Veggie Garden

Old 04-26-2018, 09:56 AM

Our collards, kale (2different kinds), chard and beets have been in the ground for several weeks now. They all do fine even when it dips below freezing. We’ve even had collards stick around through 3 winters. To keep them going we only harvest the bottommost leaves so they eventually end up looking like collard trees. Biggest problem for us is making sure they are shaded in the summer since they don’t like hot weather.

Strawberries are already blooming and our pear and blueberries are done flowering. Our fig has not yet leafed out, but it’s always slow.

We use raised beds and put a tomato in the middle and then either eggplants or peppers and okra around the edges. Lettuces and greens go under these taller plants and really benefit from being sheltered from our hot afternoon sun. Once it starts getting too hot, we generally transplant the collards to a cooler section of the garden- they’re very hardy around here.

We’re late getting our beans in this year. We usually have the seeds in the ground by now. They grow up a homemade trellis and also help to shade some of the veggies that donkt like the hot sun.

We have terrible luck with summer squash due to squash borers- if anyone has any suggestions on how to prevent them please post!
Old 04-26-2018, 10:58 AM

"We have terrible luck with summer squash due to squash borers- if anyone has any suggestions on how to prevent them please post!"

rob i don't have as much of a problem w squash borers here in eastern deserts of washington state but have had in other gardens in other states. i look along stem going back from wilted leaves ..you'll find a tiny little blemish, cut open in slit along healthy area of stem and you'll see a grub. i take it out and smash ..plant perks up and no more die back. the plant stems are tubular and hollow, so by cutting horizontily along stem nutrients can continue to flow and the slit will heal. watch your plants closely ..the sooner you remove the offensive grub the better.
i have trouble growing squash here ..soil bakes, sun too ..soil is silt from ice age floods ..no tilth, resistant to water absorption ..have to dig holes to fill and let it percolate down to plant roots. soil is slightly alkaline, there's huge areas of alkaline flats around here, even selling property with a alkaline spot is handled differently than land w/o according to local ag laws. so i add soil amendments. and i use compost tea to water with all season. tomatoes, sweet frying peppers, melons, squash, eggplant ..things sunburn here ..so greens get full shade morning or afternoon with short mid day exposure to full sun.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the info, Roguequilter. I’ll try that. Never had a problem with squash until 5 or 6 years ago and then the borers moved in. Good to know there’s a remedy.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead View Post
Anyone doing any gardening? I just planted about 10 different veggies. All are growing good for now, but I don't really know what i'm doing. lol I went to a nursery and the nice lady gave me about 50-60
3 gallon pots for transplanting my seedlings. I'm in the middle of transplanting now. The covered all the plants when the rain hit, but some were really beat up. I already have 5 beans. and a carrot about a half inch long. lol any tips or tricks ? Syl
Well, it's 3 months later. My okra, Broccoli, and squash have almost died. They were doing great until one morning I went out to water them and found holes is most of the leaves. Finally found out it was beetles. I am still fighting leaf minors, can't get rid of them. I used a bug spray all around the grounds by the plants. I also used neem oil and it did help a little, but not like I want. Now, it's getting too hot, should be in the lower 90's tomorrow. My onions are doing great, so fresh to taste, never knew what good fresh food tasted like, lol. My little tomatoes taste the best, I was surprised ! The tomatoes have about 30 tomatoes on each plant, still green, can't wait til they are ready. I should be able to grow more in the winter months. Weather here in Florida winter time is usually around 50 to 78.
My Jalapeno and bell peppers are doing great. See ya later
Old 07-16-2018, 08:04 PM

Syl: I am kitty-corner to you across the continent. Our weather is usually milder but we are hot today. You ask for tips. There are thousands from companion planting to the use of manure tea that was mentioned. Try to find some of the old "Organic Gardening" magazines. Another good one is Mel Bartholomews "Square Foot Gardening", and the Expert series also. Is there a garden in the neighbourhood that you have noticed? One of your best resources would be that gardener. Is there a gardening club you can get to? Usually they are helpful with advice and even sharing plants. If you can't keep your tomato plants going don't forget about green tomato relish. I used to use a three section exercise book. One section was for helpful hints, one was for a running diary of what was happening in the garden. I also used to keep a record of where I got a plant from. Knowing what you planted where last year is important information as are things like your planting out dates, first harvest, etc. Garding can be as involved as you want it to be but you never stop learning. Good Luck.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:18 AM

I’ve got a Community Garden plot. There’s about 55 of us. We have hungry rabbit and deer that visit regularly so I don’t plant anything they like. Fences generally don’t help either. I’ve got leeks, onions, tomatoes, squash, zucchini and a row of (required) flowers.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:58 PM

Tranum I laughed when I read your post because I used to have an allotment garden and one year a neighbour's rabbit got away. I couldn't figure out what was eating not only my onions but my Garlic. I thought nothing would bother that but a hungry bunny in winter did. They caught him in the spring and he was fine. I have heard a rumour that some of the wild animals like squash. I like the fact that your flowers are required. That must make such a difference in the garden as a whole.