Thank yous

Old 09-13-2011, 09:49 AM

A gift given, expecting anything in return, is no longer a gift.
Thank you's though, should be sent.
As for expecting someone to send back a picture ...sorry NO. If you are there when they open your gift to them by all means ask to take the picture of them with your quilt otherwise let it go. Take a picture of your gift before you send it.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Banned

sad that everyone thinks YOu should get over it..why...since when did we have to be expected to give something and not even receive a respectful Thanks to acknowledge the gift?
why should the giver be respectful and have manners if the receiver does not have to do the same?

I say quit giving. If they can not say Thank you and send the pix, then they get nothing!

I am tired of giving and never getting. A simple thank you is not asking for visitation rights!
Old 09-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Not saying "Thank you" is a lack of respect for your thoughtfulness, your kindness and your effort!

I'm with Murphy and Caroline.

To rant: I'm so tired of people excusing things like this by saying its just a sign of the times!

Sorry, sore subject!
I am with you...if our society is going to pitch manners, respectfulness and consequences for the lack of those things, then well, you can see where this country is headed and has been for the last 20 years!
Old 09-13-2011, 10:39 AM

I was at the same school for over 22 years in Texas, made baby quilts for the first child of faculty members, all I ask was for a picture of the baby on the quilt. Out of the twenty-something quilts I made...zero pictures back.

Before that, in Illinois for five years, made three baby quilts, and got a picture back!!

So only one picture back, from someone who listened to my request. That is life, I guess, we can give, but not control anything that is not in our hands or our home. Sometimes not even then. Just hope the work we do is appreciated and cared for by the person who received the quilt.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:55 PM

I don't think people are insinuating that she should get over it in the respect to accepting that it's "the way things are" per sey, but more along the lines of you cant squeeze blood out of a turnip. You can choose to give something, and the receive can choose not to say thank you. Short of forcing them, there is nothing you can do for the most part.
At that point, you can choose to not give to them again but odds are, they won't have any clue why.

Im not saying it's right, but I also think that once we give a gift, it's out of our hands. What I've done on occasion, is to call and say "did you get..." and hopefully they express appreciation.

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
sad that everyone thinks YOu should get over it..why...since when did we have to be expected to give something and not even receive a respectful Thanks to acknowledge the gift?
why should the giver be respectful and have manners if the receiver does not have to do the same?

I say quit giving. If they can not say Thank you and send the pix, then they get nothing!

I am tired of giving and never getting. A simple thank you is not asking for visitation rights!
Old 09-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

I have been struggling with this notion of "thank-you" for a while - not only for quilts. I haven't received thank-you's for several things, one being an out of town wedding with a nice gift included. The mother of the bride is distressed too, and says her daughter says "we're too busy". Well, they weren't too busy to plan a wedding, invite people and use the gifts. And I wasn't "too busy" to make arrangements to attend and to provide a nice gift. But I am going to be "too busy" when I get a birth announcement. I'm not asking for much, maybe an email, postcard, etc. This wedding was over a year ago. Anyway, thanks for the vent. I did make a quilt for my friend a few years back and she was very appreciative, note sent, and whenever we talk she tells me again how much she enjoys it. Didn't rub off on daughter!
Old 09-13-2011, 01:04 PM

I have a very simple rule and stick to it 100%. I give a gift and they either say thank you or say nothing ... from that day onward, the ones who say nothing never again receive anything from me while those who have manners and say thank you continue to receive. Hard-hearted? Possibly. But, I'm quite satisfied with my way of doing it and will continue to be so. My family knows my thoughts and feelings but get upset when the "thank you" folks receive gifts and the ones who just can't seem to get the idea, don't. Tough!
Old 09-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

right on target. :thumbup:
Old 09-13-2011, 01:20 PM

I don't think asking for someone to take a photo with something that you spent hours and hours on is too much. I'm with a lot of the others our society is slowly becoming a manner less society. Whenever anyone sends me a gift I always take time to send them a thank you card, its the way I was raised. If it's something I know is home made no matter how simple it is I take a picture of it in my house and send it with a note.

But sometimes we just need to take a deep breathe and vent in frustration and let it go.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:56 PM

I'll also add, that being a giver has made ME more aware of being a thanker. And my children will also be thankers. It is rude and horrible manners to not thank someone.