UGH!!! Need New Iron

Old 02-12-2012, 09:27 PM

Default UGH!!! Need New Iron

I think reading posts has jinxed me, too!! My Rowenta got very sick on me today...would not heat hot enough and then spit all over me, the ironing board and most importantly, the pants I was pressing and I needed them for function that I needed to leave for shortly (of course!). I had just read a thread about someone needing a new iron and now I can't find it, of course!! UGH

If someone could post that link, I would greatly appreciate it. The search feature didn't get it for me for some reason. I need to spend less than $50 if possible but willing to pay a little more if the iron is worth it. I DO want auto-shut off but not "quickly", steam and get hot enough to iron cotton well. I prefer the regular bottom not the teflon. I don't want it too heavy because I can't manage it with my Fibro.

Is this going to be a Mission Impossible for that price? I know one brand I was reading boout is the Shark. I have a Shark steam mop and love it!!

Along with a new iron, I'm going to purchase the wider ironing board. Tired of mine rocking back and forth no matter where I place it! LOL

Link requested and suggestions needed....again! Thanks!

Last edited by Nanamoms; 02-12-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Power Poster

is this it http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...d-t179055.html

I have a Rowenta that is ok- I have one that is called Professional Series from Hancocks 50% off was 35.00 it is good BUT my best one is the old and beat up Black and Decker from 30 years ago

Good luck with the search
Old 02-12-2012, 09:34 PM

My Rowenta needs to wear a diaper if I'm going to use it with steam, too. Yet, I let it leak all over the end of my ironing board because I love the shape of it and the heat it produces. I have an Oliso as well but find the legs going in and out to be distracting. If anyone has the Shark, it will be interesting to hear about it.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:00 PM

If you dont like the legs on the Oliso, just use the switch so you can use it like other irons.

@ Nannamoms: you can get decent ones at Walmart or Kmart for that price. Just like fabric....get what you can afford.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:41 PM

Big Brother is indeed watching!! This was last post I made last night and when I got back on line, the ad popup was a Consumer Report about irons which rated them. A little scary, huh? I do know about the ads that Google links to searches so I guess the internet is reading my mind now...a totally waste of time for Big Brother! LOL

Actually, some of the recommendations were for 2 Black & Decker irons so going to check those out, too. I remember that my sister has the new "old" style B&D and she said she loved it so I'll let my fingers do the walking to see which I like best. Of course, seeing and holding in person will be the key.

Thanks, susan b for the thread link...that is exactly the one I was talking about.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:06 PM

I have the Shark....best advise I can give you is...DON'T BUY IT!! It isn't worth the plastic in it...it leaks, worked for
about 2-3 months and then just quit. Yep, JUST QUIT!! I went to Wally world and bought a $5.00 one and it chugs along like a $100 Rowenta (that I've also had, and also "killed"..)...so don't waste your money. Go to Wally world! Or go to Goodwill and buy one of the older Black& Decker ones...you won't be disappointed!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:36 AM

Sunbeam Steam Master works very good, and is under 30$ at Walmart. I bought one last week because my old Sunbeam Steam Master is 15 years old, broken from being dropped, and I expect it to die any day. It is still working just fine, but I can't be without an iron, even for a day.

Last edited by yourstrulyquilts; 02-14-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:39 AM

I might suggest getting an iron that is at least 1600 watts, otherwise it takes too long to press something. I found that out when I purchased my new Oliso (1400 wts), love it, but takes a long time to press...My Rowenta I use is 1600 wts, makes a BIG difference..
Old 02-14-2012, 12:39 PM

I also have a Sunbeam iron, several years old...purchased from Costco under $30, 15 minute shutoff, teflon
bottom....works great, no trouble so far and its been used a lot....