Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What iron do you use and recommend? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-iron-do-you-use-recommend-t179055.html)

mighty 02-11-2012 09:02 PM

I have black and decker I picked up at Target.

gotta-sew 02-11-2012 09:27 PM

Love my Rowenta master. I have had it for many years and when it does give out I will replace it in a heart beat. I had an Oliso and I hated it. We sold them where I work and we haven't sold them in years. Waaaaay to many returns. I uaed a Sunbeam once when I was staying in a motel and it worked really well.

genghis khan 02-11-2012 09:36 PM

if money is no object in your descision then look into a naomoto hys-58 i use one at my business and bring it home sometimes, they are very good quality.

knlsmith 02-11-2012 10:02 PM

Oliso oliso oliso. Lol. Oh and i love my oliso. :) had the shark (leaked ) and several others from Walmart. So i traded a machine i want using with my janome/Lizzie dealer. Happy ever since.

quiltyfeelings 02-12-2012 04:16 AM

I bought the SteamMaster by Sunbeam. LOVE LOVE LOVE it and IT IS HOT! Of course, as it's name implies, it does heavy steam, too. Bought online at Kohls.

mltquilt 02-12-2012 04:32 AM

Have the yellow Olisio and love it.

mltquilt

psychonurse 02-12-2012 04:49 AM

I love my Reliable, with compact vapor generator. I ordered it from Atlanta Thread Company. No problems, and I have owned it for over a yr.
I filter Rain Water through a coffee filter.

JustAbitCrazy 02-12-2012 05:54 AM

I also go for something inexpensive due to my knocking the iron off the board alot. But watch out when buying and using an iron--the last time I bought one there was a teensy, tiny disclaimer on the boxes of many of the irons---so small I almost couldn't read it, and my eyes see just fine closeup---It said to wash your hands after using the iron as there was LEAD in the cord!! :shock: This was in WalMart, where most of the irons are made in China, of course...

EagarBeez 02-12-2012 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by almond (Post 4966653)
I bought a shark about a year ago. I love the iron but detest their shut off. It shuts off in about 5 min. To turn it back on you first have to shake it and then you have to turn it back on by puching the button 4 times. You have to take it thru all the settings to get it back to cotton. To make matters worse, I am left handed, so my hand is in the way to see the lights go up.

I was in Lowe's earlier this moth and that had an out of date Shark that had a turn dial on for the temp setting. I did buy it as a discount, it shuts off after 7 min. but just have to shake it to get it going again. I love that.

I too have one of those sharks, and yes , I shake it. Mine usually goes back to where I set it. When I turn it on, I have to press the buttons. I use a travel iron when I press seams.

NJ Quilter 02-12-2012 06:01 AM

I'm another that irons clothes as well as quilting. I've been very happy with the 2 Rowenta's I've had over the years. Dropping too many times killed the first one. Current one the cord at the base of the iron has issues. Was ironing clothes last night and it just wouldn't stay on so dug out the travel iron to finish up. I'll probably go for another Rowenta if DH won't try to fix my current one.