Thiefs at Jo-Ann's

Old 04-20-2011, 03:47 PM

Good for you..wish more people took action like that.
It really upsets me when I have found meat hidden behind the cereal and ice cream hidden in the produce section. Are "they" made at the store because "they" bounced a check and the store took them to court??? In the long run it costs all of us money.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:50 PM

Good for you. You made a wise choice in not confronting them. People like that can always be dangerous.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:54 PM

Good for you Barbara. If you hear anything about them being caught, let us hear from you.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:31 PM

My son worked theft prevention at a Target. One woman was seen on video putting stuff in her 4 year old daughter's backpack. She walked through the front doors and of course Security stopped her. She was arrested and so was her daughter! What a great parent . Her 4 year old now has a juvenile record thanks to Mom.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:35 PM

Thanks for your good deed! Part of the trouble in the world today is that some people don't have a conscience and they don't know respect -- for property or for people.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:38 PM

Does anyone have any info or directions on how to crochet fabric scraps into rugs? I saw an advertisement about this in a magazine but haven't been able to find instructions or info about how to do this. I need something to do while watching TV in the evenings.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:40 AM

Guess I'll add my story here....many years ago I was walking past a clothing store in a strip shopping mall. All the sudden, the doors flew open and I was run over by two women with arms full of jeans still on hangers. I got up off the ground, saw them climb into a waiting car, and as they pulled away, I stepped out into the lane. Due to traffic, they were unable to make a real fast get away. I got their license plate number, went in the store, told the clerks/manager what I had seen (they had no idea...when they checked, a rack at the front of the store was completely empty!!) Several days past, and I got a call from a local detective at the police department. He brought me mug shots to identify...I was able to identify two of the women, but not the third driving the car. After I identified them, he told me that my quick thinking had led the police to a house on the edge of town that was the staging area for a very large jeans theft ring that had been in operation for several months in the area. Many stores had lost thousands of dollars to these thieves. He said they would cart the jeans down to Mexico where they sold them at a substantial "profit". My getting the license plate number was the first break they had had in the case. When the police staged their raid on the house, they not only found hundreds of pairs of jeans, but (yea, you guessed it) a large cache of drugs. I later found out my identification of the two women, who where the "master-minds" of the thefts, were sentenced to several years in jail. The large theft ring was destroyed.....

One never knows the results of seemingly small actions. Why did I park my car at that end of the shopping center that day??? (not where I usually parked), and why, in a moment of "bravery" (or maybe foolishness) did I jump out into the driving lane and get the plate number?? They could have had a gun, ya know!!!

But I did what I did without thinking about it...just acted on what seemed the thing to do....and the results....well....quite large.

Right place, right time???
Old 04-21-2011, 06:16 AM

I am wondering if they did it on a dare or made a practice of doing it. Several years ago we were at an antique store talking to the owner. We left there and drove about 20-30 miles to next stop and bought something there. I still had the check in my wallet for the first store. Major OOOPS. This store owner called the first one ( he knew them) and let him know we were on our way back. My conscious would not let me rest otherwise.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:28 AM

Thank you for all the heart warming stories of honesty. Some days it is difficult to find good news. Knowing there are good honest people all across the counrty gives me warm fuzzies. :)
Old 04-21-2011, 06:38 AM

I am very impressed you were so alert and reported the theft. So many people do not get involved. Give yourself a pat on the back. Take care.
Linda