Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Update on Smoker's challenge

Blog Entries
    Although I am not a smoker, I understanf how hard it is to want something so badly ( for me, the addiction is for Pepsi) when you're trying to give it up.
    As a nurse, I also know that it is just as hard to give up nicotine as it is to give up "hard drugs".
    So, congratulations on being strong, and keep up the good work! BTW, my daughter used to be a smoker until she got pregnant, then gave it up cold turkey. After a few weeks, she started noticing that everything smelled funny. She went on a major cleaning blitz, shampooed carpet, drapes, upholstery, etc. Once she got the smell out, she never went back.

Blog Entries
    Well done.

I used to go for a walk when I thought I had to give in to the urge. I consider myself an addict and know if I ever pick up another cigarette, I will be a smoker again. I love being smoke-free for ten years. You will make it!!!

I am so glad to hear that, way to go girl! Yeah, I agree on the smell, I still can't stand to be around it. and can smell a smoker 2 blocks away. LOL I just wish they knew.
    My son did enlighten me He grew up around it and so did I ,so we didn't really realize how it smelt and on our clothes and hair. I love smelling fresh every day. and you will too.

Prayers to you to keep up the good work.

Banned
    WOOOO HOOOOOOO - you go girl (I'm 14 years and counting - LOL)

Great job! You CAN do it. It was the hardest thing I ever did, but I am sure glad I did do it.

Blog Entries
    Been there and done that! Keep it up and you will win the war! I thought the first week was the hardest and I love the feeling of power I still get after many years when I see a smoker. I told everyone I knew I was quitting so it was impossible to sneak one. My husband didn't quit and he ended up with COPD. It is truly a killer. Be strong! I know you can do it!!!!

I am so proud of you. I tried to quit for years and finally tried Chantix (prescription)--easiest thing I've ever done. Only problem was strange dreams for the first week or so. I have been quit for 4 years, 5+ months.

I've been lurking around a bit, this is my first post on your forum and am compelled to respond to your post.
    I quit smoking 4 years ago after having smoked for 36 years (two packs a day). I took up quilting to keep my hands busy. It worked as I am smoke free for four years. I now have:

1. Money to buy fabric : )
    2. I can join swaps as my fabric is not smoke filled
    3. Am healthier
    4. Have used that energy that i used to use standing outside smoking to fill my home with lovely hand made items.
    5. Its a long list of benefits.

Nothing feels as good as not smoking cigarettes, it has been a heavy burden that I no longer carry with me.
    Good luck to you in your journey. Count your days, build on each smoke free day. When it gets difficult and you want to give up just google (images) buergers disease , lung cancer, oral cancer and make yourself look at the pictures. ITs harsh...but it is what worked for me...also red hot candies and black licorace.

Congratulations to you!! That is a great accomplishment.

I sure wish I had your will power. Can you send me some?

Sometimes it is just one minute at a time.

You can do it If I can do it anyone can. I did it over 20 years ago. It takes time for the nicotine to come out of your system so be patient. God Bless!

Blog Entries
    Yep, keep going. I'm working on quitting myself. It's been a little over a month so far. And at times I REALLY want a cigarette badly. I smoked for 35 years and decided I'd had enough of feeling like crap every day.

Way to go!!

I'm so proud for you!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Great job. Keep it up :thumbup: :-D

Blog Entries
    Congratulations! You passed your first test, and many more to come. Just remember how proud you were when you jumped over your "first hurddle"

Kas
    You rock! I know how hard it is. I quit so many times it just wasn't funny. It has been so long now that I can't remember how long it is since I quit. Now my son has started and it is driving me crazy! I told him it was a challenge just to hug him because he stinks!

You go girl!!

I'm so proud of you. Isn't it wonderful knowing you are no longer a slave to those little white sticks? Now - go buy your self some fabric with the money you saved. LOL good job

Blog Entries
    Congratulations!! I really admire a person who can chuck the habit. I have lost a bother and a sister to cancer related to smoking.
    Stay srong.

I am so happy you are being able to achieve YOUR goals. Not important what others think but being able to stay true to self and have the strengh to say no. YOU CAN DO ANYTHING... Keep up the good work you have started. :)

I just quit Sunday night . I'm using patches

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast