Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ugh! pantry moths!

Ugh! pantry moths!

I opened my pantry door and several small moths flew out. I know what that means! An all day clean out of the shelves. I'm careful about sealing everything but I guess I wasn't careful enough. I guess I'll be purging the pantry all day tomorrow.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Power Poster
    One of the worse things that contain the moth larvae, is bags of bird seed. If all your food stuffs were sealed into containers, they should be fine. I seal everything in my pantry into Tupperware type platic containers for moths and weevils.

Blog Entries
    I got those one time in a bag of cat food - I think.
    Nikki in MO

....and they love oatmeal! :-(((

Blog Entries
    They sell traps for these at places like ace hardware and they work great
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Years ago, I brought some home with me from the grocery store, in a box of cereal. Wasn't sure what store because the cereal had been in the cabinet for about 2 weeks. Cleaned it all out, you know the sad story

A couple of weeks later, I found more in another box of cereal that I'd bought the day before. I knew what store it came from so stopped shopping there. Problem was solved. Thank goodness.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

The worst is those little larva things can burrow in between the lid of your Tupperware and get in. They seem to like all rice, grains and cereal. Little buggers can wreck havoc if you don't catch them quickly. I'm pretty sure mine came from some stuff I bought in bulk bins, but I have seen them in previously unopened flour too. Ewwwww just gave myself the heebee jeebies and I suddenly feel the need to clean out my pantry.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

A while ago, I learned (perhaps from here on the board) that putting Bay Leaves in your cupboards, pantry shelves and under the sink that the little bugs would disappear. AND THEY DID!!!! I put one WHOLE bay leaf in my container of flour, one whole bay leaf in my sugar, and one whole bay leaf in my powdered sugar. I sprinkled bay leaves on the shelf that holds my cereal. Try it. What have you got to lose? I've had difficulty finding bay leaves in the spice aisle in the grocery stores any more, so I finally just went to the bulk food store and got a baggie ful.
    Use your smile to change the world, but don't let the world change your smile.

All I have to offer is lots of {{{{ HUGS }}}} .... nothing worse than having to clean out all that foodstuffs! And then I think back reading where early settlers just sifted them out. Not me and not today!

Blog Entries
    Mine came with a box of cereal..

Blog Entries
    People who live overseas and some of our missionaries ALWAYS HAVE to sift their flour when they use it. The bugs have had time to hatch. We just eat them while still in the egg form. LOL

I've been battling the things for two years. They get into everything, including the telephone. I picked up the receiver and a moth flew into my ear. Yikes! Nothing like the sound and feel of a critter flopping around in your ear. I drowned it with baby oil, flushed it out with a syringe. I'm going to try the bay leaves. I'm already using Revenge moth traps and those work although they can't keep up with the number of moths that I've had. My next cleaning will be down to the bare boards.
    JoyceG

Blog Entries
    I did read that if you bring home your flour, oatmeal, etc. and you immediately put it in the freezer for a few days, that it will kill any eggs, bugs, etc. Don't know for sure if it works, but sounds like it might work.
    Nikki in MO

Blog Entries
    I have pantry moths from bird seed. I am going to try the bay leaves. i have tried every thing else.
    My bird loves peanuts and the moths love the peanuts to.
    Thanks for the tip,
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

My husband and I have been married 47 yrs. and I have used bay leaves on my cupboard and pantry shelves more years than I can remember and have never been bothered with pests. I buy a cheap jar of the leaves and spread them around the shelves.

Both the freezing idea and the bay leaves are really effective. If your climate allows - a potted bay tree near the front door is most useful. Here we have generally low humidity and low rainfall, so I don't even bother drying the leaves....they are not "moist" and in my experience do not stain if used fresh. Make great little bookmarks too....

