And then it's winter

Old 06-18-2013, 01:28 PM

Ditter! Did you look inside of my brain! Everything you have said I feel. I too am in the winter of my life and wonder where the years went when my kids were little and learning to ride their bikes. My girls are now in their 50's and I don't know how they got so old I am now 77 and wonder how I got to be this age. I have some good friends and we do get together and laugh a lot and this is SO important to do. Keeping busy with crafts and quilting is so good for us. It is something to look forward to. I think women are lucky in the sense that we do have hobbies moreso than men. Thanks Ditter!!
Old 06-18-2013, 01:29 PM

That was great. Thank you Ditter. I guess I'm a little luckier in that I have no health issues yet but certainly relate to the passing of time. Starting to feel like my daughter looks out for me now if we're shopping etc. but she's moving 12 hours away soon and I'm going to miss her and her husband and especially the 2 grandchildren so much. I'm a little down and teary at present. We still live 20 minutes from son, DIL and 3 grandchildren and I've just loved having them all close.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:07 PM

Thank you for posting this. I hope some of our young quilters read it too. Like you I'm in winter. I had hoped to have better health at this stage but life & retirement are still good & grandchildren are the absolute best thing God has given us..
Old 06-18-2013, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

Thought provoking essays -
Old 06-18-2013, 02:41 PM

Thank you for posting this! When I was younger, I looked at "old" people & thought when I was "old" that I would be ok with it and ready to be "old". I didn't realize then, but I do now, that I have the aches & pains of an older person, but I still feel like I should be young, not old. Where did the time go? I have been blessed in my life, and most of my regrets have to do with the things I wanted to do, but didn't rather than things I did that I wish I hadn't....
Old 06-18-2013, 05:19 PM
Power Poster

My mom used to say - "Who's that old woman that I see in the mirror?"
Old 06-18-2013, 06:52 PM

I've been thinking about this last introspection phase I've been going through and think I've had enough of it...I'm ready to move on...well not "Move on" move on...but search for new purpose which seems to be the biggie for me. I miss the burning desire of the younger years to pursue new adventures...I'm 74...my grandmother lived to 105, my mother to 93...so I'm figuring this could be a long winter...think I'll move my mind to Florida for the next 30 years or so...after all as the saying goes.."it ain't over until you hear me singing" and I can't carry a tune...

Last edited by IshtarsMom; 06-18-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:45 AM

Wow ! thanks Ditter. I always look forward to your postings. I have raised 3 children, been a widow for 14 years, dated for 4 years and now lost him but I have several women friends I travel with. Keep active in your fall and winter years as long as you can. It keeps you young. I do not feel 73, I have very few aches and pains so far and hope to keep it that way. Been in garden club for 14 years, and quilting for about 2 years now. Keep learning new things to keep young. We do not get happiness from others, we make our own happiness. Bless all of you on this board. Lots of tips which I enjoy.. Spend time with children and grandchildren. Just spent the weekend with my sister and brother-in-law they celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.
Janice
Old 06-19-2013, 07:32 AM

So true and yet we move on. I used to worry about what I was wearing when I went out---looking good enough---and then just the other day when shopping at Meijer saw a young woman in pj pants, tank top and SLIPPERS! Good heavens, couldn't even put on shoes????? I used to worry about my makeup, now see women and men with tattoos and piercings all over!!! Lordy, Lordy, what happened to a sense of decorum? I guess it went the same way as manners which have also disappeared.
But I am happy I have a healthy family, a solid marriage, and lots of fabric to play with! Oh, and friends to laugh with.
Thanks for the perspective, Ditter. You always share such interesting thoughts.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:19 AM

LOL! Ditter, you certainly read a lot of people's minds! I think we all 'get oldt too soon and smardt too late'. I look in the mirror and see my mother. Old and gray but I certainly feel young at heart. Quilting keeps me sane, you make such good friends and there's always something new to learn. It keeps my mind busy. Otherwise I fall asleep. I'm thankful for each day the good Lord gives me and choose not to complain over the small stuff and as someone said, it's all small stuff! LOL! My sister-in-law and I used to joke that we hoped we grew old gracefully. Well, we weren't graceful when we were young and neither are we now that we're old. But life is still good!