Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Things that "horrified" you as a quiltmaker  - >

Things that "horrified" you as a quiltmaker -

Things that "horrified" you as a quiltmaker -

Old 06-04-2017, 11:29 AM

My sister had made a quilt for our grandmother comprised of family photos transferred to fabric and alternating 4 patches. It was tied. She did a fabulous job on what I think was her first quilt. It was greatly loved by our grandmother who had it loving displayed by being carefully folded/draped on a rocking chair in her den. My aunt & uncle moved in with our grandmother in her later years. My aunt decided it was perfect acceptable as a dog bed. Needless to say, it was destroyed beyond repair.

And they wonder why, after my grandmother's death, I took back the quilt that I had made for her!
Old 06-04-2017, 11:46 AM

I have something "great" share to even out the horror stories.

A friend of ours who has gastric bypass surgery a few years ago. Two years ago he insurance company finally agreed to the surgery to have all the excess skin removed. She developed some complications post surgery with bleeding and a lot of pain too.

The quilt I made her was her cuddle buddy during that time. She said it kept her warm and was a great comfort.
To refresh your memory.....
Attached Thumbnails pb070001.jpg  
Old 06-04-2017, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
My feeling has always been that once I give something to another as a gift, it is theirs to do with as they wish. I have no say in the matter. That being said, I have the right to not gift them again -- without an explanation.
I agree with this. Once given it is no longer mine.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:55 PM

Don't forget, with all the import quilts that have come into the country in the last 25 years, that "heirloom" quilt you see your neighbors putting on their car may have been bought for $19.95 in a discount store. Same with the ones you see in thrift stores sometimes. They are not all reason to feel sad.

Now the ones where YOU made and gave the quilt, and you see it being mistreated -- child, do not allow me to commence!!!
Old 06-04-2017, 05:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
I have no problem with my GS using his QOV for his dog. It's his quilt and he took it with him wherever he was sent, so it served its purpose. My issue with the other one wasn't sitting on the quilt - they are made to be used, but sitting on the Tree of Life and what it symbolizes.
I don't know why I should not sit on a Tree of Life - or what it symbolizes. Tell me - - - -
Old 06-04-2017, 06:23 PM

I have told people that I want my quilts to be worn out with love and use. Built the forts in the front room, take it to the beach, cuddle it when you are sick, cover that piece of furniture that holds so many memories when you move, wrap your furbaby in it like your do your other children or simply put it on your bed to keep you warm... but please whatever you do, don't stick it in a closet for "special" times... everyday, every action is special. Yes it took me a lot of time and money to make it, but I loved you enough to give it to you.... love me back by using it however you want to. If, in time, it wears out and I am able to, I will make you another one as you tell me all the times you used the quilt and how it never sat lonely in a closet. It is your quilt now... not mine.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:36 PM

I always enclose a care sheet with gifted quilts, but have a question--many of your are appalled that someone would use a quilt as a dog bed (I am too!) but many of you also have no qualms about allowing your dogs and cats on the beds where quilts are--what's the difference?
Old 06-04-2017, 11:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by moonwork42029 View Post
I have told people that I want my quilts to be worn out with love and use. Built the forts in the front room, take it to the beach, cuddle it when you are sick, cover that piece of furniture that holds so many memories when you move, wrap your furbaby in it like your do your other children or simply put it on your bed to keep you warm... but please whatever you do, don't stick it in a closet for "special" times... everyday, every action is special. Yes it took me a lot of time and money to make it, but I loved you enough to give it to you.... love me back by using it however you want to. If, in time, it wears out and I am able to, I will make you another one as you tell me all the times you used the quilt and how it never sat lonely in a closet. It is your quilt now... not mine.

This is how I feel too. I feel sadder seeing them hid away in a closet than I do seeing them where I think they shouldn't be. Use it up! Wear it out! I'll make more!

Cari
Old 06-05-2017, 12:13 AM

I know a lady who spent months making her son a quilt. She was so proud of it. The son let his step-kids use the quilt for camping in their yard, which, in itself, is okay as long as they took care of it. After their "camping trip" was over, they didn't bring the quilt back in. They left it laying there, with the sun/rain/etc. beating down on it for months. Apparently either nobody missed it and/or nobody cared about it. That makes me so sad, but what's even sadder is that the lady who made the quilt is the one who found it laying in the yard after all that time. Needless to say, it was ruined. She was brokenhearted.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:51 AM

I've made up to 100 gifted quilts, all sizes. 90% were for family and close friends. With the exception of the quilts I made for the two oldest grands, and one I made for my bff and cousin, I've been in all these peoples houses many many many times over the years since making and gifting the quilts, and never seen the quilt out. Yes it's theirs to do with what they want, But lol it would have been nice to at least once seen it being used, even if hanging on a wall, as a tablecover, on a couch, wadded up in the play box for forts, ground cover, something.
I'm a much more believer in USE it please!!, than saving it ...saving it for what??