Were you a smoker

Old 10-02-2010, 06:06 AM

I am an x-smoker as well. I quilt over thirty years ago after smoking for about 15 years. The way to do this seemed quite simple to me...I did not stop smoking, I stopped buying cigarettes. Cannot smoke what you do not have. I have not bought any cigarettes since they went up to a dollar a pack. I figured it was a waste of money, did I mention I am a bit of a cheapo...er I mean very thrifty.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:23 AM

I started smoking while a senior in high school. When I was 42 yrs of age, I had a heart attack. That made me quit, because I was in the hospital for two weeks. Have not had a cigarette in 29 years.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:43 AM

I smoked for 15 years, quit 2 times during that time, once for about 3 mos, once for 9 months. Still can't believe I started again. My last time of quitting, I went cold turkey- was sick of the smell, expense, cough, etc. I quit the day before the great american smoke-out in Nov. That was 18 years ago, and have never wanted one since.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:19 AM

I started smoking in college as "everyone did". Then when two weeks before my DD ws born I decided to quit cold turkey. Whe is 48 yrs old and I have not picked up a cig. since. MY DH smokes, outside, not in our home or car and really wish he would quit but thats not going to happen.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:43 AM

I'm an ex- smoker, going on 19 mos. now,YEA!!! I wasn't a heavy smoker.[ on and off for 27 yrs] 1 pack would last me 3-4 days. That is still no excuse. I got sick and couldn't smoke,Gall Bladder had to be taken out and I never picked them back up.
I played with SILLY PUTTY lol lol lol
DH said he was going to quit but hasn't.[he does go outside]
I have Lymphoma now and the lingering smoke on him is TERRIBLE!!!!!!!
I can't get him to quit!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Old 10-02-2010, 09:52 AM

I started smoking at 11 yrs old. ( had older brother and sisters) . 35 cents a pack !! tried and tried all the ways to quit. then went to a program through work and quit cold turkey on a particular date. heard saw all the info and made a decision. only bad thing was substituted eating ( thought just til I get through the rough part ) ( ha) anywho 2 years later had a heart attack and was told had I not quit when I did , I would have died ! it is now 17 years later and am working still on losing all this weight !! But still thrilled I quit !
Old 10-02-2010, 10:00 AM

I was painting a baseboard and dragging an ashtray behind me. I suddenly thought "This is so stupid! I'm stronger than any cigarette." That was in 1985 after almost 25 years of 2 packs a day and I haven't smoked since. Ego is one of life's great cures sometimes.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:26 AM

CONGRATULATIONS to ALL that have QUIT!!!!!!!!!! I quit 23 years ago. I used ONE STep at a Time filters. Waterpick makes them. Pharmacy had to order them. One time I was busy & didn't clean it & I took a drag off the cig (in the filte always) & all the nicotine came back in my mouth!!!! Ugh!! Horrible!!!!
Old 10-02-2010, 01:11 PM

My husband has been cigarette-free for over a year now. He did it with Chantix, which helped -- but what REALLY helped him were the e-cigarettes. They look like a cigarette, and you get nicotine from them. You puff on them and what looks like smoke comes out of them -- it's actually water vapor. Now he's hooked on those e-cigarettes, but at least no smell of smoke anymore and none of the tar & smoke to damage his lungs. He's hooked on the nicotine, and I think he 'smokes' more now -- he ALWAYS has one in his mouth -- but I don't think that's as damaging.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:49 PM

I started to smoke in 6th grade- does that count? My dad, mom, and two brothers were all smokers. I quite that summer! lol Turned green every puff, but I was so cool!
My mom got cancer and when they did x-ray of her chest, it was so black the Dr. could not tell if it was cancer or from smoking. After 40 plus years of smoking, she quit 'cold-turkey' after leaving the Dr's office. It took my dad a bit longer, but he too quit after almost 50 years. My oldest brother has emphysema, has 1/4 lung capacity on one side and 2/3 on the other. He won't quit. My other brother is quite literally missing and presumed murdered so I do not know if he ever quit. My BIL 's all quit. Nasty smelly habit. Good luck to all those attempting to quit.