Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
unconventional sewing room tools >

unconventional sewing room tools

unconventional sewing room tools

Old 12-07-2015, 07:58 PM

I robbed my hubby tools and some fishing things. I took his ice pick and I use that to pick stiches out on the quilting machine, his hard plastic fishing ruler that I use when cutting wide strips of cloth or batting. his hammer, I also take plastic hose like they use in milk lines and cut that as wide as my bobbins and cut a slit in it and put over my bobbin so the thread don't come lose. and im still keeping an eye out for other things he may have lol
Old 12-07-2015, 08:41 PM

OK, am I the only one to use this particular item, or the only one who will admit to it?

I had some thread that slipped off the spool. I could not find my thread nets, so what did I use? A condom. It worked perfectly. I just snipped a hole in the top for the thread to pass through. I have since kept a supply on non lubricated condoms in my sewing box.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:16 AM

Love my metal retractable tape measure. I use it a lot esp. When i want to rearrange furniture, etc. And, yes, i have my own tool box in my sewing room. Hammer, screwdrivers, a level.

Sandy
Old 12-08-2015, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
OK, am I the only one to use this particular item, or the only one who will admit to it?

I had some thread that slipped off the spool. I could not find my thread nets, so what did I use? A condom. It worked perfectly. I just snipped a hole in the top for the thread to pass through. I have since kept a supply on non lubricated condoms in my sewing box.
i would LOVE To be at your guild when you share this tip!

I buy those tiny hair bands that are knit, soft and squishy. Then I put the bobbins on large notebook rings. I hang them on my sewing machine hooks.

sandy
Old 12-08-2015, 06:42 AM

I have a magnet. These are good for retrieving metal objects that may fall inside an old machine. I don't know if this is true, but I've been told to be careful when using magnets near computerized machines.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:06 AM

Tothill, now that's a clever way to use those dang things. Cute idea but don't get them mixed up with the ones you might still use...................not knowing your age. I use the nets from the florist shop as they just throw them away anyway and they're free. Most are twice the length you need so you can get 2 out of 1 net. Have them on all my embroidery threads.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:23 AM

Ok, not much makes me go hummmmmm, but tothill your "unusual tool" has my mind in a whirl. Reminds me of something that happened when my kids were little. I was in a mini mart on a Marine Corps base and my son had just learned to sound out words. He spotted a package of condoms near the register and sounded out the name "Trojans" in a very loud voice. Then he asked, Mom, what's a Trojan? and the Marine ahead of us in line responded, yes, Mom. What's a Trojan? It seemed like to me that the mini mark became deathly quiet as everyone waited to hear my definition of a Trojan. My response was "It's a horse. See the picture on the package." OMG! I could not check out fast enough.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:50 AM

I hang my rulers from shower hooks hung on a curtain rod. My sewing room has windows on 3 sides so I put the curtain rod inside the window frame, would love to have pegboard but machine and surround sits against only wall w/o a window so am limited as to where I can store rulers. Works for me.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

I got one long time ago at Big Lots for $7. Couldn't pass it up. Found another one at local hardware on sale for $4.50 because of broken hinge. Dh fixed the hinge. He says I have more toolboxes than he does. Bout 50-50 actually.
Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
I have a double sided fishing tackle box with clear covers, and adjustable inserts. It's about 11 x 14. I use one side for thread, and the other side for just about all my other "gadgets" that I have. I love I and wished I had another one...just can't remember where I got it!
Old 12-08-2015, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

I have to laugh because my niece was with me the other day at JOAnns' They had packages of finger cots. She just looked at me and put them back. They look like micro-mini condoms. Had to laugh when she told her mom what she saw and said they should get some for the doxie, Oscar. That's all I'm saying.
Originally Posted by Tothill View Post