Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Using a Roaster Oven for Thanksgiving Turkey?

I bought a roaster oven a few years ago and never used it. This year I bought a 22lb. turkey and since it will need to cook for about 5 hours I thought I would try cooking it in the roaster oven in order to free up my regular oven for everything else. Has anyone had success cooking a large turkey in one of these ovens?

I know several people that swear by those ovens.!
    Give it a try....

I always do my turkey in a cooking bag. I suppose if you put the bar into the roaster it wouldn't matter how the heat got there.

I use my roaster for turkeys and have for the past few years since I got it.They come out very moist.
    I did a 26 pound turkey in mine a few weeks ago and it was delicious.
    As long as the lid stays shut on the turkey it will be fine.
    I love the fact that while the turkey is in the roaster the oven is available for pies, casseroles,rolls etc.

With the roaster,,,can you put a stuffed turkey in there?
    I've only heard/seen "naked" turkeys in them.
    I like making my turkey with the stuffing INSIDE.

Of Course you can cook the stuffing in it!!! who wants a turkey with no stuffing? EWWWWW LOL just kidding but I like stuffing more than turkey

Hubby has been mentioning getting one for years. I just keep telling him...no, don't really need it.
    Maybe I should decide to finally get one.
    Would make the kitchen a bit cooler instead of turning the oven on and heating the whole place up. And you are right...does free up the oven for the pies and such.......
    So, which one do I tell him to look for? He's trying to figure out WHAT to get me for Christmas, so I guess maybe I could tell him this, since he INSISTS on buying something for me.

Blog Entries
    MIL made hers in one of those things a few years back and it wasn't the same as from the oven. I don't even know what she did differently to make the bird seem more bland. Part of it might be psychological perception coz she had the roaster in the garage and the smell of turkey was missing from the house.

I do like the idea of putting it in the oven for about 20 min to brown it. Gotta have crispy skin! lol

Mine is a GE, got it at walmart
    MadQ that was probably the reason

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    Tell him to get a Nesco at Bed Bath and Beyond. They have them on sale and you can use a 20% off coupon in addition to the sale price. (Thats what I like about that store)
    psst Loretta....are you forgetting where I am?
    We have Macy's and Kmart......

I have a Nesco - got it from QVC years ago. Started with a small one, then got a big one specifically for the turkey so the oven would be free for everything else. I think it's great. Use it every year and the turkey is always moist. I do brisket, pot roast, chickens, pork loin, etc. in there all year round.

Blog Entries
    If the lid won't fit over a big turkey no problem! I learned this from a caterer who said she'd go nuts trying to keep up with cooking lids. Instead of using the lid, use aluminum foil to cover and fold over the edge of the roaster. I do this when the meat is higher than my crock pot. Works the same. My tip: I put the non stick foil next to the meat and them put heavy duty foil over that. I like the idea of putting it in the oven to brown. Thanks for that tip!

Blog Entries
    I have used my raoster oven several times to make the turkey. turned out just fine. So try it!

I cook my stuffed turkey in my Nesco...love it! I also brown it at the end in the oven. I does take a bit longer, stuffed, in the Nesco than in the oven, but I only have 1 oven for every thing else. I also cook a turkey breast in the oven, due to the fact that I have a lot of mouths to feed.

It looks terrific for corned beef and cabbage, too!

I also have and use the different size Nesco ovens, and love them. They certainly do free your oven for other things. I have baked ham, turkey, chicken and pot roast..Also great for baking a large amount of bake beans for church functions ect.

I do a 25 lber every year in my roaster yum yum!!

Blog Entries
    the turkey bowns nicely in the roaster. I stuffed it, and it was the best turkey i have ever made. moist, tender, juicy. I don't think i added extra stuffing around it, like i do in the oven tho. has any one every done this in the roaster? and how did it turn out. my family makes me make the turkey, so they can have the sausage stuffing.

Blog Entries
    i've always wanted a roaster for cooking a turkey or use in summer instead of oven to keep house cooler ,but you guys are right about keeping the oven free for other foods , good tip

Blog Entries
    I'd wanted one for years, and for my birthday on the 8th, qubby got me one! I'll use it for the first time on Thursday...am pretty excited about it! It's a Rival....

I think mine is a Rival, too. I bought it about five years ago and since then I've used it for all our stuffed turkeys. The turkeys are always so tender and moist and I think they get brown enough. Although I stuff the turkey, I always make extra dressing balls that I bake in the oven.

We've run into a bit of a glitch this year, however. My DH loaned the roaster to his nephew to prepare baked beans for a large picnic event last June and my roaster never made it back home. I've reminded both of them several times that I need it back, but so far no roaster. Supposedly it's at the Masonic Lodge. Tomorrow when DH gets home from work he's going to go find it, I hope. If it's not at the lodge then I'll have to roast the turkey in the oven and I won't be a happy cook.

If it's not there, I hope dear nephew can find a roaster exactly like mine, because he's going to have to replace it. Grrrrr....

We have used a roaster oven for our turkey since I was a kid and as soon as I could..I bought one myself. We love it! And, best part is, it really leaves the ovens open for everything else going on w/the day..:)Skeat *Just fyi...we have always wrapped alum. foil over our turkey...great for holding the juices in

Thanks everyone for all your help and great tips!! My reason for buying the darn thing in the first place was to free up my oven for side dishes, pies etc. I'm going to take everyone's advice and dust the thing off. Thanks again everyone and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Thanks all! I'm thinking hubby is getting me one for Christmas :)

Blog Entries
    they have really come down down in price, i think. i saw one at WM just a few days ago, and i believe the price was $29. i believe i paid more than that for mine years ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast