Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Thanksgiving - we miss you, please come back! >

Thanksgiving - we miss you, please come back!

Thanksgiving - we miss you, please come back!

Old 11-07-2010, 04:42 AM

I love Thanksgiving. We can't travel very well, so if the kids come in, great, if not, I'll still buy a turkey and all the trimmings, bake two pies. make hors d'ouerves even if it is just for the two of us! I love the leftovers. And, I am so thankful for everything - I have a 94 year old mother, who is as sharp as a tack and still drives. I have two sisters and their families, we have friends who are there to help us if we need help and vice-versa, my husband survived both Hairy Cell Leukemia and Non-Hodgkins LYmphoma, Hepatitis, and various other things that I couldn't wish on my worst enemy. We thank God for all his Blessings, each day we have with each other, which peaked at 50 years of marriage this past June. We renewed our wedding vows and exchanged rings (so now we each have two wedding bands on, one for 1960 and one for 2010); yes, a lot to be thankful for. And if we are with a crowd of people or just us two, it still is a grand day. I am thankful that we live right here in the United States of America. And I am thankful for the Pilgrims who discovered PUmpkin Pie and Redi-Whip!!!!! Have a grand Thanksgiving, a good Macy's Day Parade and good football!!! Edie
Old 11-07-2010, 04:44 AM

The MEMORY of Thanksgiving is bittersweet. Unfortunately, we really don't celebrate it anymore. Family and friends have either passed, or gone off in another direction, so it is just the 2 of us. Ahhhhhhh years ago, it was a friend filled house with the employees I worked with who didn't have any special plans - coming over and we would have the house bulging with eating, and games, laughter and sharing. I really miss that. And I miss CHRISTMAS - NOT "winter festival" time and HALLOWEEN - NOT "fall celebration" - just MAYBE everything will come back - ya think?
Old 11-07-2010, 04:52 AM

ladies, you have all made my day to know that thanksgiving is alive and well in you hearts and in your homes! wish you all the happiest of days!
Old 11-07-2010, 04:57 AM

Well, let it come back with us. Perhaps we could start our own little holiday revolution. If we decide to celebrate the holidays our way, perhaps we can start some change. For myself I will put the thankful back in Thanksgiving. Even if we don't have a huge family get together, the three of us (hubby, me and DS) will have a wonderful day of food and thanks.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:13 AM

If the weather cooperates we will go to the Macy's Parade. It is truly special. Look for me in the crowds. Maybe I'll be wrapped in a quilt!
Old 11-07-2010, 06:17 AM

I will be watching for you, we always watch the parade on TV while eating a big breakfast. We don't eat our dinner until 5 or 6, so I do a big brunch instead of breakfast and lunch.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:32 AM
Administrator

"they" can't change, wreck, or take away Thanksgiving unless we let them. ;-)

all we have to do is make the individual decision to ignore the commercial hype and keep our personal focus on the holiday itself and on its meaning to us.

just stick to your traditions and it'll be as joyous and fulfilling as you want it to be. :thumbup:
Old 11-07-2010, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ

all we have to do is make the individual decision to ignore the commercial hype and keep our personal focus on the holiday itself and on its meaning to us.

just stick to your traditions and it'll be as joyous and fulfilling as you want it to be. :thumbup:
Well said Patrice!
Old 11-07-2010, 08:13 AM

I love Thanksgiving, too, but we have no family here and our son lives in Indiana, but comes down for Christmas. My husband's family never celebrated much of anything, whereby my family celebrated all of them and Thanksgiving was a huge family get together.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ

Absolutely! :thumbup: