Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Were you a smoker

Hi an interesting subject that may help others. If you have successfully stopped smoking, how did you do it.
    I smoked for nion 50 years (tried to stop several times before) I have finally done it.
    I did it by seeing a counsellor and taking up knitting. Can't smoke while your hands are busy, I never smoked indoors I always went outside away from everyone. So every time I got an urge for a ciggarette I would pick up my knitting.
    What did you do? and how many attemps did you have. I had a total of 20 ranging from a few hours to 8 months.

I gave up after my third attempt, I was moveing house and I said to god if you want me in your organization I need help to give up smoking, ( I didn't meet a smoker for 3 weeks and my new best friend had given up smoking just before she met me so we were able to help each other, that was 26 years ago I haven't had a ciggie since, tho sad to say she started again a few years later.

Senior Member quilter on the eastern edge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joan Rosemary
    Hi an interesting subject that may help others. If you have successfully stopped smoking, how did you do it.
    I smoked for nion 50 years (tried to stop several times before) I have finally done it.
    I did it by seeing a counsellor and taking up knitting. Can't smoke while your hands are busy, I never smoked indoors I always went outside away from everyone. So every time I got an urge for a ciggarette I would pick up my knitting.
    What did you do? and how many attemps did you have. I had a total of 20 ranging from a few hours to 8 months.
    I gave it up for Lent 30 years ago and haven't smoked since. I just never bothered to pick up a cigarette after the 40 days were up. And I was amazed at how much $$$ I was saving - cigs were only $1.52/pack then. I hardly ever carried cash so had to write a cheque. Now you can't write a cheque for $1.52, right?......so I'd buy chips, a magazine or two, chocolate bars, etc.. to make up a decent amount to write a cheque for. Those $1.52/pack cigarettes were costing me a fortune!

I found that my mind needed to be busy as well as my hands so I did crossword puzzles, jumble words, ...any kind of puzzles that I had to concentrate on.

A friend of mine quit and put the $$$$ that he would have spent on cigs in a bank account. In a year or so, he had saved enough for he and his wife to go on a cruise!

My husband and I decided to stop smoking after more than 30 years. Bob read up on the subject and found that if you substitute sweets it will help. However, being weight conscious, he bought sugarless candy and every time he wanted a cigarette, he had a piece of candy. It was a ritual, unwrapping the candy, etc. Wish you the best.

I didn't smoke. My husband, Keith, smoked for 40 years and quit about seven years ago. His hobby is collecting knifes. He only buys knifes made in the USA. Most of them are very expensive. When he buys a high dollar knife, he tells me that he is spending the cigarette money his is saving. I tell him that since I never smoked, I have a lot of catching up to do.

Keith tried to quit several times and always went back. The last time, he said one night he coughed so much through the night, he thought he would die. Said he prayed and told God if HE would like him live, he would not smoke again. I've seen him try to quilt so many times and he was miserable. The last time, it seemed like it wasn't much of an effort at all. He said the times before, he didn't really want to quit, he enjoyed smoking. I guess that, plus the fact that he called out to God, is what made the difference

Senior Member quilter on the eastern edge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    I didn't smoke. My husband, Keith, smoked for 40 years and quit about seven years ago. His hobby is collecting knifes. He only buys knifes made in the USA. Most of them are very expensive. When he buys a high dollar knife, he tells me that he is spending the cigarette money his is saving. I tell him that since I never smoked, I have a lot of catching up to do.

Keith tried to quit several times and always went back. The last time, he said one night he coughed so much through the night, he thought he would die. Said he prayed and told God if HE would like him live, he would not smoke again. I've seen him try to quilt so many times and he was miserable. The last time, it seemed like it wasn't much of an effort at all. He said the times before, he didn't really want to quit, he enjoyed smoking. I guess that, plus the fact that he called out to God, is what made the difference
    DH had a heart attack in August. He was a smoker of 40 years. The dr. told him he could smoke or he could live - those were his choices. DH hasn't touched one since. Hallelujah!!!

I picked up smoking while in college. I tried quiting many times but I've never succeeded until the day my doctor told me "you'll never get pregnant if you don't quit". That was all it took. I've never picked it up again and that was 5 years ago. Although, there were times, I feel like having a cigarette. Then I thought to myself, it took me forever to quit why would I start again.

Hang in there, it does get easier. Hugs.

I started smoking as a kid. 14!!!!!!! Isnt that horrible? Come from a LONG line of smokers, so no one really saw a problem with it in our family. Til, they all started havin heart attack so YOUNG. I stopped when I was 17, got pregnant. I wasnt a good teenager, was I? But anyhow, luckily, I had morning sickness SO bad, I couldnt smoke anyhow. Even the smell made me ill, so I guess I go lucky that way. Never picked them up again.
    My Parents, Grandparents, and just recently my Sister have given it up. Sh used Chantrex, I think its called?
    BF gave it up 9 years ago, after being hypnotised. It took 4 times, and it really worked!

Forgot to say CONGRATS on the quiting!!!!!!

Great Job Joan!! I smoked for 37 years and now I am on my 15th month of not smoking. Not sure why I quit-it was just time. I used Chantex and THAT is a wonder drug. I sure like not smelling like a dirty ole ashtray. The grand kids don't say what's that smell grandma? My kids & hubby sure are proud of me and so am I. I have gained weight but I am still healthier now then smoking. It is still a struggle and I think it always will be, it just gets easier every day that goes by. Now my son-in-law is going to try it.

I forgot to mention that since my husband is not smoking, he is the worse critic about smelling smoke. If we go anywhere and someone was/is smoking, he coughs and gags and says we have to leave because he can't breathe. Now, he can't stand the smell of smoke. I remind him of what I had to live with for so many years.

