Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What iron do you use and recommend? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-iron-do-you-use-recommend-t179055.html)

Helen6869 02-11-2012 05:28 PM

What iron do you use and recommend?

I have GOT to buy a new iron. Mine hardly steams anymore and doesn't seem to get very hot at all. Just about wore myself out ironing dh's shirts this afternoon. I have a cordless Maytag which I loved when I first got it, being able to take it across the room for a seam if necessary. Has anyone used the Oliso that pops up when you sit it down? They're very pretty too. I want automatic shut-off, lots of steam and plenty hot. I also do my husband's shirts and all of my cotton clothes, etc. Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Oh, I mostly do quilting now also do some garment sewing. Thanks!

nativetexan 02-11-2012 05:30 PM

just don't buy Rowenta. they have been catching fire recently. my old one blew my power cord and i'd used it fine for years. I did buy a blue and silver Shark from Target. it's fairly light weight and works fine. no auto shut off which is what i prefer. I understand the Oliso is very heavy.

pattyskypants 02-11-2012 05:33 PM

I am also using a Shark, but it has auto shut-off which I detest. Nevertheless, it STEAMS! Serious Steam, which I love. I agree: don't buy a Rowenta. I also have a little $10 Sunbeam that is a work-horse for the price.

almond 02-11-2012 07:19 PM

I bought a shark about a year ago. I love the iron but detest their shut off. It shuts off in about 5 min. To turn it back on you first have to shake it and then you have to turn it back on by puching the button 4 times. You have to take it thru all the settings to get it back to cotton. To make matters worse, I am left handed, so my hand is in the way to see the lights go up.

I was in Lowe's earlier this moth and that had an out of date Shark that had a turn dial on for the temp setting. I did buy it as a discount, it shuts off after 7 min. but just have to shake it to get it going again. I love that.

Dolphyngyrl 02-11-2012 07:45 PM

Sorry for others but I love my rowenta and have had mine about 6 years with no problems.

auntpiggylpn 02-11-2012 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 4966740)
Sorry for others but I love my rowenta and have had mine about 6 years with no problems.

I love my Rowenta too! I have never had any trouble with leaking or anything. But I also do as the manufacturer suggests and NOT use tap water in it. I think that is why most of them begin to sputter and leak. I like the weight of it and the extended burst of steam when I am ironing yardage. I would get another Rowenta if this one broke!

frarose 02-11-2012 08:26 PM

I love my Oliso. Have had it about a year. Previously I had Rowenta's Over a 10 yr period I had 2 and never had a problem until one day they just stopped heating. My friend bought an Oliso after she saw mine. I have the yellow one and she has the blue one. She also loves hers.

BluegrassGurl 02-11-2012 08:33 PM

I have a red and silver Shark (from Wal-Mart).... I LOVE it with one exception.... the auto shut off is way too quick. I have to push the button 4 times (to get it back to cotton setting)... and it seems to take at least 1 minute to heat back up. I spend way too much time waiting for it to re-heat.

JJean 02-11-2012 08:33 PM

I bought a cheap one because I drop mine fairly often. The funny thing is that it's holding up very well to my abuse. It's a Sunbeam from Target.

lovequilts 02-11-2012 09:00 PM

After spending hundreds on Rowena, I finally bought a $35.00 Sunbeam or Black and Decker and love it. No more expensive irons for me. With as much ironing a quilter does, cheaper the better for me.