Unusual Names

Old 03-02-2011, 10:44 PM

I once new a guy whose real name was Arlie Griddley
I have also met a Itza Crowe, Summer Day, DH has a sister named Iva Orlean. My Great Great Grandfather was George Washington _____
I had a friend also whose Great Great Grandfather was Abraham Lincoln _______.
My favorite name was: Victoria Josephine Bernadette Shefcheck, her name sounded like a poem.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by hannajo
My actual first name is Johanna. I've met very few others, although lots of Joanne's, Joanna's, etc.,.. I've always liked my name, even though people are always mispronouncing it. Now, I hardly notice when people mispronounce it. I was named after my grandfather's aunt who came from Holland. No one in our family met her, but I really like the idea of being named after someone.
We considered Johanna for our daughter's name. My grandma ( who died when my mom was 11) was named Mary Anna & I wanted my daughter named after her. We also liked the name Jo. After trying several combinations we decided on Bethana Jo. I've never heard of anyone else with the name Bethana. I still think Johanna is a beautiful name! :-D :-D
Old 03-02-2011, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by G-maBecky
Originally Posted by hannajo
My actual first name is Johanna. I've met very few others, although lots of Joanne's, Joanna's, etc.,.. I've always liked my name, even though people are always mispronouncing it. Now, I hardly notice when people mispronounce it. I was named after my grandfather's aunt who came from Holland. No one in our family met her, but I really like the idea of being named after someone.
We considered Johanna for our daughter's name. My grandma ( who died when my mom was 11) was named Mary Anna & I wanted my daughter named after her. We also liked the name Jo. After trying several combinations we decided on Bethana Jo. I've never heard of anyone else with the name Bethana. I still think Johanna is a beautiful name! :-D :-D
My maiden name was Tough. People pronounced it everything but tough!!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:53 AM

There have are a few unusual family names in our lot: how does Kezia and Kiela and Boris grab you? They are all "girls" and my name is unusual enough - just drop the au off the end and you have it. As for the fellows, I suppose the most unusual one would have been Frydryk, but we call him "Fred". A friend's family name is "Agnes",however, her mother disliked it so much that she turned it around and named my friend 'Senga'.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by azdesertrat
My name is Kathleen Shawn
My son Is Jesse Phalen (fay-lynn)
my daughters are Shelby Lynne and Kelsi Aileen
and my grandsons name is Samuel Cian (key-in)
I found this an interesting difference - we pronounce our Cian as "Shaan"
Old 03-03-2011, 03:06 AM

I have one of those names you yell it in a group and 20 answer. It's Linda Kay I do have a niece with the name Hanni and another with the name Sherren
Old 03-03-2011, 04:36 AM

Never met an Onalee. My name is Mardi. Not short for anything...just Mardi. I've never met another Mardi, but have seen the name in print. There's an author here in Mich. named Mardi. My six siblings and nine step-siblings all have regular common names, as did my mom, dad, and step-mom. Go figure!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:47 AM

I very seldom meet anyone with my name. Glenna
Old 03-03-2011, 06:02 AM

Well Onalee, I had a dear friend growing up and one of her sister's had the name Ona Ruth. Here is my unusual name, Gradene pronounced (gray dean) I was named after my parents. My dad's name was Grady Lee and my mother's name was Lena Irene, mother was going to spell it Gradyne, or something like that but the nurse spelled it Gradene, using dad's first part and mother's last part of her middle name. I've always liked it, my dad hated it,and I grew up being called sister, because he didn't like his name and didn't call me by my first name until I was in college. I've heard of three others with the same spelling, two whose dads were named Grady.
My dad had three sisters and four brothers:
Troy Margaret, Clois Ann, Billie Maxine,
Grover Orville, Herman Lois, Curtis Maurice, and Doil Plaez.
My paternal gd's name was Rolin Lee, gm's name was Pearl Viola. My maternal g parent's names were George Frances, and Elizabeth Mae. Maternal ggparents Enois and Cora
My daughter is Kara Danene (pronounced Duh nene), son is common Robert Edward. My DH wanted to name son after himself and his dad. DH's is Robert Lee, his dad was Edward Julius - I certainly didn't want the Julius, so we settled on Robert Edward. Dh is called Bob and son has always been called Robert - no nickname or shortened name. DH has two nieces with unusual names - Keverly and Tachel ( pronounced Ta short a - shell)
Has anyone known someone with my first name? Just curious, most people can't pronounce it. I've been called everything from Geraldine, Garlene, to Gardenia over the years. Maiden last name was Kellar - was often teased and called Kelloggs. Kids are so funny.
I'm a retired teacher and had a lot of strange names through the years in my classes.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:19 AM

My DH has Cherokee in his blood, So hes daughter from his first marriage is....wait for it.Agasgv Alasgidahno.- ( one who dances the rain) It took me a year after Him and i got together to figure out to spell the first part, still can't spell the second. Then when i was prego with my son, We decided to name him after his daddy..Wayha-Dekanogia -wolf who signs. Both names get shortened for day to day..And at least with my son I threw Connor in there if he wants to use that later on.. My name is normal Maggie lol