Blog Entries
    I think the worse was the time I discovered them and found the larva in a bag of flour!!!! It was a very long time before I bought another bag of flour. I made it a mission to accumulate a bunch of inexpensive plastic containers so now anything that could get or have those buggers is in a container. Once you get them it's really hard to get rid of them. I found them far from the kitchen when I was de-bugging!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyce99 View Post
    I've been battling the things for two years. They get into everything, including the telephone. I picked up the receiver and a moth flew into my ear. Yikes! Nothing like the sound and feel of a critter flopping around in your ear. I drowned it with baby oil, flushed it out with a syringe. I'm going to try the bay leaves. I'm already using Revenge moth traps and those work although they can't keep up with the number of moths that I've had. My next cleaning will be down to the bare boards.
    I got them on of all things a house plant that I had bought. It took me yrs to get rid of them and every once in a while I'll still see them. The traps in the store is nothing but adhesive so I just bought the fly strips, the old fashioned kind that spirals down and before you know I kept seeing less and less of them. It was so much cheaper and worked so much better. I hate bugs, got rid of the roaches and water bugs with this stuff in a tube from combat, you need very little and it works fast. Everyonce in a while I'll see a water bug and then I put a little squeeze under the sink and they are gone.
    Judy

Quote Originally Posted by barny View Post
    People who live overseas and some of our missionaries ALWAYS HAVE to sift their flour when they use it. The bugs have had time to hatch. We just eat them while still in the egg form. LOL
    Sadly I think this is true. My aunt gave me a large bag of flour she'd bought on sale (she lived alone) and it had been in her storage for about a year - in a metal tin. Yep my neighbour & I had a bake fest. Thought the little lumps were from the kids playing with homemade playdough. Nope weevils - I threw my batch of buns out but she fed her family hers.
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

Everything box I open I put the contents in a zip lock bag and then back in the box. The culprit was a box of stone ground organic cornmeal. I checked the other organic products and they all were infested. It's not worth buying the organic grains.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
    I did read that if you bring home your flour, oatmeal, etc. and you immediately put it in the freezer for a few days, that it will kill any eggs, bugs, etc. Don't know for sure if it works, but sounds like it might work.
    Yes, this does work - very well, too! I just put a large bag of pancake flour in my freezer yesterday. And I have bay leaves in my pantry to keep the little buggers out of everything else.

Blog Entries
    Flour, oatmeal...anything like that goes in the freezer. We use those things slowly, so it keeps the eggs from hatching. I remember my Dad telling me when I was way younger how much rat poop was allowed in flour. EEEUUUWWW!!!
    Sorry you had the problem...very aggravating!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

DOUBLEMINT GUM also works fantastic. I buy it when it's on sale and my cabinets always have gum laying around. I also put a stick or two in my flour container and also oatmeal container.

Blog Entries
    Ugh! Pantry moths! HATE them! In our last house they came in with some baby clothes from my neighbor. And then the battle was on -- for YEARS. Don't think that baggies will help. They chew right through them. Doesn't matter if the food is organic or not. Anything made with any sort of grain goes directly into the freezer for three days, comes out for a day, and goes back for another day. That way if anything survived the cold enough to hatch, it's finished. Bay leaves are good and I've used them, but they aren't fool proof. My best suggestion are either sprigs of rosemary or dried rosemary in little bags. I've also hung rosemary branches around the house and that seemed to help. But once you have them, it's awfully hard to get rid of them. We're buying a new home and I will be certain that every square inch is scrubbed down with bleach before we get in.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

I don't think these are the bugs you're talking about but I found some little black ant like bugs crawling in my pantry every since my mother came to live with me. Think it might have come with her pantry stuff. They seem to like the same stuff as mentioned here.......flour, sugar, cereal and even pudding items. I put my pasta in the fridge or freezer when it comes home from the store as well as my sugar and flour. Haven't had problems during the winter but just found a few the other day so they're back. Will try the bay leaf suggestion as I'm always looking for non-toxic ways as I have kitties and one is my problem child.............always into stuff she shouldn't be.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast