Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Traditional Easter Dinner or something else? >

Traditional Easter Dinner or something else?

Traditional Easter Dinner or something else?

Old 04-05-2012, 01:45 PM
BMP

Originally Posted by Ruby the Quilter View Post
One of the holiday dishes I fix is stuffed dill pickles. One of those things that most people turn up their noses but when the try them they love them. Take a large dill pickle and to make it easy cut it in thirds, core out the seeds and stuff with a stick of velveeta cheese. Slice and chill before serving. My grandmother made them when I was little - probably when Velveeta cheese was first introduced.

I would be willing to try them but I am sure they are loaded with sodium and I would be a balloon for days !!!
Old 04-05-2012, 02:29 PM

We are still in FL for the winter. We are leaving for home the Saturday after Easter and I didn't want to cook because I didn't want to have leftovers, so we decided to go out to dinner with friends. At home we always have a spiral sliced ham and all the trimmings so I insisted that, wherever we go, they have to be serving ham.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:37 PM

Very traditional. I traditionally mooch off my parents. I am happy with whatever she makes. My siblings bring some food but they live close to my parents. I bring my 2 kids and eat whatever my mom makes. LOL. I help with cleaning and whatever food prep my mother trusts me with. I travel 2 hours to my mother's house and stay for a couple days. My husband takes the weekend off at home with no responsibilities and no kids to watch. He enjoys the break and I enjoy the free meals.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:03 PM

hard boiled eggs and chocolate rabbits!!!
Old 04-05-2012, 05:38 PM

In my family, variety is the spice of life, we very seldom have the same thing year to year. The girls and I talk it over and see what recipes we've seen and what sounds good. This year we will only have one daughter at home and hopefully the weather will be warm enough to cook steak on the grill with potatoes w/onions, broccoli and fruit salad. Jelll-o poke cake for dessert. MMMM!!
Old 04-05-2012, 06:06 PM

For the 2nd time in 52 years I am going out for dinner. First time, I had had shoulder surgery and was unabale to cook---this time, I am still unable to cook, I lost my darling husband 03/14/12---cooking is not on my agenda..really, eating isn't either. I was invited by my daughter's fiance's family and then TOLD I was going..be ready at 12:30!
Old 04-05-2012, 06:47 PM

We will have a traditional ham dinner with the trimmings also. Grilled green beans, deviled eggs, corn on the cob, rolls, and Dutch apple pie.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
We are having a cookout. Thanksgiving is the meal that's set in stone around here. Christmas and Easter are flexible.
That's what we're having too. I'm going to grill chicken and we'll have potato salad and baked beans. Since it's just the two of us I'll probably skip the deviled eggs although they're a favorite.

The only holiday we have a traditional holiday dinner is Thanksgiving.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by mrsjdt View Post
For the 2nd time in 52 years I am going out for dinner. First time, I had had shoulder surgery and was unabale to cook---this time, I am still unable to cook, I lost my darling husband 03/14/12---cooking is not on my agenda..really, eating isn't either. I was invited by my daughter's fiance's family and then TOLD I was going..be ready at 12:30!
GOOD FOR THEM AND YOU!!! So sorry about DH and try to remember the reason for Easter...He is Risen!!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Dee

DH and I will treat ourselves with steak, mashed spuds and a green salad. Coconut cream pie for dessert. When the family would get together, long ago, we'd have ham and trimmings. Everyones menu's sound very good.