Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What iron do you use and recommend?

Question What iron do you use and recommend?

I have GOT to buy a new iron. Mine hardly steams anymore and doesn't seem to get very hot at all. Just about wore myself out ironing dh's shirts this afternoon. I have a cordless Maytag which I loved when I first got it, being able to take it across the room for a seam if necessary. Has anyone used the Oliso that pops up when you sit it down? They're very pretty too. I want automatic shut-off, lots of steam and plenty hot. I also do my husband's shirts and all of my cotton clothes, etc. Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Oh, I mostly do quilting now also do some garment sewing. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    just don't buy Rowenta. they have been catching fire recently. my old one blew my power cord and i'd used it fine for years. I did buy a blue and silver Shark from Target. it's fairly light weight and works fine. no auto shut off which is what i prefer. I understand the Oliso is very heavy.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I am also using a Shark, but it has auto shut-off which I detest. Nevertheless, it STEAMS! Serious Steam, which I love. I agree: don't buy a Rowenta. I also have a little $10 Sunbeam that is a work-horse for the price.

I bought a shark about a year ago. I love the iron but detest their shut off. It shuts off in about 5 min. To turn it back on you first have to shake it and then you have to turn it back on by puching the button 4 times. You have to take it thru all the settings to get it back to cotton. To make matters worse, I am left handed, so my hand is in the way to see the lights go up.

I was in Lowe's earlier this moth and that had an out of date Shark that had a turn dial on for the temp setting. I did buy it as a discount, it shuts off after 7 min. but just have to shake it to get it going again. I love that.
    Mary

Sorry for others but I love my rowenta and have had mine about 6 years with no problems.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    Sorry for others but I love my rowenta and have had mine about 6 years with no problems.
    I love my Rowenta too! I have never had any trouble with leaking or anything. But I also do as the manufacturer suggests and NOT use tap water in it. I think that is why most of them begin to sputter and leak. I like the weight of it and the extended burst of steam when I am ironing yardage. I would get another Rowenta if this one broke!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I love my Oliso. Have had it about a year. Previously I had Rowenta's Over a 10 yr period I had 2 and never had a problem until one day they just stopped heating. My friend bought an Oliso after she saw mine. I have the yellow one and she has the blue one. She also loves hers.
    Fran
    http://franciesboutique.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I have a red and silver Shark (from Wal-Mart).... I LOVE it with one exception.... the auto shut off is way too quick. I have to push the button 4 times (to get it back to cotton setting)... and it seems to take at least 1 minute to heat back up. I spend way too much time waiting for it to re-heat.

I bought a cheap one because I drop mine fairly often. The funny thing is that it's holding up very well to my abuse. It's a Sunbeam from Target.
    Jean

After spending hundreds on Rowena, I finally bought a $35.00 Sunbeam or Black and Decker and love it. No more expensive irons for me. With as much ironing a quilter does, cheaper the better for me.

I have black and decker I picked up at Target.

Love my Rowenta master. I have had it for many years and when it does give out I will replace it in a heart beat. I had an Oliso and I hated it. We sold them where I work and we haven't sold them in years. Waaaaay to many returns. I uaed a Sunbeam once when I was staying in a motel and it worked really well.

if money is no object in your descision then look into a naomoto hys-58 i use one at my business and bring it home sometimes, they are very good quality.

Oliso oliso oliso. Lol. Oh and i love my oliso. had the shark (leaked ) and several others from Walmart. So i traded a machine i want using with my janome/Lizzie dealer. Happy ever since.

I bought the SteamMaster by Sunbeam. LOVE LOVE LOVE it and IT IS HOT! Of course, as it's name implies, it does heavy steam, too. Bought online at Kohls.
    ~Laura

Have the yellow Olisio and love it.

mltquilt

I love my Reliable, with compact vapor generator. I ordered it from Atlanta Thread Company. No problems, and I have owned it for over a yr.
    I filter Rain Water through a coffee filter.

I also go for something inexpensive due to my knocking the iron off the board alot. But watch out when buying and using an iron--the last time I bought one there was a teensy, tiny disclaimer on the boxes of many of the irons---so small I almost couldn't read it, and my eyes see just fine closeup---It said to wash your hands after using the iron as there was LEAD in the cord!! This was in WalMart, where most of the irons are made in China, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by almond View Post
    I bought a shark about a year ago. I love the iron but detest their shut off. It shuts off in about 5 min. To turn it back on you first have to shake it and then you have to turn it back on by puching the button 4 times. You have to take it thru all the settings to get it back to cotton. To make matters worse, I am left handed, so my hand is in the way to see the lights go up.

I was in Lowe's earlier this moth and that had an out of date Shark that had a turn dial on for the temp setting. I did buy it as a discount, it shuts off after 7 min. but just have to shake it to get it going again. I love that.

I too have one of those sharks, and yes , I shake it. Mine usually goes back to where I set it. When I turn it on, I have to press the buttons. I use a travel iron when I press seams.
    I never believe in the word can't,unless you've tried

I'm another that irons clothes as well as quilting. I've been very happy with the 2 Rowenta's I've had over the years. Dropping too many times killed the first one. Current one the cord at the base of the iron has issues. Was ironing clothes last night and it just wouldn't stay on so dug out the travel iron to finish up. I'll probably go for another Rowenta if DH won't try to fix my current one.

I bought myself a cheap dry iron with no safety features whatsoever. I was tired of getting hard water marks or other problems with my Rowenta steam iron which also never seemed to get hot enough. This one has a totally flat sole plate that can be easily cleaned if it needs it. I got mine from the Vermont Country Store online, but they can probably be found elsewhere.
    Diana

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lovequilts View Post
    After spending hundreds on Rowena, I finally bought a $35.00 Sunbeam or Black and Decker and love it. No more expensive irons for me. With as much ironing a quilter does, cheaper the better for me.
    The same for me. I bought a Rowena a few years ago and it wasn't any better that the $35 irons. After a few months it quit getting as hot as it should, and from day 1 it dribbled water. Right now I'm using a Sunbeam and like it, except for that annoying auto shut off, but I figure it's saving me a little electricity and it heats back up really FAST when I need it. When it wears out, I won't feel bad about tossing it and getting a new one.
    Wendy

I have Rowenta I love it, my daughter ironed her blouse here one day, and loved it too, so that is what she received for here birthday that year...
    Dyan

I tried the Olisso. It was too heavy for me. Darn, because I was going to purchase one.

So I stick to my less expensive Black & Decker, though I do have a Maytag cordless for doing that last ironing of tops and backs before they go on my HQ.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Rowenta! hands down one of the best out there, I wait til spring and go to big lots you can get em for like $35.00 or so.
    happy huntin!
    katz

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast