Tired of cooking..

Old 12-15-2017, 01:15 PM

Default Tired of cooking..

I never really enjoyed cooking, sad to say. I think it has to do with the fact that I'm not a hardy eater and my palette is a bit discriminatory. However, my husband was raised by a mid-west mama who cooked three hot meals a day....he loves everything... So, for 30 years I've cooked hardy meals...stuff I don't eat. I can go all day without a thought to eating but hubbie needs his 3 meals so I stop what I'm doing and cook or make him something. 2018, I'm going to introduce a new routine and eat out more. I'd like a break.. Anyone else hit their cooking threshold?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-15-2017 at 01:43 PM. Reason: language
Old 12-15-2017, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

I hit mine many years ago! Hubby was brought up by the kind of mother who served three hearty meals daily and who prepared lunch desserts of fruits made into smiley faces for her children. I was brought up by the kind of mother who thought nothing of serving canned beans and hot dogs for dinners two nights in a row. (Once she did it three nights in a row and I complained!) My style of cooking involves making a hearty soup or one-dish casserole for dinner. Hubs got tired of that type of cooking and wanted more exotic meals. Thirty years later he is the best Indian cook I know! He makes almost all of our meals (not just Indian food) now; I have to fight to make dinner once in awhile.

My older sister did all of the cooking for her family. I don't think her husband ever learned how to boil an egg. She got very tired of the cooking too.

At this point, I think your idea to eat out more often is very practical. The problem we found with eating out is that there are only a very few restaurants that offer the quality of food we want to eat at a price point we find of value.

Last edited by Prism99; 12-15-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:45 PM

With eating out, I worry about health impact, too. We are not fast food eaters often and we watch sodium and cholesterol... I cook healthy so it will have to be infrequent. He doesn't mind cooking his own breakfast or lunch on occasion...but dinners are on me. I'm thinking I can solicit his help and we can cook meals together more often. Anything to make it more fun and not such a chore for me. That sounds terrible. I love taking care of my husband just tired of cooking..Lol...
Old 12-15-2017, 01:45 PM

Being "an elder/widowed" am definitely not a Cooking Buff... Of course, most attempts are disheartening "disasters",
Whereas a sister is an exceptional cook.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltQtrs View Post
Being "an elder/widowed" am definitely not a Cooking Buff... Of course, most attempts are disheartening "disasters",
Whereas a sister is an exceptional cook.
I'm sure your cooking is not disastrous!! Lol... You just got the quilting gene. My husband brags about my cooking so I have to trust him since a I hate most of the stuff I make for him and I'm not a good taste tester. I eat my cooking because it's healthy. I try new recipes all the time to challenge me but I really still do not enjoy it. I enjoy cooking for company. I think it's just the everyday thing that has worn me down. And it could be that I just baked 5 treat recipes for my family gathering tomorrow at my sisters. HA! I'd like to close the kitchen for the day...
Old 12-15-2017, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

My Mom was/is a wonderful cook but she would never lets us in "her" kitchen. When I got married my husband had to teach me how! He's an amazing cook, a total foodie, and a food chemist. He does a lot of the cooking now but when our kids were little I cooked a lot. I liked cooking for them but nowadays have no interest at all!
But ooohhhh I love to eat
Old 12-15-2017, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
I never really enjoyed cooking, sad to say. I think it has to do with the fact that I'm not a hardy eater and my palette is a bit discriminatory. However, my husband was raised by a mid-west mama who cooked three hot meals a day....he loves everything... So, for 30 years I've cooked hardy meals...stuff I don't eat. I can go all day without a thought to eating but hubbie needs his 3 meals so I stop what I'm doing and cook or make him something. 2018, I'm going to introduce a new routine and eat out more. I'd like a break.. Anyone else hit their cooking threshold?
hubs raised in german/norwegion midwest family w lots of meat & potatoes ..me german w a gramma who was a great cook ..but like you, i'm not big eater. prefer a bowl of beans to most anything. am a good cook & have always enjoyed cooking. but after years and years and years ..
.....i'm tired of cooking.
only cook on weekends ..he can nuke a freezer meal or leftovers during week.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by roguequilter View Post
hubs raised in german/norwegion midwest family w lots of meat & potatoes ..me german w a gramma who was a great cook ..but like you, i'm not big eater. prefer a bowl of beans to most anything. am a good cook & have always enjoyed cooking. but after years and years and years ..
.....i'm tired of cooking.
only cook on weekends ..he can nuke a freezer meal or leftovers during week.
i dislike leftovers but hubbie gobbles that stuff up so I always make extra for that very reason. He usually eats the leftovers for lunch next day with a bit variation. ....then I'm faced with another dinner to cook. Ugh! Endless cycle.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-16-2017 at 08:14 AM. Reason: remove shouting
Old 12-15-2017, 02:31 PM

I do not understand this.
Two adults live in a house, but only one adult does the cooking all the time? I am not surprised that you are fed up, anyone would be. Why not take it in turns - you cook for 2 days and he cooks for 2 days etc. One of you is not a servant, and the other the 'the boss'.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:35 PM

My husband was raised by a southern stay-at-home mama who loved to cook and cooked all the time. I was raised by a midwestern mother in southern California so I cook more like California. He would love for me to cook all the time. I told him when I wasn't working, we'd talk. In 30 years of marriage, I've always worked so only cooked minimally and what I wanted. He finally started grilling so that he could have the meat he wanted cooked like he wanted it. Fine with me.