Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What iron do you use and recommend? >

What iron do you use and recommend?

What iron do you use and recommend?

Old 02-14-2012, 03:52 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
Actually the shut off on my iron is not only if not used for 15 min (I agree this is good) but also after 5 min if iron is laying flat (not standing up) Which is very irritating when you are pressing seams, tops, etc. The iron will start blinking and then shut off which also makes it cool down. Oh well I quess that is a good safety feature. It can just be irritating.
bigsister, what kind of iron it that one? I wouldn't like that either. I like it only when sitting on the board and not used for about 8 10 minutes like most of them do I think. Oh, well, I am getting tired of looking. I too have a BandD Classic to use until I decide on a new one but right now, of course, my Maytag seems to be doing great!! lol! go figure!
Old 02-14-2012, 03:59 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have an Oliso. It's my second one. I love it. My first one quit working on me after 3 years and I looked up their phone number and they said to send it to them and for $79 they would either fix it or replace it. Well, 2 weeks later a brand new one came for me in the mail, free!! They never asked me to pay for it. But my old one was 3 years old and I know the warranty was up on it, so I guess they are just a good place to do business with. It has lots of steam, I don't know how long it runs before it shuts itself off, but it warms up very fast, within 1 minute. Has great steam. I also bought a Reliable iron (spent a lot of money on it) but the controls are on the top of the handle and I'm constantly bumping them and accidentally turning it off. But the Reliable has awesome steam. You can hear it roaring when you turn the steam on. Unbelievable. But I still use my Oliso the most.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:05 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Also, the Reliable has a feature that can bypass the shut off if you want. You just hold down the steam button for 8 seconds and it stays on until you manually turn it off. I like that about the Reliable. It's the Reliable Velocity. And it really does steam more than any iron I've ever had. But I use my blue Oliso more often.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:00 AM

For those who had irons that leaked, did you try using vinegar to clean out the calcium deposits?
Old 02-15-2012, 07:24 AM

In searching, I came about a moderately priced Singer iron...2 kinds...a few reviews but they were positive.

Has anyone use the Singer?
Old 02-15-2012, 07:47 AM

I got really tired of messing with steam irons. So.. I up and bought a dry iron and have loved it! When I need steam I just spritz water. Its so easy to keep clean since there are no steam holes to get in the way. I paid $25 with free shipping..best iron I've ever had. Now~ what to do with the 7 steam irons I've basically worn out over the years....?

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CHUQ8wIwAA
Old 02-15-2012, 07:51 AM

I have a gravity-feed iron that I really like, but since it hooks up to a water reservoir that hangs from above, you need to have a dedicated spot for ironing. What I like about it is that it is heavy, but it lays flat (on a pad) so that my wrist never gets tired, it is pointy, it doesn't turn off automatically, it has great steam, and since the reservoir is huge I rarely have to fill it.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:25 PM

bibche, yours sounds great. but since I move around with the iron might not be for me. I have never used a Singer. I don't like their machines so probably wouldn't like their irons. Still leaning toward the T-Fal unless someone has a bad review on that one. The amazon reviews on it are good. Maybe when I get my new sewing room (whenever that is??) I can use one with the steamer feature. Keep those suggestions coming folks. Thanks so much!