Ventless Clothes Dryer

Old 06-11-2016, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

DH did something to my washer to make it spin super fast. The clothes are almost dry when they come out of the washer. Many of my thin summer shirts I hang up right from the washer. He said it was a spin speed limit on machines and he upped the limit or something when he changed a bearing. LOL It sounds like a jet engine but it's been two years and still working just fine. I thought I'd be getting a new washer after about a month of his experiment.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:11 PM

I have one and love it. They are not cheap but are tanks - mine is a Bosch. I got it when we needed a stackable washer/dryer for a small space. It has worked very well. Do not hook it into a pipe because it will have a method to remove the lint. Kind of yucky all that wet lint but it works. We live in Florida and kept it in one are sometimes with the door shut and sometimes not. It got warm but it was not obnoxiously hot! Good luck!
Old 06-11-2016, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

Many years ago we had a ventless dryer. It was made that way. There was a container in the bottom to collect water from the clothes and the lint.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:37 PM

I allowed a tenant to use one of them in the 80's, (maybe they're better now)...but it made black mold grow all over the wall. It was awful. You're already in a wet/humid area...I'd be very cautious!
Old 06-12-2016, 05:30 AM

I was in Lithuania for three weeks teaching 85 teenagers to speak English. (Wisconsin English) They had a vent-less dryer that no one knew how to use. There were no instructions in English nor in Lithuanian. If the pans were not emptied, it wouldn't dry the clothes. I finally figured it out. After that it worked well.

I usually hang my clothes outside whenever I can, sometimes even in the wintertime. But my dryer is not vented. When I use it, it is usually cold and the furnace is running and there is very little humidity in the house. We need that in the winter. With my old dryer, there was enough humidity in the air to peel the tape from the dry wall in the corner of the wall and ceiling. Now with my new front loader, the clothes spin so fast there is very little water left in them. Some things feel dry enough to wear. I have 4 lines in my laundry room and a clothes rack (I hang things up that are heavy and still damp), so we are happy to get the humidity into the house when it is cold outside.

Last edited by maviskw; 06-12-2016 at 05:32 AM.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

I can't speak to your issue about modern ventless dryers, but, back in the mid 60s I had a Maytag Porta-dryer which didn't need to be vented. It could be - but it was a 3"vent hose I believe, because eventually we vented it when we moved. I used it in an apartment when I washed diapers in my Sears porta-washer which if I remember was sort of full sized, but small capacity. it washed 20 diapers and the dryer dried that. We lived in a residence hall and I hooked the washer up to the sink and the dryer vented into the room. I put an old stocking (those were the days) over the vent with a rubber band to catch the lint. Drying outside wasn't an option, and we only had two rooms so hard to hang things all over. It was before Pampers. I don't remember much humidity but we lived in the northeast and had a room air conditioner back then. Anyway, this is a nice walk down memory lane and I guess I'm not surprised there is a solution to almost every problem.

I hope you will let us know what you end up with and how it works.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
Many years ago we had a ventless dryer. It was made that way. There was a container in the bottom to collect water from the clothes and the lint.
ewww. I dont want to do that EVER.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:52 AM

We took our vent off the dryer because we thought/were told that in the winter it would keep the house warmer and in Minnesota we can have some wicked winters. Then I found out that if you have a gas dryer, which we do, we could so easily asphyxiate ourselves by not having it hooked up to the outside which for the past 42 years we have had it vented. And we are still here!!!!! The vents on or for dryers are there for a purpose, and if it isn't, get one and make sure you are vented to the outside! WE have had our dryer since 1972. And it still works - must be the vent and hose from the dryer to the window to outside. Good luck to you. Edie