Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ugh! pantry moths!

Suz
    I prepare for these "visitors" in the spring before the hot weather by putting all of my flour, etc. items into plastic bags. You only have to have this problem once before learning to prepare. I found that I could not return my goods to the pantry for several days, as these pests seem to find a spot to hide. I had to have a whole day w/o their appearance before I felt it was safe to restock.

Oh My!! Between this blog and the wive's tale blog - what a great way to start the day!!
    Thanks to everyone for taking the time for comments!

The last time I had them, it was the Jiffy Corn muffin mix. A few months ago DH and I were grocery shopping and I needed some flour. i went to pick some up and there were weevils crawling all over the outsides of the flour bags. I told DH we were going to have to go shopping at another store. I reported it to a store manager on my way out the door but it took me months before I would shop there again.
    Sharyl

I do believe the bay leaves work. My sister bought enough whole wheat flour for 2 batches of her bread. Put the last 1/2 of the buy in tupperware. 2 weeks later she went to use the remainder and her tupperware container was like a sieve. The buggers had found their way out!
    For the tiny grease ants that sometime I find under the kitchen sink. I put some whole cloves down and have never had any problem with them since.
    Regular ants - I sprinkle baby powder and they disappear you can also use diametatious earth (sp) That is also safe for a person to eat and it will kill parisites you have. Pretty amazing.

Blog Entries
    Had these critters once. Just had moved to another house, not an old house. But an old lady lived there and took in borders. Oh well. Threw out every thing including the spices. Little, little bugs come in spices too. Then I vacuummed the cabinets. Never had any bugs again. I do keep most of my dry goods in the fridge or freezer. This was in 1973, a long time ago.
    I still think I will put bay leaves in the cabinets now because I am in an end unit townhouse. There are 5 houses on this block. Who knows? I lived on a farm so a mouse now and then does not bother me. If I ever see a roach I will sell and build new.
    Last edited by quilter68; 03-12-2014 at 04:41 PM. Reason: sp.
    Quilter 68 who is now 69/and now 70

We had an infestation a few years ago. After cleaning out all the cupboards and throwing out a lot of stuff, they still came back. Bought the moth traps and they have really helped. Think I will try the bay leaves--any thing to get rid of bugs of any kind. I have been in the grocery stores and see the moths flying around. It is no wonder we can't get rid of them.

Blog Entries
    I made sure to wash down the inside of my cabinets with vinegar and water, after cleaning them out, the last time I had moths and that seemed to do the trick. Knock on wood. I hate those little boogers.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
    I got those one time in a bag of cat food - I think.
    Mine were in dog food... and yes, UGH!!!!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

They love dog biscuits. I also found them in boxes of raisins. I had just bought them, opened up the bag inside the box and they flew out. I open my raisins very carefully now.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    All my dry goods, cereals and rice and flour are in large storage bags, jars and Tupperware-like containers. We also buy dog food in large bags. That goes into a large storage bin. DH has the holes sealed so rodents and bugs can't get in. I take photos of these purchases. That way I know when and where I bought all these goods.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    If I see a bunch of bugs hanging around in a certain area in a store, I notify the manager right away. Once a manager poo pooed be about it. Told him I'd call the board of health and notify the "HOME OFFICE". It's a large chain here in Texas. I did both and they replied they had been notified of the issue.

I use whole bay leaves in my grains and cereals they keep the buggies out!

Blog Entries
    I bought dried beans at a bulk store and put them in a mason jar in the pantry. When I went to use them, the jar was full of moths- into the garbage jar and all. I detest bugs of any kind, lucky they are rare in my house- just spiders in the corners sometimes. YUK. I do buy large bags of flour and keep it in a sealed container in the pantry- maybe I should buy some more bay leaves just to be sure.
    'He cannot be a gentleman which loveth not a dog' -John Northbrooke
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

Try putting bay leaves in your cabinets.

·What does a clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds.

Blog Entries
    I found them in dog bones once. I read that they love pasta and to freeze flour, pasta, cereals or anything like that for 24-48 hours in the freezer to kill the eggs.
    ​We can't help everyone, But everyone can help someone.

I have used bay leaves for years. Even in my pasta. Anything that has any flours & cornmeal in the product will end up with these pests. I always put everything in plastic containers with a bay leaf in every container. For your dog food & large bags of things, you can put a few bay leaves in one of those nets that oranges & things come in. Then add that to your big bags. Will prevent the bay leaves from breaking up.

I don't keep birdseed over the summer months for exactly this reason, only takes one moth to infest the entire kitchen. I use food grade diatomatous earth in the birdseed, dog & cat food & any non food items I will be keeping for anything longer than a week & bay leaves everywhere else, these pests get in cracks & creveses & come back after a through cleaning. Government regs allows something like 3% of nonfood items in all packaged food. This could be eggs, bugs, droppings or a whole lot of things we don't want to consume.

I store everything in plastic containers ASAP.

Power Poster
    They can be a real pain...You must seal everything to insure you keep them out....

Blog Entries
    Never had moths but did get tiny mites from brown rice. I now keep anything like flour, oats, gravy powder etc. in the freezer.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't currently have a problem with them but have a couple times in the past. I think mine came in with dog biscuits Another time with some flour. I remember throwing everything into the freezer that did not have bugs yet to kill any that might develop. I'm thinking I may put some bay leaves in the cupboards. Does the rosemary really work? I love the smell of rosemary and have some growing in the yard.
    Them buggers are a real pain!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I opened my pantry door and several small moths flew out. I know what that means! An all day clean out of the shelves. I'm careful about sealing everything but I guess I wasn't careful enough. I guess I'll be purging the pantry all day tomorrow.

EGADS! I hate them - I brought them home w/me last summer in cat crunchies from PetsMart.. But we saw them in Tractor Supply, PetCo and even the lumber yard!! We got some neat, non-smelling little cardboard triangle thingies...They're called "Safer" by Saferbrand....We got them at Home Depot..They fold into a triangle and are wood grained. They are coated with something sticky, and draws them to it...They last a looonnnng time too... You might try them...I have one in ea cupboard, pantry and one sitting on a tall shelf unit, right out in the open, and they go to it too.. Hope they work for you..

I tossed every grain product and did the easiest thing. I called an exterminator. Everything is back to normal. No moths, no eggs, no problem.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

You are so right. Bay leaves work awesome. Sounds crazy but they do.
    Live everyday so that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says oh crap she's up.

I used to have a horrible problem with them. I used to suck them up with the vacuum every time I would see one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast