Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
today is Sept 22  the 1st day of fall...............where??? >

today is Sept 22 the 1st day of fall...............where???

today is Sept 22 the 1st day of fall...............where???

Old 09-24-2010, 01:04 PM

We still have about 6 weeks before fall arrives in the Phoenix area. While we have enjoyed some nice mornings (70's) this week, another hot spell of 106 is forecasted for this weekend. I can hardly wait for our fall.....about the time the goblins come!
Old 09-24-2010, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by decky
Well in southern Minnesota it is cool today in the 50's. But yesterday we had anywhere from 4 to 9 inches of rain in the area. We are having major flooding in towns around the area. Some towns they can't leave or get into unless you are in a boat. Alot of the roads are closed because of water over the roads, part of a old bridge has just broken up so (one of two ways to get into the town). It's really a mess and they are saying we can get more rain tomorrow.
I had to check on the computer this AM for a neighbor whose wife works in Iowa and is coming home and they said 35 and 52 are shut down. It's been many a year since we have had anything like this! So she will be taking back roads back to the cities! How bout those winds??? Could whisk you away and never be seen again!!!!!

Our gas and electric company, Xcel Energy (it used to be Northern States Power) had a commercial for wintertime. I loved it. It was from Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" (theme song from "Apocalypse Now" and it was "Welcome to Winter - In Minne-Sota. Here is your fuel bill - ha ha ha haaaaa!"

So I hope the water recedes there pretty fast. I heard on the news last night that the water is coming up out of the ground because of the saturation and the water table. We had puddles all over in our yard - Wouldn't go down! Thank God we only had a little water in the basement. Cleaning gutters again today though! Edie
Old 09-24-2010, 01:22 PM

Well it's spring here! Part of the State I live is still coping with major flooding from winter rains but right here, right now, the sun is shining, the birch trees in my backyard are budding green and the cherry blossoms are in flower.

I'm looking foward to some sun on my face.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:25 PM

It's pledsant here in NYC. I am taking the air conditioners out until summer. I have labor available tomorrow.That means a heat wave next month!
Old 09-24-2010, 01:40 PM

Actually it is the Fall Equinox, the point where the daylight and dark hours of the day are equal. <G>
Now they call it the first day of fall, actually it is the middle of the astronomical autumn.
The equinoxes and solstices divide the year into 4 segments that traditional were the midpoints of the seasons. The points when the relative position of the sun 'changes' and can be seen with even primitive key stones like StoneHenge and so on.

So the "start" is just an easy way to say the equinox is here. <G>

Pati, in Phx
Old 09-24-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Deecee
Well it's spring here! Part of the State I live is still coping with major flooding from winter rains but right here, right now, the sun is shining, the birch trees in my backyard are budding green and the cherry blossoms are in flower.

I'm looking foward to some sun on my face.
We have three paper birch in our front yard and they are turning gold now, but with the winds, there aren't many leaves left. I envy you now, but when we get our spring, you can envy us!!!!! Actually, I love the four seasons and they come at just the right time. buddings for Easter, snow for Christmas, bloody hot for the 4th of July and perfect for the little goblins on Hallowe'en and cold for Thanksgiving. Ain't it grand!!!! (I don't say ain't. My mom says there ain't no such word as ain't! And she's 94 and knows!!!!!!! Enjoy your Spring. Edie
Old 09-24-2010, 02:41 PM

We've had our first frost! I would be quite happy with 90* weather for a few days!
Old 09-24-2010, 02:50 PM

Collect those leaves & coat them with glitter. Photo here somewhere! Who has time for housework?
Old 09-24-2010, 04:56 PM

No indeed, it may say fall on calendar, but that's it, still in upper 90's here! I want to change my name, can I do that and how?
Old 09-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Power Poster

Not yet but it is coming.