico Joe. I enjooyed it. Am now reading The House on Olive Street by Robyn Carr. It is a story for women. Really getting to know the characters and the stories they have to tell.

I read a lot...on and off. I am currently reading a series by Kathleen Fuller. I recently read The Joy Luck Club and The Book of Night Women. goodreads.com is a good way to see what others read and what they think of it. My taste in books varies but excludes the trashy romance novels.

I have discovered a Norwegian author of mysteries that have been translated into English. His name is Jo Nesbo and he weaves a good tale. Also love to read Grisham and Baldacci. So many books, so little time and I love ebooks.

Have just finished Michael Crawfords (Phantom of the opera) biography and loved it. Now back to reading Echoes by Maeve Binchy, have most of her novels, she portrays people in such a way one can really relate to. Sadly she passed away in 2012. Darlene

Blog Entries
    I'm reading the fifth book in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. I found the first one while browsing the sale books at the library and picked it up on a whim. Now I'm hooked!
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

I just finished a book named "Elvis has not left the building". Interesting concept on theory Elvis is alive, faked his death to get away from all the fame, had plastic surgery and became a private detective and this is about one of his cases. It was a good read, light hearted. I got it free for my Kindle.

My son got me started with books on tape giving me "To Kill a Mockingbird" at the time I was working as a courier and on the road 4-6 hours a day . I now get book on tape at the local library. I no longer work so listen to books much of the time when quilting as not much on TV. I 'listened to' Saturday Night Widows' - was not finished with it but sat down to watch the "Katie" tv show and her guests that day were the 6 women from the book. What a coincidence!
    Have read Jennifer Chevalier series and loved them. Now reading the 'Cape Light" series by Thomas KinKade. So sad - he has passed away. I love his paintings also.

I love the Outlander series! I've read them and, more recently, listened to most of them on audio recordings. Wonderful audios. I didn't know there was a new book coming out but am glad to hear it. I used to read all the time commuting back and forth to work (riding in a van pool) and at lunch time at my desk. Now I work from home and don't do that but have gotten hooked on audio books. I keep one in the car and another by my sewing machine. I like a lot of different authors. Currently am listening to "The Gift" by Richard Paul Evans while sewing. In my car, I have an audio "Summerland" by Elin Hillderbrand. I was happy to find it on the library shelves as I had listened to her "Silver Girl" last year and loved it.
    Another audio series that I really like are the Earth Children series by Jean Auel - beginning with "Clan of the Cave Bear".
    Anything by Edward Rutherfurd is good whether reading or listening.
    Philippa Gregory writes very interesting books about English royalty.
    John Connelly for good detective/murder mysteries.
    If you like a little SyFy mixed with dragons, Anne McCaffrey is wonderful reading, especially her first books.
    I just finished reading (really reading) The Hunger Games and the sequel. I'm on the third of the series but, because I'm actually reading not listening, it is taking some time for me to finish it.
    Pat

Someone mentioned Maeve Binchley. I don't really care much for her but I love, love, love Rosamund Pilcher. The first thing I ever read by her was The Shell Seekers. Binchley and Pilcher are similar authors but I just love Pilcher's characters and have never really related to Binchley's.
    I saw a lot of others mentioned that I really enjoy and some new ones to me so will have fun with some new authors. I always hate it when I've run through all books by an author I love.
    Pat

Just finished "Girl Gone" and I started "Blood Gospel" by Rollings. Listening to "Death March" by Lincoln Child and I have books 4 and 5 "Silenced" and "Stalked" of the Lucy Kincaid series by Allison Brennan ready to listen on my MP3.

I have recently finished reading the Sasha McCandless series written by Melissa F Miller. Really enjoyed the books. They are fiction but the great thing is they are murder mystery suspense type books and No Foul Language! I enjoy murder mystery but so many authors think adding foul language somehow is required and I really do not like it but this author does a great job without including that.

Thanks for all the ideas of books, I love mysteries..my favorite author is John Grisham..need to read Calico Joe...I have started to read Sandra Brown's books, last one I finished was Play Dirty. I also love to listen to audio booksf while in my sewing room...what a treat to hide in there and sew and listen to a good book!

Blog Entries
    Since just having reconstructive surgery on my right hand and wrist, April 4th, and being right-handed, I cannot quilt so have turned to my second love of reading. In rapid succession I have read: The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club, by Wanda Brunstetter (Currently being performed as a musical at the Blue Gate Theater, Shipshewana, Indiana where I hope to see it this summer.) The Shack, by William Paul Young; Where is God When It Hurts, by Philip Yancey; Midwives, by Chris Bohjalian; and am currently enjoying a light read, The Wedding Quilt, by Jennifer Chiaverinni of the Elm Creek Series. All of these books were given to me as 'get-well gifts' to read while recovering.

You can choose to live your live as though nothing is a miracle; or as though everything is a miracle!

If you want a thriller you can't put down, try Dean Koontz. Lee Child with Jack Reacher is a good action series. Suspense all the way. Romance: Kathleen Woodiwiss: The Wolf and The Dove, The Flame and the Flower, wrote 8 books and I liked all of them. I read "The Clan of the Cave Bear" series and loved those. I like lots of different type books except the ones with dirty language. Just can't take that--GIGO, ya know. Any Mary Higgins Clark is a good read. Janette Oke's "Love Comes Softly" series. Jennifer Chivarini (sp?) quilting fiction are fun.

I have been reading Emilie Richards book series Shenandoah Album. I have three of the five books in this series.
    1. Wedding Ring
    2. Endless Chain
    3. Lovers Knot
    4. Touching Stars
    5. Sister's Choice
    The theme of this series is life in the Shenandoah Valley area of Virginia. Great story line and lots of quilting references as well! She also has books with the quilt patterns mentioned in her books!
    Emilie Richards is an awesome writer and I look forward to reading more of her material.

Blog Entries
    Forgot to mention qn other two books I recently read. "The Call" by Yannick Murphy is a very interestingly written book about a large animal vet. The way it is written is different but I loved it. Each entry starts out with: The call and then continues with what he did and what he thought about or what the wife cooked, etc and as the book goes on more and more details. There is a UFO sighting and his son gets shot while out hunting which makes him look for the shooter.

Also as far as non-fiction goes: "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" is the best!
    Mary
    Mary
    Quilts cover us with warmth and love!
    Make quilts not war

Wow, more people who read. Yippee!
    At this time, my quilt room is not available to me and my sewing stuff is put up. If I can't sew, I might as well read and I am a voracious reader.
    I have read the Outlander series, love Jamie and Claire and am waiting for the next book. I read JA Micheners Hawaii several times and have the movie on VCR. Read all the number 1 detective agency stories and all the Rosamond Pilcher books too. Can't get into Jodi Picoult. Loved all the Chris "Midwives" Bojannon (?sp) books. They are food for thought while still a good read.
    Right now I am reading Jo Nesbo's Nemesis. I have read these books out of sequence but they are still good. Love that Harry Hole. Good read, sometimes graphic.
    I also read the Lee Child series on Jack Reacher. Now why they cast Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher, I will never understand. Gotta love Hollywood. In the books, you gotta love this improbable hero but he's 6'4 and 160 - 180 lbs". Good read.
    As soon as I am done with Nemesis, I will be starting "The Twelve" which is the second in the "Passage" trilogy by Justin Cronin.
    I sure hope my quilting room gets put together soon or I hope quilting is like riding a bicycle! LOL

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast