Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Thinking about getting an outdoor video camera.... >

Thinking about getting an outdoor video camera....

Thinking about getting an outdoor video camera....

Old 06-12-2016, 04:52 PM

Default Thinking about getting an outdoor video camera....

any suggestions. I want to attach it outside to see what is messing with my flowers!!!
Old 06-12-2016, 05:25 PM

From what I understand, DropCam is pretty reasonable. I think I would just assume it's bunnies. At least here in NJ, it's bunny season. They are everywhere including the fenced back yard where the dogs play! I don't plant yellow pansies as they seem to be a bunny delicacy! Or purple. Guess it's whatever is their favorite of the day.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:29 PM

Bunnies loved my rose petals too. They only ate them when they fell off the rose bush, but I was amazed to see them out there one time.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:31 PM

I'm not sure about brand names, but there are pretty inexpensive game cams that are motion activated. You could check Amazon or a local sporting goods store.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:34 PM

The flowers of choice here is moss roses. Chews down and pulls them out. Replanted 5 plants this morning. Look on line to see what I could do, so I used shavings of Irish Spring soap, Walgreen's brand is what I had. Going to look at a Drop Cam thank you for the suggestion.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

With the game cams you can put them right about the level you need them. We were wondering what was doing their business all over our back stoop on the carport. Toads! I didn't know they were so full of til we saw one the other night on our security. Told Mike the camera had a really good lens. I saw more than I really wanted to see!
Originally Posted by Onetomatoplant View Post
I'm not sure about brand names, but there are pretty inexpensive game cams that are motion activated. You could check Amazon or a local sporting goods store.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:13 AM

Try sprinkling the plants and soil with red pepper. Works for me most of the time.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

my husbands co worker has one hooked up and it survaills his house. last week while on vacation, a car sideswiped his car. He rewound the tape and caught the guy who did it. I don't know much about the cameras, just wanted to let you know of the uses of these things.
good luck.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:44 AM

Sprinkling pepper on pansies keeps the bunnies from eating them. Liquid Fence helps with deer and squirrels. We have lots of Oak trees & the squirrels were digging in my flower pots burying acorns. Since I sprayed the Liquid Fence around the pots, the squirrels are leaving the pots alone.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:01 AM

Years ago, my ever-curious, handyman FIL set up a camera to record all the birds that came to his feeder. We were all amazed at the variety. PS he also had a birdbath/fountain that he had rigged up using an old fish tank pump.