Tired of cooking..

Old 12-16-2017, 02:37 AM

I don't cook much anymore. When I do its soup or crock pot.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Sometimes it's not so much the cooking, it's trying to decide what to cook that's the problem.

When I ask the dialog goes something like this -

Me: What are you hungry for?
Him: Whatever you want to fix.
Me: Sorry - we don't have any "whatever" in the house.

or

Me: What do want for supper?
Him: Whatever you want to fix.
Me: Guess we won't be eating, then.
Deciding is exactly the issue we have in our house too. I am more of a salad, fish, veggie kind of gal and my DH is a meat and potato guy. I don’t grocery shop like normal households, we often pick things up the same or previous day.
Often times we just fend for ourselves.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:40 AM

Without sounding whiny, let me just say I’ve been cooking over 55 years. Nonstop. We eat out two or three times a week. That’s no longer fun, either. At least we haven’t had to collect and eat manna for 40 years! Hubs does not eat leftovers. Ever. If I cook, he does the clean up and vice versa. He can cook a few things, but they are all fried, except mashed spuds! LOL!

Edited for spelling.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:08 AM

My husband of fifty two years, doesn't cook (At all). I have been cooking since I was thirteen. I cook three meals a day. When I make breakfast pancakes for example, I do meal sizes to freeze so all he has to do is pop one pkg in the micro wave. Other mornings it's cereal, french toast etc. Lunch I make different sandwiches each day or home made soup. I'm always cooking new recipes for dinner, I don't like cooking the same old thing for dinner so, he never knows what he's getting. LOL. I use my crockpot a lot, especially in the winter.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-16-2017 at 08:12 AM. Reason: remove shouting
Old 12-16-2017, 06:18 AM

Switching up the days for cooking works for me. DH is retired and I work 60 hrs a week. He cooks or at least tries (lol) each week day night and I get to cook every Sat or Sun that is if I don't make reservations. I enjoy it- take out a cookbook or go on Pinterest to find a new recipe and start being creative. Some are hits and some are misses but the joy is preparing something new. The hardest part is finding gourmet recipes that won't have a lot of leftovers. That is the one thing I could do without. So many times just halve the recipe.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:26 AM

I never minded cooking meals...was sort of "my job". Most things from scratch. When kids were small, I was stay at home mom and he brought home the paycheck...I once was sick enough to be in bed for a week and he became "housemom"-he never got out of his pjs and said he was ever thankful for what I did, he would sooner dig ditches than run a house w/children....

then kids grew up and out of house..I began working so meals were simpler for us two...I cooked a lot over weekend, froze for week.

Now widowed, dd lives with me, we take turns cooking simple meals, or go to a restaurant..not fast food, and with recipes on line with so many variations, it is kind of fun to try some of the "new" things......
btw, dh would eat anything I cooked, except tuna casserole!
Old 12-16-2017, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

I try to remember to be grateful that:

food is available and we can afford to buy it
that our digestive systems are still working well
that we have a place to cook food
that we have a place to eat food
that we have running water to do clean up

But sometimes I forget and don't want to be bothered about cooking.

My immediate family is extremely easy to cook for. It's just that cooking is not one of those jobs like painting the house that only needs to be done every few years.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:50 AM

I'm on the fence. I hate cooking. But, thankfully, I only have to fix one meal a day. I don't do breakfast or lunch. But, I also pretty much hate to eat out. I feel that that quality of the food out has gone down hill. We only eat out maybe 1 x a month an for the most point it's a splurge at a nice restaurant. I am a decent cook.

DH is just set in his ways. Won't eat left overs, won't eat one dish meals, doesn't eat soups or stews, vegetables seriously, if it's not broccoli or creamed corn *yuck* then he's not eating it. (I like the broccoli, not the corn.). I am so bored making the same old stuff over and over. It gets to the point that I just don't eat much anymore. I also have to be very careful of what I eat and what time, as I suffer from acid reflux. Where as, he likes to eat at 8:00 at night.

And, clean up, that's all on me too. There has never been a fair division of that in our house. And, no matter the time, I will clean it up. I hate to see or smell a dirty kitchen in the morning.

So, wish I could give up cooking altogether. But, just can't for money and taste wise.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:53 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't like to cook. Hubby is a good cook but getting him to cook is another story. Since he works full time I'm stuck with having to cook. He's a meat and potatoes guy and I like to try different things. If I had my way we would eat out most nights but that's too expensive. My ex was a great cook and I rarely had to cook dinner and that was just fine with me.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:03 AM

I'm not that young to think it's modern ideas but housework, cooking, managing the kids are not a wife's job if she works outside the home. It's half her job. The husband has a half of it too. I have a life just as my DH does and he is not going to rob me of hours of it by cooking and cleaning for him because I'm the wife.

Last edited by fruitloop; 12-16-2017 at 07:05 AM.