traveling with grandkids

Old 01-05-2012, 08:19 AM

if they can't leave their gadgets behind or at least in a bag while sightseeing then they shouldn't go. I would tell them that they aren't old enough if they constantly have to be playing instead of seeing europe and learning about it's history.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:25 AM

I think you are totally in the right here. Please do not spend good money for nothing. When I took my DGD to the Mall of America for her high school graduation, I told her she could take her cell phone/Ipod, but she could only use it when I gave her permission. She kept it in her purse and we had a good time. I saw my DGS at Christmas (age 15) not even open gifts because he would not stop looking at his IPAD. I feel really sorry for these kids today, to stay in the house and stay glued to electronic devices instead of going outside and being part of life. Stick to your guns about this.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:05 AM

We also have taken our gks on a trip each summer for the past 7 years (up to 5). We even took three to Alaska one year to spend time with their Alaskan cousins (10 exploring days up and 10 exploring days back plus the time there) when they all ranged from 6 to 9 years old. Electronics aren't an issue, except we skyped (when we could) each day so they could talk to moms and dads. There are two issues I see here. One is that these kids have a chance to experience the real world, be it history, hiking, boating, art,...... whatever and they will never get such a chance again... not at the age they are now with the vision they have now.

The second issue is much more important. If the parents would educate themselves as to what doctors and teaching authorities say about electronic games they would be limiting their children's use of such severely. Studies have been done when children watch the fast paced cartoons (which have an exciting event each 3 seconds .... sounds like our political ads, doesn't it). Anyway, they did brain wave studies of before and after and the children's brain use ability went way down after the frantic cartoons and stayed down for a rather long period of time. You (and the parents) would have to do their own research but, as a family we've done a lot of study on this subject and it seems to comes down to a choice between letting the kids do what "everyone else" is doing or using real experiences to help them develop into what I'd call "real" people.

The idea of letting them use the electonic toys while traveling might be OK, but there would need to be very strict guide lines... like only for one or two hours with an hour break off, and complaining (or not stopping w/in 5 minuetes) loses an hour of the next session. Sounds like the kids wouldn't do this (or the parents, either). I know not taking them will hurt you a lot but I can't see "wasting" a vacation for children who are only going to resent you.

Because of what you want to do I expect you are very intelligent people, and your children probably are also. That doesn't translate into intelligent actions. Those gks need to have parents who are willing to look into the damage that may be happening to the gks brains as well as their social and intellectual development . There needs to be some "wake-up" calls in our society. Even Time and Newsweek have had some very good articles on electronic and kids... but you can go deeper. I expect your kids are just too busy getting their own lives on the tracks they want to be aware of what they are allowing to happen to their own kids.

Good luck. Have fun this summer!

Last edited by Sierra; 01-05-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:39 AM

I guess I am lucky in that my DGS does have gadgets to play with and has brought them to my house. But after he is here, he plays with the toys we have: puzzles, board games, of all things a plastic sword from a costume. he is preteen.
so I have a rule for mom to not even pack the gadgets because I don't want ot be responsible for loosing anything. The gadget has its own suitcase!!
Some of these gadgets are not allowed on the planes for use on the planes without earphones. Might need to check out Foreign Courtries regulations. And the chargers won't work without adapters for the ampage.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

It's disrespectful of the kids to insist their gadgets are that important over your wishes for a short time for a great opportunity for them. They are very foolish and immature so why bother? I bet you can find several very appreciative young people in your community that would never get the chance to go and wouldn't want to miss a minute of the trip. Why cater to selfish kids even if they are grands?
Old 01-05-2012, 01:53 PM

I rarely travel with my g kids. However, when they are with us, their gadget time is limited..... either by time of day ( such as after dinner/before bedtime) and / or # of hours they are allowed to play
Old 01-07-2012, 12:33 PM

one reason I do not want them to bring the electronics with them is because we do not want constantly setting time for electronic and time for sightseeing and stetting 5 minutes or whatever to stop playing. We want it to be educational trip. We do not want to be stressed by this, travel is stressful enough.
thank you for your wise advise, though

Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
We also have taken our gks on a trip each summer for the past 7 years (up to 5). We even took three to Alaska one year to spend time with their Alaskan cousins (10 exploring days up and 10 exploring days back plus the time there) when they all ranged from 6 to 9 years old. Electronics aren't an issue, except we skyped (when we could) each day so they could talk to moms and dads. There are two issues I see here. One is that these kids have a chance to experience the real world, be it history, hiking, boating, art,...... whatever and they will never get such a chance again... not at the age they are now with the vision they have now.

The second issue is much more important. If the parents would educate themselves as to what doctors and teaching authorities say about electronic games they would be limiting their children's use of such severely. Studies have been done when children watch the fast paced cartoons (which have an exciting event each 3 seconds .... sounds like our political ads, doesn't it). Anyway, they did brain wave studies of before and after and the children's brain use ability went way down after the frantic cartoons and stayed down for a rather long period of time. You (and the parents) would have to do their own research but, as a family we've done a lot of study on this subject and it seems to comes down to a choice between letting the kids do what "everyone else" is doing or using real experiences to help them develop into what I'd call "real" people.

The idea of letting them use the electonic toys while traveling might be OK, but there would need to be very strict guide lines... like only for one or two hours with an hour break off, and complaining (or not stopping w/in 5 minuetes) loses an hour of the next session. Sounds like the kids wouldn't do this (or the parents, either). I know not taking them will hurt you a lot but I can't see "wasting" a vacation for children who are only going to resent you.

Because of what you want to do I expect you are very intelligent people, and your children probably are also. That doesn't translate into intelligent actions. Those gks need to have parents who are willing to look into the damage that may be happening to the gks brains as well as their social and intellectual development . There needs to be some "wake-up" calls in our society. Even Time and Newsweek have had some very good articles on electronic and kids... but you can go deeper. I expect your kids are just too busy getting their own lives on the tracks they want to be aware of what they are allowing to happen to their own kids.

Good luck. Have fun this summer!
Old 01-07-2012, 12:34 PM

they are 10 and 12
Old 01-07-2012, 12:35 PM

10 and 12 years old

Originally Posted by craftymatt2 View Post
I wonder how old they are, are they to young to go on such a long trip?? I would rather go by myself.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:38 PM

thank you, very good points

Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie View Post
Mother of five and we travel alot. Were in Europe right now and our kids love it. They do have gadgets but they play those at home. I agree with you, kids miss out on the good stuff for a game. So afraid they will be bored. Our kids love the scenery and what's here.. so cold right now hard to enjoy the sites but summer is different. Stick to your guns, they have to learn entertainment is more then video games. I would pull up images and such so they can see and be part of the planning you might be surprised at the result. Remember the dollar is way down here. 1 euro is 1.45 american dollar. Shop in villages for food, it's cheaper then cities. Fast food is gross here don't waste your money, the oil is different. Everything closes early and most american credit cards don't work on the economy here. Honestly they wont have anywhere to charge there gadgets here without converters. You may know all this but thought i'd throw it in!