Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Thank you to anyone who makes things for preemies-my new grandson benefited! >

Thank you to anyone who makes things for preemies-my new grandson benefited!

Thank you to anyone who makes things for preemies-my new grandson benefited!

Old 09-03-2012, 09:22 AM

Our group of sewing-knitting-crocheting ladies has also been sewing "small" for many years... thanks for letting those like us know we are appreciated and that there are hopeful stories coming out of the NICU's all over the country!

Continued prayers for your GS and the family. How blessed!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:53 AM

I want to thank everyone who responded to my post. My 1st Grandson, who is my youngest child's first- is continuing to do great. Our daughter is showing real improvement also. Unfortunately they were moving the day after the baby was born, they had to be out of their apartment as someone was moving in. It made it a rough couple of days. My son-in-law barely saw his son until Saturday evening. We decided to return home so the three of them could "bond" once the baby was released from NICU. The hosptial has great rooms with comfortable pull out beds for daddy to stay right with mommy. Now Max is rooming with his parents-so things are great. Again thank you to anyone who makes items for preemies and newborns.
Kat
Old 09-03-2012, 12:10 PM

Wow, talk about stress! Glad they are all moved and are settling as a family.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

I'm glad your Grandson is doing so well. My step dtr makes hats for Premies. she's a nurse mid-wife in Utah. I just found out she has been battling breast cancer, so the fight is on for her. ((()))
Old 09-03-2012, 06:54 PM

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have knit preemie hats in the past and have dropped them off at a local hospital. A co-worker mentioned that the hospital needed and appreciated hats for preemies. It has been a while since I have made some, but this summer I was thinking I should get my needles out again and work on them. I had always expected they were appreciated. It was so nice to see your message, and hear from someone who had some experience connected to it.
And am so glad to hear that your grandson, daughter and son-in-law are doing well.
What's your favorite color? Next time I pick up yarn to knit some I'll look for it.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:04 AM

Our now 1 year old grandson Rainn was a micropreemie - born at 20 ounces. He has quite a collection of wonderfully knitted and crocheted hats from the smallest to newborn sized - it is amazing to look at them now and realized just how tiny he was. I am adding my thanks to all who make these hats to keep the tiny babies warm!

I made a few sewn ones out of Vikings fleece last fall while he was in the NICU and donated them. I had to make up a pattern because nothing was that small. My model - a baseball, then a softball.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:15 PM

Again thank you to all who make things for preemies and newborns. Starshine, you asked about my favorite color, I think for baby boys primary colors-red, dark blue, orange, etc would be great. All the other hats I saw, even on boys were pastel colors. I suspect the parents of boys might like the stronger colors. So others would realize the tiny babies are boys. For others who have special tiny babies in their lives I am glad to hear they are improving. I pray they all will improve and do well in the future. Hugs, Kat
Old 09-05-2012, 04:57 AM

So glad to hear that your GS is alright. Congratulations on your first Grandchild, wonderful feeling isn't it?
I knit hats & booties for premmies but always include some usual size ones as well. The first time I rang the hospital they said they need those as well. I love to make these but don't get to do as many since I started quilting. I do make quilts for abused/neglected kids though. I'm actually knitting a little hat at the moment. Thank you for your post and we would love to see a pic of your Grandson in his red hat.