Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Thread Ends

Blog Entries

Thread Ends

Hi again,
    Has anyone ever found a use for the ends of fabric cut off of sewn projects? Would it be a good idea to stuff bears with this?
    Between me and the occasional person coming in to sew there's a lot of extra thread.

Blog Entries
    I can't see why you can't I knew a woman that did that. she'd stuff the bear, then take hunks of thrad and fabric and stuff the middle with it. give it a try. you won't know till you try it. let us know how it turns out.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I throw mine away.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I make pet beds for the local animal rescue groups. We collect any scraps of batting and fabric. There is a u-tube video to make them but Jenny needs to be more carefully because these beds need to be washed and without channel stitch, washing machines can be damaged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amP0tC8d3cc
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I also stuff pet beds for my local shelter.

I also save mine for making pet beds for our local shelter.

Can't help you there. I don't have thread ends, except when I first thread my machine. I use a piece of scrap fabric at the beginning and end of each seam, so I don't have "tails". Sure saves on thread!
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  121.1 KB
    Tenacity is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with the absolute certainty that what we are looking for is going to transpire. -Oswald Chambers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cindi View Post
    Can't help you there. I don't have thread ends, except when I first thread my machine. I use a piece of scrap fabric at the beginning and end of each seam, so I don't have "tails". Sure saves on thread!
    ditto, it also keeps " extra thread ends " off the floor .
    Sweet Home Alabama

I make a sort of lacy fabric with all the thread ends and make it into bowls, hats and scarves, depending on the amount and colour etc. The thread is too pretty to hide away.

Blog Entries
    Try Bonnie Hunter's leaders and enders system and you won't have any thread waste. Plus you'll end up with units for another project.

Blog Entries
    Oh my.... I was thrilled to death to see your messy scrap leader and ender. It looks as bad as mine and with all the scraps I have that I can use I find myself periodically trimming all this thread off to have a neat scrap....LOL.

Mimi-17 I use leaders and enders too. It keeps my fabric from getting pushed down into the bobin case.

I read that some quilters sprinkle them in their yard for the birds to use in their nests. This would be a great time of year for that. I haven't done it myself as I use leaders and enders now.
    I am too POSITIVE to be doubtful, too OPTIMISTIC to be fearful and way to DETERMINED to be defeated.

Quote Originally Posted by GrammaNan View Post
    I read that some quilters sprinkle them in their yard for the birds to use in their nests. This would be a great time of year for that. I haven't done it myself as I use leaders and enders now.
    This should only be done IF the threads are cut in smaller pieces. The reason is the thread can get tangeld around their legs & cut off circulation or cause serious damage.