Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tin foil to block credit card scanners? >

Tin foil to block credit card scanners?

Tin foil to block credit card scanners?

Old 12-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Sis

Location: Born a SE Ohio Buckeye,now a Middle Tennessee Volunteer

Sounds like women who lived on the frontier-caring for and protecting the home while the menfolk were doing whatever they did back then.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:02 PM
Sis

Location: Born a SE Ohio Buckeye,now a Middle Tennessee Volunteer

Originally Posted by Wings
Wow - quilters with guns! Now that is something we don't have over here in Oz! We have gun laws in force over here and masses of guns were handed back years ago to the government for destruction. Took me a minute to get my head around the thought of quilting and guns in the same sentence.
Sounds like women who lived on the frontier-caring for and protecting the home while the menfolk were doing whatever they did back then.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Wings
Wow - quilters with guns! Now that is something we don't have over here in Oz! We have gun laws in force over here and masses of guns were handed back years ago to the government for destruction. Took me a minute to get my head around the thought of quilting and guns in the same sentence.
We have an expression: "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns."
Old 12-19-2010, 11:46 PM

:D DH keeps asking if I want a pistol. I am about to decide for sure that yes I would like a pink pistol. :D Bet he will get some funny looks out shopping for a pink gun. :D
Old 12-20-2010, 01:20 AM

We had a mass shooting incident some years ago and thirty odd people died and that is when the gun laws came in here. What we do suffer from here are criminal gangs who fly in from Europe and they put scamming devices into our bank teller machines and also replace shop eftos machines when the owners are not looking and then all the details go straight to them. It is very unnerving as one gang was caught just north of where I live, they were from Romania and were loitering near the bank machines when arrested. Millions of dollars are stolen each year this way and they blame our bank technology for not being more up to date. The banks generally make good the stolen amounts.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I think my .40 Smith and Wesson should keep them from trying something stupid like that. I can not tell you how many folks walk the other way when they see it on my hip.

Billy
I'm with you Billy. I think if we all had a gun on our hip, crimes of all kinds would decrease. Think about it-- if you knew you would be killed instantly, who in their right mind would reach for your wallet/purse or threaten your family. I have taught NRA personal protection programs for women and taught them how to use a handgun. Please keep our right to bear arms alive. Remember if guns are outlawed- only outlaws will have guns!
Old 12-20-2010, 11:09 AM

No I don't think this is a myth a friend told me about this before I had seen it on here. Yes aluminom foil should work because it works against radar guns that gets you when your speeding. :) I know
Old 12-20-2010, 11:15 AM

Smacking my forehead....Tin foil nowadays is aluminum foil, I knew that but I just haven't downloaded the info to my tongue...
I'm old, what can I say...:)
Old 12-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

Just about everyone in my family calls aluminum foil "tin foil."

Is there even such a thing as "tin foil"?
Old 12-20-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Just about everyone in my family calls aluminum foil "tin foil."

Is there even such a thing as "tin foil"?
not anymore, at least for wrapping food in the U.S.
Maybe elsewhere.
Foods used to processed into tin cans (circa 1950s and earlier) but now they're all aluminum. The British (and probably other English speaking countries) still call canned foods "tinned foods", I think, even though I'm sure their cans are also aluminum today.