Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: "Useful" words - - -

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Quote Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
    If it's gossip - especially mean gossip - "Really? Who told you that?" Often, when I ask for a source, the conversation dies. "Really? Let's go ask him/her about that." also kills the conversation.

When I worked, it seemed that I had a reputation for not spreading rumors, gossiping. I was amazed at how many people would come to talk to me and preface their conversation with, "I know that you won't tell anyone what i tell you..." and then spill their guts about something personal that was bothering them. Most of them didn't want advice, just a trusted, non-judgmental ear.

Lucky for me and them, I never heard anything criminal from any one of them.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________

I am an inlaw to a family of gossipers who love to spread it; but cannot understand why one gets upset when the person they are spreading it about finds out. SO I don't tell my mil anything I don't want spread (just found all this out recently when a sister in law was over and from his so called Godmother -mil's cousin Knew I had been gossiped about for years, but could never prove it... but now I have it in writing !LOL)...

Oh well I guess if one is gossiping about me .. they will leave others alone. LOL
    Last edited by Caswews; 08-25-2015 at 11:37 AM.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

It's usually pretty useless to ask kids an open-ended question like "How was your day?" or "How was school?" I always hated that when I was a kid.

I always have an opinion, but at work I only expressed the ones about the work. When my youngest was 12, she summed it up very well. She was on the track team and throwing discus and shot put. A girl who also was doing those events was generally not liked. My daughters' friends asked her how she could stand being with the other girl every day for 2 hours.

I was proud of my daughters answer. "Well", she said, "If you have to be with someone every day, it's much easier to do if you like them."

She and the girl became friends, not close, but friends. They keep in touch over FB, even now, 20 years later.

I liked the girl, too. She was "rough around the edges", as they say, but basically a good kid. Years later my daughter told me that the girl had lots of problems at home and had a very hard time with school. I like to think my daughter's friendship was very helpful to her at the time.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I'll bet you never knew you led such an interesting life!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

My kids say something similar - they always knew to get the heck out of Dodge when I got "The look of death" on my face!

"Good to Know" comes in handy sometimes.

My DH says " Seriously " Come on NOW.

I usually say "wow" or "well......".

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    When I was up north a couple summers ago, I went to pick up me DGDs. One of their friends got really nasty with their (my DGDs' gma) and said "Whatever, old lady!" I came unglued. Oldest DGD asked if we could take the "friend" home. I said gladly because she wasn't about to spend the rest of the day with us. They thought after shopping. I stated not after the way she spoke to your Gma. Told them if I wouldn't have to worry about going to jail, I would show her what happens when one shows disrespect to an older person in their own home. The girl looked at me and asked me to wait a minute, ran into the house and apologized to their other gma. I still took her home first.

I see! of course! right right!

Power Poster
    I try to avoid using "Right!" when I do not agree with the other person's statement.

My Mom used to always say " Well for Heavens sake" I say it some too but not like she used to

I am impressed

then there's the old country saying (or maybe it is a New England saying) - "Well, I swan..."

Never could figure out where that came from.

I agree with Lynnie, "whatever" is most insulting and it sticks in my craw. I do like the response, "quite".
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

A usually well placed "Huh" (as in I never thought of it this way...) but not said as a question, seems to work. Clear as mud, huh?
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Power Poster
    "Whatever" - when said to my spouse - usually means - "I don't like/agree/want . . . " - but not enough to argue/discuss it any longer.

To me "whatever" can be used different ways. Most young people tend to use it in a way that is very rude IMHO. Shows lack of respect and indifference or lack of interest in the person. But some people just don't have a preference when asks their opinion on something.

Oh my......

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    I use the look-straight-into-the-eyes, "mmmphf" thing.

Jan in VA

Ha ha ha! That's funny, Jan.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    "I hear what you are saying" is a good answer but sometimes I just make non-committal grunting noises.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2