Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
For those who have a screened room..... >

For those who have a screened room.....

For those who have a screened room.....

Old 02-16-2014, 08:13 AM

Our last house had a huge screened porch with space for a swing, bench, table and chairs. It was up high in the trees so it had the feel of a treehouse. I never sewed there but spent a lot of time swinging/ daydreaming and listening to birds. We often ate dinner out there. Did you guess?...I loved it. The house we're in now doesn't have one...really miss it.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:36 AM

We put super solar screens on our windows. It's supposed to cut out up to 90% of the heat from the sun. It is a very thick fiberglass screen and we put it the whole height of the windows. We had some that were 3x7 across the back of the house. We got the screen and the frame kits from Home Depot. It cuts down on the light and you can still see out. Another thing we have used is a 4-mil 35% charcoal security film. When we applied the film on 1 window and checked the temperature, there was a 9 degree difference in temperature from the window with the film and the window 1 foot away when the sun was shining directly at them. One of these ideas might help. It get pretty hot here. I'm about 50 miles northwest of New Orleans.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:01 AM

We have had ours for about ten years and DH says it was the best idea I ever had, (I don't know about that).
We had an open deck that we hardy used because it was to hot when the sun hit it, (In the AM). First thought
was just to put a roof on. As the progress went on, I suggested screening it in.( I hate flies and bugs when
trying to eat). Everyone that visits us say they want to this to their deck.
If you are facing west, you will definitely have to put up shades for the PM sun. Luckily our faces East.
Go for it. You will not be sorry.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:41 PM

We have a screened in room that is fairly large and we use it from May to October. It is off our dining room and has French doors which make it seem larger when the doors are open. We have a dining table out there as well as a sitting area for just "chillaxin" (my daughters word.) Love it and use it a lot!
Old 02-16-2014, 02:01 PM

We love our screened porch. Use it all the time in the spring/summer/fall for dining and just lounging. We have a walk-out basement so the porch which comes off the family room is at second-story height and catches the breeze well. We have a ceiling fan to add more breeze and instead of solid panels on the bottom of the walls, we choose to put porch railings with spindles inside the screens. It meets code (since it's more than 2 ft off the ground it needs a safety rail) but doesn't block the view when you're sitting. The perimeter has electrical outlets so I have sewn out there but it is a pain to haul everything out and back. I do love to do hand sewing like bindings out there.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:07 PM

We screened in our porch and use it constantly until the very hottest part of the summer as it is not air conditioned. I love the light out there and I can watch the many birds that feed there. We eat out there and I sew a lot out there.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:18 PM

We has a deck and a screen in porch...never use the deck and we do use the screened in porch...wish it was bigger. We have been talking about ripping it down and redoing it to be a all year round. I would love real window in there so I could put a sewing machine or my treadmill out there.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:36 PM

We had a carport attached to our house and my wonderful husband realized I really needed a place to do my sewing and quilting, so he screened the carport in. this worked for awhile as a patio, sitting area, but it got way too dirty with a dust blowing in to do any sewing. After a few years he had the room completely windowed in, heat and air added, and carpeted. Now I have a fabulous sewing room with my midarm frame, 4 sewing machines, cutting table, and plenty of room for all my fabric and accessories. I know I am a very lucky lady and know my husband is the best!! But even if you have a small space, continue to sew and quilt. It is a wonderful life!!