Tired of cooking..

Old 12-15-2017, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by charley26 View Post
I do not understand this.
Two adults live in a house, but only one adult does the cooking all the time? I am not surprised that you are fed up, anyone would be. Why not take it in turns - you cook for 2 days and he cooks for 2 days etc. One of you is not a servant, and the other the 'the boss'.
lol...my posts do make it sound as if I'm subservient. Really..it's not like that. However, your suggestion of switching nights is a good idea.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

Sometimes it's not so much the cooking, it's trying to decide what to cook that's the problem.

When I ask the dialog goes something like this -

Me: What are you hungry for?
Him: Whatever you want to fix.
Me: Sorry - we don't have any "whatever" in the house.

or

Me: What do want for supper?
Him: Whatever you want to fix.
Me: Guess we won't be eating, then.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

It has gotten somewhat easier -

When we were first married, I think he would have wanted me to fix him "a bite to eat" on the way out of a burning house.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

DH learned real fast his expectations of what a wife should do like his mom was not even on my list of being wifey. I worked the same hours as DH so I didn't come home and cook a meal. When the kids got old enough they had to prepare dinner every night. They sure liked the nice things our jobs provided so it was expected for them to earn them. I never cook breakfast or lunch for anyone over the age of 8 unless someone is sick.
When I decided to stop working and stay home I didn't mind having DH a dinner prepared most nights when he came home from work. Now that he is retired we are even again so I don't cook unless I want to.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
i dislike leftovers but hubbie gobbles that stuff up so I always make extra for that very reason. He usually eats the leftovers for lunch next day with a bit variation. ....then I'm faced with another dinner to cook. UGH! Endless cycle.
That works ... and make use of your freezer!

While I live alone, I cook a meal with planned-overs.
That could mean making extra rice, and freezing it in single size packets to mix in or serve with other meals.
Or likewise for pasta.
Most soups can be frozen too.

A hamburg hash, the extra gets frozen into single portions, ready to zap in the microwave.
This time of the year ... turkey dinners into the freezer from leftovers. Again, ready to zap.
And so on with other

Company here ... I might bring out two or three of the singles to put together in a soup pot or combine in a casserole dish etc. Or I just make a bigger meal, with plans for all those wonderful leftovers!

Makes for some pretty easy but quality eating when I don't want to cook!
Works perfectly when I want to sit and sew ............
Old 12-15-2017, 04:59 PM

I got sick of cooking a few years ago. I have cooked full meals since I was 11 yrs old. I had 4 brothers and no sisters. Yes after 65 yrs of cooking i don't like it a bit.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

I have cooked about 60 years. Married 56 and still cook. Husband makes his own breakfast during the week and every weekend. That started maybe 15 -20 yr.s, weekends maybe 8-10 years.
I like to make a big pot of beans, soup, chili, stroganoff, etc. Then we have leftovers we love for dinner we just have to nuke the food. Then I break it up with fish, hamburgers, chili dogs and such for a while. We do not enjoy eating out. I would rather cook than go hungry.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:11 PM
Power Poster

I am very lucky to have a husband who loves to cook. He tells me all the time that I do not have to if I don't feel like it. He does dinner many nights. That is why I enjoy making cookies, pumpkin bread, and brownies for him.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:06 PM

I hit mine a long time ago. I very rarely cook and my dh asks me to buy TV dinners, so that's what he eats. I also never liked cooking, and my dh is the picky one, which doesn't help if you don't like to cook in the first place.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:27 PM
Power Poster

For years I didn't mind it. Then a couple years ago got very tired of cooking. Mr stitchnripper was still working and I was retired so thought I could have a meal of sorts when he got home. He is not a fussy eater and what he usually got was some kind of meat cooked on the George Foreman grill and a bag of vegetables steamed in the microwave. He never complained and always said thank you and cleaned up the kitchen. Now we are both retired and I have discovered the fun of cooking in the Instant Pot. I feel rejuvenated. He is thrilled. He still cleans up and sometimes says "if I go get the ingredients will you make such and such in the Instant Pot." Yes I could teach him to use it. But really I don't mind. I don't like to eat out too often. Too fattening for us. We both love leftovers too.