Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What iron do you use and recommend? >

What iron do you use and recommend?

What iron do you use and recommend?

Old 02-12-2012, 07:21 PM

Question

Originally Posted by patsynel View Post
I have an Oliso and very pleased with it.
Can you tell me what you like and dislike about this iron? thanks! I doesn't have very good reviews that I can find.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by lunagrandquilter View Post
Love my Reliable. You can turn off the auto shut off if you want, and lots of steam instantly. When you shut off the steam it seems to stop in an instant too. It is a bit heavier than some, maybe mid weight if heavier iron is an issue.
this one doesn't have very good reviews either. I am getting so frustrated with this. I can't find one that doesn't have major drawbacks. I want STEAM AND HEAT!! LOL! Is that too much to ask of an iron!! Thank you all for your input! Don't know why they haven't come up with the perfect iron by now!! I don't mind spending more money if I know it's worth it. but so far, some real issues with all of them!
Old 02-12-2012, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Helen6869 View Post
Can you tell me what you like and dislike about this iron? thanks! I doesn't have very good reviews that I can find.
I have had mine over a year. I am very hard on irons. I like the weight of it and the auto lift featur has saved me from dropping it several times. We have super hard water so use a mixture of 2/3 distilled water and 1/3 tap water, and don't over fill. It also has a reallt long cord.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:04 PM

I bought a $35 Black & Decker form Walmart and I like it for my general clothing ironing. But, as others have said, it has the auto shut off. Hated that for quilting. So I bought an $8 cheapo at the $ store (sunbeam I think) that doesn't have the auto shutoff. I love it. It's a little smaller and light weight. It get's much hotter than the B&D. I love it for my quilting. I also, always use distilled water in my irons. Makes them last much longer and not all that leaking.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:20 PM

Me too. I bought a $20 iron from Walmart. I use tap water in it. It gets hot and it steams, that's all I need.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:27 PM

I have a Rowenta and love love love it. It just keeps on running after all these years. LOL
Old 02-12-2012, 08:41 PM

I have a Shark.. and would take it back if I had the box.. I bought in September or October last year and it will barely steam already.. I've never used tap water in it even one time.. besides I hate the auto shut off.. and the button pushing to get it back to cotton.. on top of those complaints I don't think it heats up like it did... and the silly iron is only a few months old! and I'm sure it's out of the warranty.

I bought a Shark iron because I use a Shark to clean my floors and I love that, I figured I'd love their iron too.. Wrong!
Old 02-12-2012, 08:45 PM

I bought an Oreck cordless iron off ebay about 5 years ago. You can use it with the cord or make it cordless, either way. I use tap water in mine. It gets very hot, and the steam is GREAT. The auto-shut off is too soon for me, but it heats very fast and if I push the button on the way to the ironing board it's usually done heating by the time I have the fabric smoothed and ready. So it's not a problem really.

As I said, I've had it 5 years and it never leaks. I put vinegar in it from time to time, turn it on and let it sit for 10 minutes and then pour it out. I think that's why it's never leaked. Irons do need cleaning from time to time.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:09 PM

Love my T-Fal. It gets hot, has great steam and stays on for at least 10-12 minutes. I even bought a second one for my wash room. Rowenta and Olisso did not have good ratings when I was looking. Many reviews said that they don't last very long. Many swear by them and others swear at them. So I didn't go that way.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:29 AM

I have a reliable also and absolutely love it. It does have an auto shut off, but there is also something you can switch (haven't tried it yet) to change it so it doesn't auto shut off. The only thing I don't like is that it does not have a burst of steam button. I have several friends who have had Oliso's and if you get a good one they love it, but there have been a lot of lemons and they barely last a year.