Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tote Bag question-fusible Pellon >

Tote Bag question-fusible Pellon

Tote Bag question-fusible Pellon

Old 04-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Power Poster

Ha! after reading the directions again, i do believe i have the zipper in right after all!! Now to see how in the world it will turn out on the side i want it to be after getting the lining and bag together. I can't possible see myself making this again but i had intended to make myself one. Hmmm. maybe this will be like labor pains, i'll forget how much it hurt!
Old 04-07-2012, 05:34 AM

Really cute bag! I have found the Lazy Girl bags are really cute when done and easy...after the first one... Thought maybe it was me not reading it thoroughly since I have sewn for many years and tend to think I know what it means...LOL... not always so especially with Lazy Girl, but the bags are worth it. Enjoy your bag!!!
Old 04-07-2012, 07:10 AM

If you have a zipper and have the add a lining and you think you might have things turned around, you probably don't howere, HOT TIP

Make sure the zipper is OPEN before you add the lining. usually what you do is make up the bag outside and the lining seperately which has a tunring gap in the seam. then sew them together. If you have not opened the zipper before sewing you will have a devil of a job to get it open and be able to turn the bag through.

Best Becks
Old 04-07-2012, 07:32 AM

I think that stiffening the lining is nice if you are adding pockets on the inside. Otherwise you get limp pockets.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:35 AM

My Avatar is of a new Margo bag I just finished. I, too, used the Pellon fusible fleece for the outer parts and did use another fusible interfacing for the lining. I didn't have a medium so used a firm.....not too good. It looks just fine when finished, but certainly added to a difficult zipper finish. However, I have made several bags and definitely think that one needs to use a medium stiffener for the lining. I also add some to the pockets.....that's just my preference.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:24 AM

I make a lot of bags and have used Decorbond on some of them. I also like to use the lightweight pellon fusible fleece on the outside fabric and a lightweight fusible interfacing on the lining fabric. Some bag patterns say to use the fusible fleece on both fabrics. I find that makes a very thick seam when you are sewing the bottoms and corners together. So I suggest you use your own judgment as to what you do or do not use. Patterns and instructions are only suggestions and are not written in stone.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

I finished it and posted photos in Pictures section.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:58 AM

You are all right! Some people just prefer to use one product, like 987F Fusible Fleece or TP971F Fusible Thermolam Plus. However, many people use a second interfacing to give the bags a little more stability. Some of the favorites are 808 Craft-Fuse, 809 Decor-Bond and for something less firm 950F ShirTailor. Although a bit pricey, a new product 520 Deco-Fuse is FABULOUS for small purses.