Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Using a Roaster Oven for Thanksgiving Turkey? >

Using a Roaster Oven for Thanksgiving Turkey?

Using a Roaster Oven for Thanksgiving Turkey?

Old 11-25-2009, 01:42 AM

I think mine is a Rival, too. I bought it about five years ago and since then I've used it for all our stuffed turkeys. The turkeys are always so tender and moist and I think they get brown enough. Although I stuff the turkey, I always make extra dressing balls that I bake in the oven.

We've run into a bit of a glitch this year, however. My DH loaned the roaster to his nephew to prepare baked beans for a large picnic event last June and my roaster never made it back home. I've reminded both of them several times that I need it back, but so far no roaster. Supposedly it's at the Masonic Lodge. Tomorrow when DH gets home from work he's going to go find it, I hope. If it's not at the lodge then I'll have to roast the turkey in the oven and I won't be a happy cook.

If it's not there, I hope dear nephew can find a roaster exactly like mine, because he's going to have to replace it. Grrrrr....
Old 11-25-2009, 04:05 AM

We have used a roaster oven for our turkey since I was a kid and as soon as I could..I bought one myself. We love it! And, best part is, it really leaves the ovens open for everything else going on w/the day..:)Skeat *Just fyi...we have always wrapped alum. foil over our turkey...great for holding the juices in
Old 11-25-2009, 04:31 AM

Thanks everyone for all your help and great tips!! My reason for buying the darn thing in the first place was to free up my oven for side dishes, pies etc. I'm going to take everyone's advice and dust the thing off. Thanks again everyone and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
Old 11-25-2009, 06:56 AM

Thanks all! I'm thinking hubby is getting me one for Christmas :)
Old 11-25-2009, 07:29 AM

they have really come down down in price, i think. i saw one at WM just a few days ago, and i believe the price was $29. i believe i paid more than that for mine years ago.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:40 AM

My son in law bought me one!! I just love it! No basting, no fussing, just season, stuff and stick it in the oven!!! :thumbup: before you know it, the bird is done. Just don't take the lid off while it's cooking, sort of like a crock pot, all of the heat escapes. The smell will tell you all is well. Clean up is a breeze! I would suggest that you spray the pot with Pam and line the bottom with aluminum foil for a really easy clean up! Put the turkey on a turkey rack before you put it in to cook, that way it's super simple to get it out. Enjoy! Bon appetite!! :-) :D
Old 11-25-2009, 08:48 AM

A few years ago my MIL had an absolute FIT because my hubby got me a roaster for Xmas! I assured her that it was perfectly ok because I had circled the roaster in the ad and put it on his briefcase where he would be sure to see it. I was thrilled that he took the hint...I absolutely love my roaster. Have used it for both hams and turkeys...they always turn out fine and it does free up my oven for other things.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:59 AM

That's what I do!! See an email picture, cut a picture out of the paper, what ever it takes. One time my honey took the picture to the store and said, I want to buy this! and gave the picture to the clerk. Works for me!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 11-25-2009, 11:02 PM

I have a 20 qt. Rival I bought about 6 years or so ago. I have never used the regular oven since for my turkey's.
Biggest turkey I ever put in it was 23 lbs. Stuff, place on rack in roaster, season, cover thighs with foil (the turkey's thighs so they don't burn)lol, place lid on, and hours later have a nice browned, moist, juicy turkey.
In the meantime, my oven is free for anything else I need to bake.
Also, I have enough space I can put the roaster out of the way on the floor, in another room, whereever so I free up counter space. However, I would not place outside of the home. Need that smell permiating the home.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
cover thighs with foil (the turkey's thighs so they don't burn)lol,
I was thinking I just don't have enough foil for that!!! Thanks for the clarification. :roll: :roll: