Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Thanksgiving - we miss you, please come back! >

Thanksgiving - we miss you, please come back!

Thanksgiving - we miss you, please come back!

Old 11-07-2010, 08:27 AM

The whole problem about any Holiday now is people don't think about the meaning of the Holiday. Everyone is so busy decorating and buying they don't stop to remember why we have the Holiday. Some of it is our fault as we raised our kids to tell Santa Clause what they want, tell easter bunny what you want. The commericail world konws this and plays on our weak spots our kids. I am as guilty as everyone else, but I am trying to stop and tell my DGC what the holidays mean. As I get older I enjoy the togetherness more than anything and love Thanksgiving when we all come together. Now off my soap box lol
Old 11-07-2010, 08:31 AM

I have always loved Thanksgiving partly because the commercial world ignored it. I didn't have to give gifts or decorate. Just get together with family and loved ones, eat great food, and be thankful. Can't get much better than that.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Dix

Amen to that!!!! It seems that holiday has just gotten lost in between Halloween and Christmas.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:45 AM

I like Thanksgiving too even though this year it may be just DH and I, think I'll be sewing away as the turkey breast cooks. As long as I have plenty of gravy, potatoes, sweet potaotes and cranberry sauce, DH is in heaven. I continue to celebrate Thanksgiving the next day too, my cousin has a Turkey Soup and Sandwich Open house that day, time to get together with extended family that we don't often see, plus many of her friends and their families.

After that I begin to plan my Christmas gifts for family and one or two friends. My sons and their families are get a gift of 'meat' as one DIL calls it, I order them some steaks to be delivered to their door a few weeks before Christmas. Everyone gets a 'little' gift from DH and I on Christmas, I no longer have the time, engery or $'s for big shopping or gifts. Sorry to all those loud Holiday commericals, I'm ignoring you. May in Jersey
Old 11-07-2010, 12:11 PM

I agree. Christmas is being run into the ground and that is not what it is all about! Too much emphasis on spending and running to and fro. Staying home and doing handmade and just celebrating Jesus is paramount in my house!
Old 11-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

I love Thanksgiving. As an immigrant and a naturalized citizen it is "my" holiday. We will spend it with friends from Germany who just bought their house. They are family to us and that is what the day is about.

Friday after is a day off from work and in all the years here, I have never gone shopping then. It's a madhouse in the stores.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:24 PM

Thanksgiving is the one time a year that all of my children and their families get together. Would be devastated if the wonderful daughter-in-law who hosts the day decided it was too much for her.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:28 PM

Thanksgiving is such a wonderful holiday and it is a shame that it doesn't get the recognition that other holidays that preceed it get. I love Christmas too...but don't even start to think about it until after Thanksgiving is over...it seems that in stores the day one holiday is over, they are stocking the shelves for the next...and yes, Thanksgiving pretty much gets skipped over and the stores jump from Halloween to Christmas. For us, Thanksgiving is family, and giving thanks for what we have, for who we have had in our lives, and for sharing. Our church has a service on Thanksgiving eve and it is always a beautiful, meaningful service.

I love the foods of Thanksgiving..we almost always have certain foods that certain people HAVE to bring, and we really look forward to spending the day together. Since I usually work both the day before and after Thanskgiving, usually spend the holiday with my inlaws who live locally (even though my husband is deceased), as my family is several hours away.

I usually bring the pumpkin pie!

Kim
Old 11-07-2010, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
All of the holidays are so commercialized now, it's all about how much money they can get people to spend even though the people can't necessarily afford it, they'll put it on the credit card and be paying for years on it, because they usually won't be done paying that off when the next Christmas comes. The true meanings of Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter are forgotten, even holidays like Memorial Day, etc, but you'll still find "Memorial Day" sales.
We have a large family and we had exchanged names in the past, but this year we are pooling the money we would normally spend on gifts and giving it to a missionary. We know that in these troubled economic times, they are not getting the money they need, so we,as a family, decided to give to the missionary family instead of each other. We have already received the greatest gift of all...and He is what celebrating Christmas is all about, isn't He?
Old 11-07-2010, 01:00 PM

This year I think we will be having a small Thanksgiving, which is fine with me. Less tension. DS will be marching (Univ of Akron marching band) the day after Thanksgiving, so no sales for me. Actually, I only went once, he was small and I was looking for a particular toy. Never again!