Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Unusual Christmas gifts--do you give them? >

Unusual Christmas gifts--do you give them?

Unusual Christmas gifts--do you give them?

Old 11-24-2010, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by mommamac
Originally Posted by redvette54
About 20 years ago, I went to a craft auction with a friend, there were great crafts there, except for this. I really can't find words for it, so I'll have to take a picture. When it came up for auction, no one bid on it. Since I've always done crafts and was feeling sorry for the person who made and donated it. I bid $5 and won it. My friend thought I'd lost my mind. So at Christmas I wrapped it up and gave it to my Mom. Well, the next Christmas, I got it back, and this went on for years. We would sometimes put it in a big box with something heavy. Then one year we started adding things to it. Mom died 10 years ago, and I couldn't find it. I figured Mom knew, that last Christmas, she wouldn't be here for the next one and threw it away. So 10 years have passed and my life has had it's ups and downs. I had gotten divorced, met my present husband. However, I've stayed friends with my ex, I groomed his dog and we would dog sit for each other. Over the summer, I called him at the last minute and asked him to come over and let the dogs out, when I got home, it was hanging on the wall. After a good laugh, I called him. He told me he had found it when we cleaned Mom's house and took it and hid it, he said he didn't want sad memories around something we had so much fun with. He said the time was right to give it back to it's rightful owner. Now, I'm sure you're wondering why I divorced this guy, well, he liked other women and he's a better friend to me than a husband. I'm thinking about wrapping it up and sending it to him this year, just to keep it going.
love your story - I say keep it going!
I agree, keep it going. What a great story and what a great person you are to have bid on it when no one else did. :thumbup:

I wish I had something to add to this, but I don't. I am thoroughly enjoying reading the creativity other people have and I'm getting some ideas. Keep it up! :D
Old 11-24-2010, 08:11 AM

I have given Santa's Longjohns (made with 2 pair tube socks), Rice bags, "rock" soap, and kitchen witches (made with potholders and dish towels). I have also "wrapped" my packages in empty vegetable cans (well washed of course) that have to be opened with a can opener.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:29 AM

One year when my brother's family was just getting by and no money for extras I gave them a do it yourself dessert kit. It had cute dishes (from a yard sale), boxes of pudding, whipped topping mix, nuts, cherries, and anything else I could find to make a treat. My sister in law was so impressed that she told everyone about it for years. This year for my mother, since she dosent need anything and is short on space, I am making her a "shareing quilt. It has a label that says this quilt is to keep and use as long as you enjoy or have need of it. When you see someone else who needs it's love and warmth more than you, please pass it on. Love and blessings. KB 2010
Old 11-24-2010, 08:55 AM
BMP

All such nice memories...
Old 11-24-2010, 10:17 AM

At the annual family reunion there is an ugly mens sport coat that is passed around each year. They been doing this as long as I have been in the family, 36 years, and whoever gets it brings it back wrapped so no one knows what it is. It is placed with the rest of the "white elephant" gifts that are auctioned off to pay for the next years party. It always creates a good laugh.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:47 AM

our staff at school did this but it could be done with a large family

Take a holiday related word i.e. Christmas - the first year everyone had to buy & wrap a gift beginning with the letter 'c' (candle, cookbook, CD, car wash tickets ...) the next year the gift had to start with the letter 'h' and so on. We set a min./max price so all were of equal value somewhat.

To exchange the gifts we had a yankee swap but you could also just number the gifts and randomly pass out numbers to participants. Person unwraps gift with their # on it.
What is a Yankee Swap?
Old 11-24-2010, 11:26 AM

We start xmas eve with a pink elephant game. Each person wraps 3 unwanted but useable gifts in newspaper. Each person puts in $1 into a kitty. There is a Golden screw large which is hidden in the pile of stuff. We shake dice and if you get a 7 or eleven you get to choose a "gift".
It could be a plunger, can of soup, vase. there are a lot laughs.DH always puts in a can of vienna sausages, the kids go wild if they get that. Whoever gets the Golden screw gets all the $$.
When the neices were teens I collected and numbered catalogs.
I had a $$amt in mind. I called each neice, asked them to give me a number. Which was the catalog I chose, then asked for a page number. and there is where I got their present. We had a great time with that.
Now we do a yankee swap with $25 set price. and a 5$ swap so the younger kids can participate too.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:31 AM

one year DD said she wanted a cadalic for x-mas so DH boxed up a hubcap and gave it to her told her she could get one piece at a time
Old 11-24-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by carhop
one year DD said she wanted a cadalic for x-mas so DH boxed up a hubcap and gave it to her told her she could get one piece at a time
That's a good one!
Old 11-24-2010, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by starshine
our staff at school did this but it could be done with a large family

Take a holiday related word i.e. Christmas - the first year everyone had to buy & wrap a gift beginning with the letter 'c' (candle, cookbook, CD, car wash tickets ...) the next year the gift had to start with the letter 'h' and so on. We set a min./max price so all were of equal value somewhat.

To exchange the gifts we had a yankee swap but you could also just number the gifts and randomly pass out numbers to participants. Person unwraps gift with their # on it.
What is a Yankee Swap?
official rules - http://mullenclan.com/misc/YankeeSwapRules.htm