Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Unusual Christmas gifts--do you give them? >

Unusual Christmas gifts--do you give them?

Unusual Christmas gifts--do you give them?

Old 11-24-2010, 12:36 PM

[quote=great aunt jacqui]We start xmas eve with a pink elephant game. Each person wraps 3 unwanted but useable gifts in newspaper. Each person puts in $1 into a kitty. There is a Golden screw large which is hidden in the pile of stuff. We shake dice and if you get a 7 or eleven you get to choose a "gift".
It could be a plunger, can of soup, vase. there are a lot laughs.DH always puts in a can of vienna sausages, the kids go wild if they get that. Whoever gets the Golden screw gets all the $$.

I like this - hope my family likes it too!
Old 11-24-2010, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

I am loving all of these stories, thank you for sharing them :D:D:D
Old 11-24-2010, 02:37 PM

[quote=mommamac][quote=great aunt jacqui]We start xmas eve with a pink elephant game. Each person wraps 3 unwanted but useable gifts in newspaper. Each person puts in $1 into a kitty. There is a Golden screw large which is hidden in the pile of stuff. We shake dice and if you get a 7 or eleven you get to choose a "gift".
It could be a plunger, can of soup, vase. there are a lot laughs.DH always puts in a can of vienna sausages, the kids go wild if they get that. Whoever gets the Golden screw gets all the $$.

dear mommo, the premise, is to leave with less than you brought but we encourage the kids to take the big ones, as their parents shout no no. one year a visitor from CA was here and her daughter 7, chose a giant stuffed animal. she insisted it go back with her.....they were flying out the next day.....my DH secretly put it in the trunk of the rental car. what a surprise when they turned the car in.lol
Old 11-24-2010, 03:45 PM

after my children had all moved out on their own, i bought them each a recipe box and cards to match and wrote down all the recipes of meals i had made through the years. i'm not big on cookbooks and make up my "recipes". prior to that, each one would call occasionally and ask how to make something. and i'd say add some flour, oh about a cup or two! well that didn't work out so well, so i figured out the "measurements" as best as i could and went from there. some of the items had unique names like, "kookalalee" because when they wanted to know what i was making i'd say "supper" and that wasn't good enough. so i made up names as i went along. we all know in our family what these goofy names mean and don't really think that they are that unusual! anyway, it was ALOT of work, but it brought back alot of memories while i was making these for them.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by barbshaver
after my children had all moved out on their own, i bought them each a recipe box and cards to match and wrote down all the recipes of meals i had made through the years. i'm not big on cookbooks and make up my "recipes". prior to that, each one would call occasionally and ask how to make something. and i'd say add some flour, oh about a cup or two! well that didn't work out so well, so i figured out the "measurements" as best as i could and went from there. some of the items had unique names like, "kookalalee" because when they wanted to know what i was making i'd say "supper" and that wasn't good enough. so i made up names as i went along. we all know in our family what these goofy names mean and don't really think that they are that unusual! anyway, it was ALOT of work, but it brought back alot of memories while i was making these for them.
reminds me of my mama's 'rice glop' & 'ice cream mish mash'
oh - to turn the clock back...
Old 11-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

Exactly! I know exactly what my Dad wants when he calls and asks me to make him some "Things"...LOL!
Old 11-24-2010, 04:57 PM

I was taking a break from cooking this evening and decided to read all the entrys since I'd posted this morning. I loved each and every one, thank all of you for participating and if anyone else decides to join in--welcome aboard. Some of your traditions are hilarious, some are really cool.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Power Poster

Years ago my Mom bought a gift box that was...well...to put it nicely "ugly as sin". She of course blessed with it with my gift inside. Of course, the next year...she got it back...this went on for years. By the time my Mom passed away, that poor box was covered in duct tape and spit to hold it together. We tied it with string....one year I hid it inside other wrapping paper..but it always appeared. When Mom passed away I got all her Christmas stuff, but I never found that box. I have no idea what happened to it.

For the guys...we passed around one of those ugle ties that looks like a fish..remember those? It might still show up sometime..ya' just never know.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by redvette54
About 20 years ago, I went to a craft auction with a friend, there were great crafts there, except for this. I really can't find words for it, so I'll have to take a picture. When it came up for auction, no one bid on it. Since I've always done crafts and was feeling sorry for the person who made and donated it. I bid $5 and won it. My friend thought I'd lost my mind. So at Christmas I wrapped it up and gave it to my Mom. Well, the next Christmas, I got it back, and this went on for years. We would sometimes put it in a big box with something heavy. Then one year we started adding things to it. Mom died 10 years ago, and I couldn't find it. I figured Mom knew, that last Christmas, she wouldn't be here for the next one and threw it away. So 10 years have passed and my life has had it's ups and downs. I had gotten divorced, met my present husband. However, I've stayed friends with my ex, I groomed his dog and we would dog sit for each other. Over the summer, I called him at the last minute and asked him to come over and let the dogs out, when I got home, it was hanging on the wall. After a good laugh, I called him. He told me he had found it when we cleaned Mom's house and took it and hid it, he said he didn't want sad memories around something we had so much fun with. He said the time was right to give it back to it's rightful owner. Now, I'm sure you're wondering why I divorced this guy, well, he liked other women and he's a better friend to me than a husband. I'm thinking about wrapping it up and sending it to him this year, just to keep it going.
we did something like this too..we passed around the Ginsu knives, they had been making the rounds in our family for years..! (this was when we pulled names to buy for..the family is so big, and we don't always know everyone anymore..so we quit doing it)
Old 11-25-2010, 04:57 AM

In our family it is the lavender nail polish dryer...even the young men get a hoot out of getting it because it is like a get out of jail free card when it comes to gift giving...the originator passed away 10+ years ago but she is fondly remembered when this gift is both wrapped and unwrapped.