I am so glad you all quit that nasty thing! My mom had to quit, her lungs got bad after 60yrs. She now has copd is on oxygen 24/7 and hardly leaves the house. Now that i am retired and can go places with her, she can't because of what smoking has done to her, PLEASE, if you are reading this, STOP smoking for yourself and your family!

I quit smoking on my birthday in 1997. I had been a two-pack-a-day smoker for over twenty years at that point. My father died from cancer that year and that helped me to decided to to quit. I used the 'patch'; it had just become available for over-the-counter purchase. I followed the instruction to the letter, ten weeks. It was the three step version of the patch, since I was a heavy smoker.

One of the added 'benefits', of using the patch, was vivid dreams for the first week. It was like going to the movies ever night. The patch giving me a steady supply of nicotine throughout the night surely was the reason.

I have not smoked even one cigarette since then.

Senior Member stitchingmemories's Avatar
    I quit 23 years ago after I found out I was pregnant (I just layed them down, I couldn't have handled being the cause of something being wrong with my child because of my smoking) and never smoked again.

I always made a point to explain to my daughter what smoking can do to your body then my Dad became ill with lung cancer and really drove it home to her. My prayer is she will never forget what it did to her grandfather and not take it up. She's in the Navy so is more exposed than ever.

Congrats to being smoke free!

Yup, I used to. For probably 10-15 years. Got pregnant w/my now almost 5 year old, and just didn't really want to pick it back up. Smoke repulsed me while I was preggo, so it was easy to quit. I've had a few slip ups (think girl's weekend, devil-may-care, wine imbibing decision making) but sitting here right now? Don't have any desire or craving to seek it out.

Plus, knitting, quilting, baking, hand busy things make it impossible.

I quit smoking in 1990 after my oldest sister died of lung cancer, since then i have lost two other sisters to lung cancer, they didnt' quit smoking. :( If you smoke, please give it up, i know it is not easy, but watching a loved one die of cancer is a rough road to go. Spend your cigarette money on fabric :)

Blog Entries
    i still smoke, i quit for 3 weeks, while i was in the hospital, got on the patch and then i started up again. i know it is nasty and my husband of 30 years, has never smoked. i smoke outside.

once i quit for 5 years, with hypnosis.then all in the same week, my dog had his first seizure while i was on the highway, my dad passed and my son got deployed..i just pulled into a gas station, bought a coffee and a pack of smokes..worst thing i ever did.

I started smoking in high school, I attempted several times to quit. As my children grew and learned how bad it was for me they were insistent I quit--I just smoked more. One day I had a terrible cold and woke up wheezing--all I could see was me in the not far future walking around with an oxygen hose hanging out of my nose.(this graphic scene is how I did it) No way was that happening to me. I quit cold turkey--left what cigarettes laying on the table for a long time and said that if I was to smoke again it would be those stale cigarettes. Thats been almost 15 years ago. Now I have had a few since then, but then I remind myself how hard it was, so I don't start again. I admire those that are trying to quit, I know what they are going thru. Good luck to any that are trying and kudos to all that have succeeded.

Sept. 29th was my 7th year smoke free. I was hypnotized, the first time didn't work but the second one did.

I've never smoked. Came from a non smoking family. Funny thing tho...my dad sold cigarettes! His job was filling those vending machines...remember those? Every time he filled them he told the people buying them that they were going to die. So, I just never had the desire.

Then I married DH a smoker since he was 13. When our first DD was born the dr told him he had to quit for her health. She gave him a patch they use for drug addicts (not the nicotine ones) and xanax. I threw the cigarettes and ash trays in the trash. He never smoked again. Only took 3 xanax, wore the patch for 2 weeks, chewed a couple sticks of nicotine gum (said he would rather lick an ashtray than chew that stuff) and now it has been 20 years!! I'm so proud of him.

Haven't we all got a lot to be thankful and proud of. It took me ages but I feel I am there. I stopped on the 15th December 2009. I have had a couple of puffs in that time but hated the taste.
    So we should all give ourselves a good pat on the back for succeeding.

I quit in 1988, cold turkey. Never picked one up again. I think (and I'm sorry if this offends anyone) that it is absolutely disgusting and I detest the smell. I can't believe I ever smoked, and am SOOOOOO glad I don't smoke anymore. DH never did smoke, I could have never dated a smoker once I quit, much less marry one.

Happy to be in a smoke free home!!!!!!

I quit about seven years ago, spreading time on the patch over a longer time. My roommate smokes nonstop,so when he is home, I try to stay out of the house. Even after all this time, I can feel that addiction calling to me.

Good luck with quitting!

I smoked for a few years while in college, although it took several days to go through a pack. DH had smoked since HS. We both quit shortly after we got married and I'm so glad I did. That was 40+ years ago. I have COPD now, not from smoking, but probably from the chemicals I've worked around for 30 yrs. I'm sure I would have developed it much sooner had I kept smoking....or lung cancer, or throat cancer, or stroke, or heart attack....... COPD is not curable and I will eventually be on oxygen if something else doesn't get me first. Mine is mild right now and I hope it stays that way for a long while!

I smoked 1-1.5 packs a day for about 34 years. Right after my grandson was born 8 years ago, I was on vacation at my daughter's house and ran out of cigarettes. I wanted to see my grandson grow up, so instead of going to the store for more, I just quit, and it was the best thing I ever did. Except for gaining 30 pounds!!! So now I'm working on heatlhy eating - I have 3 grandchildren now to consider. Amazing how they can be the hammers that hit you over the head and wake you up to what you are doing to yourself. To all here who have quit - congratulations!!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast