Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
unconventional sewing room tools >

unconventional sewing room tools

unconventional sewing room tools

Old 12-07-2015, 08:20 AM

Chop sticks are one of the most useful tools I have in my arsenal, the lint roller is an absolute must, the little tubes that have the strips for use in home INR machines are wonderful for storing needles, the little Altoids boxes are perfect for storing those buttons that I have no idea where they came from but can't part with, a block of wood 4" x 4" with a dowel stuck in at one end makes a fantastic spool holder, metal flower pots with the hook for hanging on your balcony or a fence make great thread catchers at the machine or near your ironing board. I painted mine and put some stickers on them, and now they are designer thread catchers. That shelf liner that sticks like glue under my portable ironing board makes sure it won't move, have it sitting on a card table near my machine. Necessity is the mother of invention or something like that, but quilters are among some of the greatest folks at using items for uses other than the original intention.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:25 AM

I keep one of those grabber things on a handle in case something falls down behind the table or sewing machine. I've used it several times.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:33 AM

I have a grapefruit spoon that I use to help set safety pins
Old 12-07-2015, 11:56 AM

I use a metal carpenter's 6' ruler with clamps from my workshop to cut my batting. I have the batting above my cutting table which is 4' x 8'. I clamp the ruler across the table and then cut halfway on one side and then go to the other side to finish cutting the batting. I also use the carpenter's "L" metal ruler to make sure my quilt sides are staying square while quilting on the frame. I have a slot along my dead bar that I can slip the L ruler into to make sure it square with the frame. I use laser lights with degrees marked on them to align the bottom of the quilt when I'm at the last part of it. Sometimes I have to shift this way or that way to get it even across the frame. Using the laser light and turning off the lights makes it quick work for me.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:23 PM

Swim noodles- cut in 6 or 8" lengths, run a long shoe string through it and you have a binding buddy. Just roll your binding on it as you press . When ready to attach binding hang it around your neck and binding rolls right off. Also cut in longer lengths you can roll table runner, baby quilt & other small projects onto a noodle. I use a clean mascara brush to clean out my machine.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:35 PM

I use Tupperware lids for circle templates.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:45 PM

Painter's tape for sewing guide and to act as a third hand (tape things down) when cutting etc. Pant hangers to hang cutting mats and stencils when not in use. A drinking glass that was my mother's to hold pens, small rulers etc handy.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:54 PM

I used plastic boxes with dividers from Sears to hold buttons, snaps, some decorative threads and general small stuff. I also use large washers as pattern weights when cutting out patterns with the rotary cutter. I also use divided trays from the office supply store to hold gauges, markers, thimbles and small stuff I like to have on my sewing table ready to use.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:10 PM

A hammer to bang those pesky thick seams when making pillows cases, etc, into submission. A few good wacks and the piece just glides under the presser foot without even a bump. A re-purposed toilet paper tube with a slit cut into it for a binding roll. Made a slit in the center and slip the end of the binding into after pressing in half, roll up the binding as it's pressed, take it to the machine and place on the right hand side of the table and unroll as needed. If you have a thread stand which I use all the time to wind bobbins so I don't have to unthread the machine, you can also use the post to hold the binding tube in place.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:42 PM

I am using the top of those pails you can get from Home Depot. I am making some round placemats.