Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What iron do you use and recommend? >

What iron do you use and recommend?

What iron do you use and recommend?

Old 02-13-2012, 07:51 AM

Another one you might look at is the Delonghi, I went to a mystery class over the weekend and one of the girls was saying that was what she had and she loved it.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:15 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by kathdavis View Post
Love my T-Fal. It gets hot, has great steam and stays on for at least 10-12 minutes. I even bought a second one for my wash room. Rowenta and Olisso did not have good ratings when I was looking. Many reviews said that they don't last very long. Many swear by them and others swear at them. So I didn't go that way.
Amazon has about 50 reviews of their T-Fal and they are all good! The Reliable and Rowenta get pretty bad ones. I guess I will go with the T-Fal although you are the only quilter on here to recommend it. It sounds really good though from those reviews some of which are from sewists/quilters. Thanks for all the input from everyone. I hate to buy anything without a review nowadays cause you surely can't go by brand names any more. What used to be the best no longer seems to be! thanks!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:41 PM

I have had 2 T Fal irons in the past few years & they do a fantastic job. Hot, Great steam with the shot of steam feature & a good sole plate on them. Not too heavy. A tried the Rowenta & found it too heavy for me. As many others have said the auto off feature can be problematic at times but not that often & a little shake it comes right back on. It is, after all, a safety feature so I guess we can't have it all. Hope that helps.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:51 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by callen View Post
I have had 2 T Fal irons in the past few years & they do a fantastic job. Hot, Great steam with the shot of steam feature & a good sole plate on them. Not too heavy. A tried the Rowenta & found it too heavy for me. As many others have said the auto off feature can be problematic at times but not that often & a little shake it comes right back on. It is, after all, a safety feature so I guess we can't have it all. Hope that helps.
Another one! thank you. I hope others that use this iron will give me their opinion also. It really helps me to decide. I really can't stand to throw away my money! Thank you
Old 02-13-2012, 08:05 PM

Here's an online news report that lists Consumer Reports ratings on steam irons. Consumer Reports studied them last summer.
http://articles.boston.com/2011-08-0...nsumer-reports
Old 02-14-2012, 08:38 AM

Alot of irons have auto-shut off and I too hate it. My iron will shut off if I do not lift it upright every few minuets and that means it starts to cool down. I really want to get another iron that has the whole bottom covered with steam vents. I have seem some at Joann's so maybe one of these days I will breakdown and get one. Also want the highest possible wattage with I think is 1800.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
Alot of irons have auto-shut off and I too hate it. My iron will shut off if I do not lift it upright every few minuets and that means it starts to cool down. I really want to get another iron that has the whole bottom covered with steam vents. I have seem some at Joann's so maybe one of these days I will breakdown and get one. Also want the highest possible wattage with I think is 1800.
I absolutely have to have the auto shutoff!! I forget to cut off all kinds of stuff...curling irons, steam irons, coffee pots, you name it!! I really am scared of fire with these. Soooo, that's a requirement for me. Then, plenty of steam, plenty of heat, ease of use (easy to fill and glides well), let's see, yes, won't get knocked off the board easily! just a few. Looked at the consumerresearch report. I wish they would line them up and compare each feature and then you could really tell about them. Can't really tell which one does what. Thanks for the info, though. Still looking! Looked at Lowes' and Walmart yesterday. Nothing there I wanted. Lowe's had the Rowenta though which I didn't know they carried. I am looking at reviews now for sure before I order one. ttyl!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:36 AM

I have an oliso also it is the blue one I love it because I was always forgetting to lift up my iron and now I don't have too. It saves my shoulder some too I have the beginning of arthris in my shoulder. Lifting an iron over and over is hard on it. I also have spurs in my shoulder. I would recommend it
Old 02-14-2012, 12:02 PM

I started another thread on this same issue cause I couldn't find this thread! LOL

Right after reading this thread when first posted, my Rowenta decided to stop getting hot and spurted a whole lot of water on my ironing board and the pants I was ironing. UGH...hate that. Helen, I'm still reading the reviews, too, and I don't know yet what to buy. I do have a $10 travel iron that can fill in briefly. I just hate traveling around to all the stores to try out irons. I need one that gets really hot because I have to wear 100% cotton clothes because of my allergies (anything else makes me itch).

I agree that we can invent impossible things but no one can invent a decent iron!

PS: As of right now, I'm leaning toward a Black & Decker or a Sunbeam!

Last edited by Nanamoms; 02-14-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
Actually the shut off on my iron is not only if not used for 15 min (I agree this is good) but also after 5 min if iron is laying flat (not standing up) Which is very irritating when you are pressing seams, tops, etc. The iron will start blinking and then shut off which also makes it cool down. Oh well I quess that is a good safety feature. It can just be irritating.