Were you a smoker

Old 10-01-2010, 03:58 AM

I forgot to mention that since my husband is not smoking, he is the worse critic about smelling smoke. If we go anywhere and someone was/is smoking, he coughs and gags and says we have to leave because he can't breathe. Now, he can't stand the smell of smoke. I remind him of what I had to live with for so many years.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:07 AM

I am so glad you all quit that nasty thing! My mom had to quit, her lungs got bad after 60yrs. She now has copd is on oxygen 24/7 and hardly leaves the house. Now that i am retired and can go places with her, she can't because of what smoking has done to her, PLEASE, if you are reading this, STOP smoking for yourself and your family!
Old 10-01-2010, 04:20 AM

I quit smoking on my birthday in 1997. I had been a two-pack-a-day smoker for over twenty years at that point. My father died from cancer that year and that helped me to decided to to quit. I used the 'patch'; it had just become available for over-the-counter purchase. I followed the instruction to the letter, ten weeks. It was the three step version of the patch, since I was a heavy smoker.

One of the added 'benefits', of using the patch, was vivid dreams for the first week. It was like going to the movies ever night. The patch giving me a steady supply of nicotine throughout the night surely was the reason.

I have not smoked even one cigarette since then.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:33 AM

I quit 23 years ago after I found out I was pregnant (I just layed them down, I couldn't have handled being the cause of something being wrong with my child because of my smoking) and never smoked again.

I always made a point to explain to my daughter what smoking can do to your body then my Dad became ill with lung cancer and really drove it home to her. My prayer is she will never forget what it did to her grandfather and not take it up. She's in the Navy so is more exposed than ever.

Congrats to being smoke free!
Old 10-01-2010, 04:43 AM

Yup, I used to. For probably 10-15 years. Got pregnant w/my now almost 5 year old, and just didn't really want to pick it back up. Smoke repulsed me while I was preggo, so it was easy to quit. I've had a few slip ups (think girl's weekend, devil-may-care, wine imbibing decision making) but sitting here right now? Don't have any desire or craving to seek it out.

Plus, knitting, quilting, baking, hand busy things make it impossible.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:44 AM

I quit smoking in 1990 after my oldest sister died of lung cancer, since then i have lost two other sisters to lung cancer, they didnt' quit smoking. :( If you smoke, please give it up, i know it is not easy, but watching a loved one die of cancer is a rough road to go. Spend your cigarette money on fabric :)
Old 10-01-2010, 04:52 AM

i still smoke, i quit for 3 weeks, while i was in the hospital, got on the patch and then i started up again. i know it is nasty and my husband of 30 years, has never smoked. i smoke outside.

once i quit for 5 years, with hypnosis.then all in the same week, my dog had his first seizure while i was on the highway, my dad passed and my son got deployed..i just pulled into a gas station, bought a coffee and a pack of smokes..worst thing i ever did.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:05 AM

I started smoking in high school, I attempted several times to quit. As my children grew and learned how bad it was for me they were insistent I quit--I just smoked more. One day I had a terrible cold and woke up wheezing--all I could see was me in the not far future walking around with an oxygen hose hanging out of my nose.(this graphic scene is how I did it) No way was that happening to me. I quit cold turkey--left what cigarettes laying on the table for a long time and said that if I was to smoke again it would be those stale cigarettes. Thats been almost 15 years ago. Now I have had a few since then, but then I remind myself how hard it was, so I don't start again. I admire those that are trying to quit, I know what they are going thru. Good luck to any that are trying and kudos to all that have succeeded.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:23 AM

Sept. 29th was my 7th year smoke free. I was hypnotized, the first time didn't work but the second one did.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:52 AM

I've never smoked. Came from a non smoking family. Funny thing tho...my dad sold cigarettes! His job was filling those vending machines...remember those? Every time he filled them he told the people buying them that they were going to die. So, I just never had the desire.

Then I married DH a smoker since he was 13. When our first DD was born the dr told him he had to quit for her health. She gave him a patch they use for drug addicts (not the nicotine ones) and xanax. I threw the cigarettes and ash trays in the trash. He never smoked again. Only took 3 xanax, wore the patch for 2 weeks, chewed a couple sticks of nicotine gum (said he would rather lick an ashtray than chew that stuff) and now it has been 20 years!! I'm so proud of him.