Too Funny

Old 12-14-2011, 04:19 PM

Lest we forget, years ago in the 1940's and 1950's when I was in public school we started every day with the pledge of allegiance to the flag, and saying a prayer. The prayer was optional. If you didn't want to, you kept quiet and didn't say one. We never had anyone object- I guess we assumed everyone prayed to the deity of their belief, or didn't pray. Lots didn't pray and nothing was ever said about that either. It was their right not to pray. It was required to say the pledge of allegience to the flag and some days we sang the Star Spangled Banner and that was also required since we were citizens. Our school taught a lot about the responsibility of citizenship and the pride of citizenship.We were taught about the heros of our country's history of all colors, black, white and red, male and female. We memorized the Bill of Rights and read the Constitution, and we continured to pray - or not to pray-. But we did it without strife, strikes, and excluding anyone.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by Sunnye View Post
First Amendment to the Constitution; Separation of church and state is meant to protect all of us.
But if you force children to pray in school, you are denying the right NOT to pray, NOT to engage in any religion, which is the same as forcing them to "practice" YOUR religion. That's why people left England; they did have a religion, it just wasn't the king's religion and he said that wasn't allowed. What if MY "religion" is being an atheist? And prayer is not always the answer anyway. Actions are what counts in the real world. Prayers are for your own peace in private.
Aristotle said, "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Now, we've been serious for too long here over something that was meant to be humorous. Shall we move on and agree to disagree? If no,t we should probably move this discussion to some political blog. Holy cow, I don't want to go there!
I guess you didn't read the 1st amendment. The only mention of the words "seperation of church and state" was in a letter Jefferson wrote to a church to assure them the government would not force them to practice one religion or another. That is one of the reasons the founding fathers wrote the 1st amendment. It protects your right to practice your religion if you want. It is no longer even legal to have a moment of silence to pray or not or take a nap on your desk anymore. And that is because of political correctness. No one is forcing anyone to pray, they are just asking for the right to do so themselves, out loud, if they so chose. Without being suspended or otherwise punished. The definition of atheism is the absence of religion, so it can't technically be your religion. And if you are an athiest, why is your belief more important than someone elses? Why should it be forced on everyone else? You are doing what you accuse others of doing.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by janceejan View Post
Kuddos, I agree. Your childs education is what you make it. Active in their education, involved in their education and supporting the school and the system. Hundreds of teachers every year discontinue teaching for one main reason.....the parents.
I will stand in line and agree with these comments.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:22 PM

I was hoping to drop this. Yes, the CONCEPT of freedom of religion came from Jefferson. But the Amendment to the Constitution was ratified in 1791 stating: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of press; or the right of peoples peacefully to assemble and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

It protects your right to practice any religion you want but protects those that choose no religion. One doing nothing is not the same as you doing something, i.e. praying in my face.
Don't take things so literally. And yes I know that being an atheist is not a religion (hence the ' and ' used around the word religion, nor did I say I was one, nor do I force that or anything else on others.
Political correctness means I can't nap at my desk? That's a new one on me.

Let's chill out and move on.
This is the last word from me on this subject. This is not the place for this discussion.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:03 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

they dont want a regular job, reg jobs dont pay 17 million a year!
Old 12-14-2011, 09:36 PM

Funny, but sad.