Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Topaz 20 & thread problems

Topaz 20 & thread problems

Haven't been on here much because of a bunch of stuff going on....Anyways I do alterations and a lot of non-quilting sewing all the time. Just wondering if anyone else has these problems with a HV Topaz. 1. When "trying" to sew with a heavy top stitching thread, the top stitch looks fine, but the bobbin thread has these huge loops...anyone know how to adjust the machine ??? 2. When sewing on a stretchy fabric ( yoga or workout pants, spandex type of fabric ) the machine skips stitches all the time. I use a needle for stretch fabric and set the machine on the stretch setting. Any advice out there ?? Thanks
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-30-2014 at 02:11 AM. Reason: language

I don't know your machine specifically, but the first problem might be a tension thing. Try loosening the top tension(or refer to your manual for suggestions). I'm not really sure but would a walking foot help? I know when I sew on fleece I need to use a walking foot or one of the layers of fabric will slip.

Good luck.
    Sally

Blog Entries
    See if there is any fuzz or thread in the bobbin area, and the area behind the needle. I was always told to rethread the machine when problems first arise. Good luck.

When I had that happen it was because the bobbin was threaded wrong. I have the Topaz 20 and when i put the bobbin thread in I cannot cut of the thread until the cover is back on, then a quick pull of the thread and it is cut. Also, I found my machine wants the top thread and bottom thread to match. It does not like the "bottom" thread when I do embroidery - it just looks horrid. So I use white embroidery thread underneath. Not a big deal for me.

I have a Topaz 20 and use bobbin thread in the bobbin whenever I do embroidery. No problem. If the embroidery is a design that I want to look good on the back then I will use a matching thread top and bottom. I have used alot of different threads both expensive and inexpensive and have not had any problems unless I didn't clean the bobbin area. It does like the bobbin area clean of any lint.

If the bottom thread on your piece is goofy, check the tension on the top thread. Make sure the thread has gone through the tension disks also and that the thread feeds well from the spool.

I would suggest you look in your User Handbook, or go online to the HV site for more info